August 2013 Moms
Options

bike riding

I am interested in taking J for bike rides this summer. We have quite a few metroparks around here with really nice trails.

I haven't really checked out my options yet but what do you have/suggest? Pics/links?

TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: bike riding

• Options
    I will be watching this too.

DH and I just went out and got new to us bikes. I got an Electra*Townie and he got a Mongoose. We are trying to figure out what is better / safer - the little seats in the front, or a trailer. The both seems to have good points and bad ones. I will be curious to see what mommas in the know have to say.

I have been enjoying my bike a lot. I have been riding around on our property to check fences and water tanks and to do night checks and exercise the dogs. I love it. Couldn't ask for a more comfy, user friendly bike for my situation where there are multiple surfaces.

• Options
    We have a burley d'lite bike trailer. Great for two kids.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How fun. I wish we had more biking trails around here. I miss biking!
  • Options
    lkobriantlkobriant member
    edited May 2014
    From a safety stand point a trailer is your best option. Also, the law here says child must be 12 months and able to hold head steady with a helmet on, that's what most safety guidelines say too. We can't wait to get DS out with us but we're holding off until Aug.

As far as bikes, DH and I both have Giants. We love them!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    lkobriant said:

From a safety stand point a trailer is your best option. Also, the law here says child must be 12 months and able to hold head steady with a helmet on, that's what most safety guidelines say too. We can't wait to get DS out with us but we're holding off until Aug.

As far as bikes, DH and I both have Giants. We love them!!

This. I don't know if it's a law in CO, but we're waiting until a year and plan to get a bike trailer. We both have Trek bikes, but mine is the only one to which we can hook up a trailer. We've looked at the Burley trailers too. The D'lite is nice, but a little pricey. One of my co-workers recommended the seat that goes by the handlebars, but that makes me really nervous.

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
  • Options
    BlueJewelMBlueJewelM member
    edited May 2014
    Look on craigslist. That's where we got our burley. Paid WAAAAAAY less for it. Like 75% of what they are new. The people before us had it for a few years and we bought it when DS1 was little, and still looks pretty good! They are pretty tough trailers.

At the time we were hesitant to get the 2 seater because we only had one kid...but that obviously changed. :) we use it as stroller mainly now. I also load it up with farmers market goodies (without a kid!).

I admit we have put DS2 in it a few times already, even though he isn't a year. We go back and forth to our neighborhood pool a block over in it. He loves it. Not wild about his little helmet though!

DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"