3rd Trimester

Growth Scan percentiles

Hello!

I just had a growth scan done at 33 weeks and 4 days. The tech told me she will most likely be a large baby as she weighs 5lbs 14oz. She is in the 75th percentile overall. I know the weight can be off by as much as 2lbs but she also told me that baby's stomach is large and is measuring in the 99.9 percentile! I read that a large stomach for the baby can be a sign of gestational diabetes in the mom and they did recently find sugar spilled in my urine but they have tested me twice for this and both have come back negative. Just concerned if a stomach measuring this large could be an indicator of anything else wrong or if these measurements tend to not be very accurate anyway? Any moms told their babies stomach were this large? Would love any feedback. My doctor will review the scan results mid next week - just trying not to worry in the meantime.

Thanks.
Me: 32 DH: 31
Married:
Feb 2009
DD: July 2014
TTC #2: August 2015
Fur babies: 1 Dachshund and 2 cats

Re: Growth Scan percentiles

• I can't really help you, but I had a growth scan done at 32 weeks and my little guy was in the 80% percentile and they had his weight at 5# 5oz.  His stomach was fine, but he is already quite long. The tech and OB (and I do take this with a grain of salt) both said I'd be lucky to make it to 38 weeks.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • They told me my baby had a "large head" which can also "be a sign of GD" but I passed my GD test. This was at 34w. They also said they estimate her to come out about 9lbs but I will wait to see how accurate it really is since so many people told me these numbers are off, all too often. I'm 40w today so hopefully I can find out soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Flip60Flip60 member
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate it. The techs always sound so sure of their measurements and never stress how inaccurate they can end up being. As long as she is healthy and happy that's all that matters to me just wanted to ensure it wasn't a sign of anything my doctors were missing, but since I have tested twice for GD and had it be negative - that was the major concern I could think of. :) Thanks again.
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    Married:
    Feb 2009
    DD: July 2014
    TTC #2: August 2015
    Fur babies: 1 Dachshund and 2 cats

• efino87efino87 member
    I have had three growth scans at 30,32 and 34 weeks for some odd reason. They all showed his tummy and head in the 97% range/3-4 weeks ahead and his femur measuring a week ahead. At 34 weeks he was estimated at 6lbs 11 oz. I am GD negative. I get asked by the ultrasound tech at every appointment if I have diabetes. My DD was born at 35 weeks 4 days and weighed 6lbs 6oz and did not have any health issues, she was just cute and chubby. Some people just have large babies in the same way that some people just have small babies. I wouldn't worry about the scan results, even if they are accurate, it does not mean there is a problem with baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Two weeks ago I had and US she was 6.6 pounds at 34 weeks. I was told her head was a bit big. I go back next week for another US. Dr didn't seem concerned I am scheduled for x section at 39w 6 days due to her being breech. I also passed GD test.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I had a growth ultrasound a couple weeks ago, at 32 weeks, since I'm at risk for blood clots. They said BG was measuring in the 35% at 3# 15oz, and that her head was measuring 2 weeks behind. They weren't too concerned about it, since her abdomen was measuring normal. And, I seem to remember that my son had a small head, too. We'll have another one at 36 weeks, just to be sure she's still growing. I think that the growth scans are more for trending, and to get a general idea of how big the baby is.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cas889cas889 member
    At 32 weeks, my baby boy's abdominal cavity was measuring 36 weeks, above the 97th percentile.  I just had a follow-up this past Wednesday at 36 weeks and it was only one week ahead, back to a completely normal range.  Hopefully the same happens with your baby girl.  
    image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"