April 2014 Moms

Babies, Hospitals, and Great-Grandparents

M has one living great-grandparent, DH's Grandma.  She lives about six hours away and has not met M yet, nor have we seen her since right when I found out I was pregnant.  We have a trip planned that will take us to see her in about a month.

Well, we just got news that she is in the hospital.  They think it's just a cold, but at this age even that could be deadly.  We're thinking about going up next week, so DH can at least see her just in case.

I really want her to be able to meet M, but taking a two month old to see a sick person in the hospital also doesn't sound very smart to me.  Am I right in thinking that?  Is there something I'm missing?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Babies, Hospitals, and Great-Grandparents

• Even if you wanted her to meet G'ma she might not be able too. Most hospitals have strict visiting rule regarding minors. That's night to say they wouldn't bend it if she were on her death bed. But no I would take DD. Because a cold serious enough to put G'ma in the hospital wouldn't be good for baby to catch.
  • JessimaxJessimax member
    edited May 2014
    Hospitals are gross, babies shouldn't even be born in them. I definitely wouldn't take my newborn to an acute care ward
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm probably in the minority here, but I say take her if they do think it is serious.  When my niece was only 3 months old, my grandfather became very ill and had to be taken to hospice.  My sister flew with her to see him the day before he passed away.  The nurses said that he told them before he went to sleep that night that he finally felt at peace after meeting his first great grandchild.   I would not be able to get over it if my grandparent passed away before meeting one of my kids if I had had the chance to take them there. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• In torn., id want them to meet but I'd be worried about illness and the hospital may not allow it anyways...

I'd at least Skype though
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    Is there any way you can talk to the hospital and see what they say?  They can tell you about visiting hours and policies, and maybe make a recommendation on whether or not to bring the baby.

If my grandmother was literally on her death-bed, and I could bring the baby to meet her, then I probably would.  I don't think a few minutes in a hospital, with proper precautions (hand-washing, etc) would be a big deal for a healthy baby.  I'm talking about a quick in-and-out and not a long visit.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited May 2014
    We thought we might have to face this situation with DH's mother dying a month before Josie was born, and we decided that we wouldn't risk it, even if it was her one chance to meet her. We did everything we could to help her be part of the pregnancy - brought in an ultrasound video, found out the sex when we were team green, picked out names - but decided in the end that we couldn't risk our baby's life and health if it came to that. It's a mixed blessing that we never had to act on that choice. Sorry you're going through this.
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • I am so sorry you are dealing with this. But if DH's grandmother is sick enough to be in the hospital and is on a ward with other sick people there is no way I would take my baby there to see her. I agree with the PPs who said send DH and do Face Time.

• hlm184hlm184 member
    Thanks for all of your advice.  I agree that skyping is probably best, and we'll pray that she pulls through this and we can go in a month and have her meet him as planned.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"