December 2014 Moms
Options

New job/pregnant

I just recently graduated from college and I received a letter from the probation office telling me my test date. When I pass the test I will then go for an interview. Should I tell them I'm pregnant if I get the job or wait it out? I'm so nervous and don't know what to do

Re: New job/pregnant

• Options
    I would at least wait until you have the job and even then maybe give it a month. I got a new job right after I found out I was pregnant and just told my boss a couple days ago. Definitely after they had already hired me and accepted my paperwork. 
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    Ok perfect, that's exactly what I will do. Thank you :)@achickpea‌
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just started my job at the end of last month and just told my supervisor. I would have waited a few more weeks, but my dr is being a dbag about my appointments. So if I were you, if I got the job I'd wait it out.

<CafeMom Tickers>

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    @eliza329‌, I start a new job on Monday. I was 9 weeks preggo when I interviewed 3 weeks ago & I was upfront and honest about my status. Still got hired. But I definitely understand your apprehension!
  • Options
    jenkellenjenkellen member
    edited May 2014
    Don't tell them. Companies still discrimate even though it's illegal and hard to prove.

They are interviewing you based on skillset not on whether your uterus is occupied.

"It's, not, where you are, it's where you're going,
    And it's, not, about the things you've done, it's what you're doing, now"

TTC Journey Began 8/12
    BFP #1 11/9/12, MMC/D&C 12/21/12 @ 9w2d, EDD 7/24/13
    SAs: 2%-3% Morph - RE Official Diagnosis
    Unexplained
     BFN = IUI #1 (Clomid) | IUI #2 (Letrozole) 
    BFP #2 4/19/14 = IUI #3 (Letrozole)
    Expecting Our Elf 12/27/14
    ~All Welcome~

• Options
    ShawllsShawlls member
    Agree with all the comments above. I work in HR for a major multi-national and honestly, you don't have to tell anyone until you are comfortable. The law differs depending on where you live, but in BC (Canada) you only have to give 4 weeks notice before you deliver! (Obviously people you can tell before then!!)
  • Options
    courtd2courtd2 member
    I just went through the same situation. I just got hired, and I've just hit second tri. Not too sure when I should tell them. I'm already obviously showing. Thank god my vest hides the belly.
    first time mom
    BOY  07/12/14
  • Options
    With my son I accepted a job offer 3 days before my BFP. I didn't tell them until I'd been there 3-4 months, I was about 22 weeks. Since I'm tall and was overweight at the time I wasn't really showing and it bought me some extra time. So I'd wait as long as you can. Like others said, employers aren't supposed to discriminate, but they still do sometimes.
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • Options
    I just had my second interview today for a new job and got hired. I also chose not to tell them because I didn't want that to tip the scales on me not getting hired. I'm nervous as to when to tell them though. I am approx. 10 weeks almost 11 weeks and haven't get went for my first dr appointment so I'm thinking I should be ok for a few more weeks not to tell them? I feel bad because they asked if I was committed to long term employment not just a few months and I am committed they just don't know I'll need to take some time off in a few months. I feel kinda guilty. :/
  • Options
    I just had my second interview today for a new job and got hired. I also chose not to tell them because I didn't want that to tip the scales on me not getting hired. I'm nervous as to when to tell them though. I am approx. 10 weeks almost 11 weeks and haven't get went for my first dr appointment so I'm thinking I should be ok for a few more weeks not to tell them? I feel bad because they asked if I was committed to long term employment not just a few months and I am committed they just don't know I'll need to take some time off in a few months. I feel kinda guilty. :/

Don't feel too guilty! Even if you don't tell them until you begin the 2nd trimester, they will still have had you for six months or so... which is definitely more than a few. I think that so long as you prove your commitment and show that youre a hard working in that time and when you tell them about it tell them your plans for return then I am sure they will be happy to have you when you are able to return.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I will wait it out and say something when I can't hold it to myself any longer lol. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    In the UK you legally have to tell your employer at least 15 weeks before you plan to start maternity leave - not sure if there are any similar laws in the US...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"