July 2014 Moms

I could have hit a child yesterday with my car :(

My emotions go back & forth every time I think about it. I go between being mad at the parents & feeling so sad that I could have seriously hurt a little child.

I was in the drive thru at Chick-Fil-A & had just got my order. I pulled up just a tad & saw a kid about 4 years old kind of darting around the parking lot to my right. I slowed waaaaaay down. I mean barely scooting since my car is a manual transmission. The kid is running crazy & there are cars everywhere. I can tell he's getting closer to me. I completely stopped my car. I see the parents dawdling around their car & I make eye contact with one of them. He never says a word to his kid & the kid darts in front of me, jumps onto the sidewalk & stares at me. I shoot my head over to the parents & again make eye contact with the dad. Even if he didn't see what the child did he obviously doesn't care that the kid is now even further away from him in a large parking lot with traffic.

They're both still hanging around their car. The dad never says a freakin' word. Not to me & not to the kid. And of course they're in no hurry to catch up with their child who could now dart 3 different ways into traffic. I'm still sitting completely stopped because I'm afraid the child will run out in front of me again. The parents just mosey on across the parking lot, in front of me & up onto the sidewalk.

I was FURIOUS. Even if they seem to not give a crap about the safety of their child...I do. What if I had seriously hurt that child? Not only would I have to live with that for the rest of my life but they could have potentially lost their baby. It was just beyond me how they didn't even have enough sense to say, "Hey, John...come over here. Be careful!" or try to go after him or anything.

It still has me shook up this morning. I know kids can get away from us sometimes & I know kids are unpredictable. Neither of those played into this situation at all. I hope that kid has some heavy duty guardian angels following him around. Thank God he did yesterday. Had I cut my eyes the wrong way for just a few seconds I could have hit him. :(

Re: I could have hit a child yesterday with my car :(

• Loading the player...
  • HuahineHuahine member
    I'm so sorry that their lack of attention put you in that situation.  This is one of my biggest fears.  

My nanny knows two people personally who have killed kids with their cars. Terrible, tragic stories. I'm (admittedly) not the best driver and I worry so much about a kid finding their way into one of my blind spots.  
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh I hate parents who don't hang onto their kids in the parking lots! Especially if mom and dad were there they don't have an excuse.

When I nannied I always held both the kids' hands or at least had the 5 yr old have a hand on the cart rule if we were at the grocery store.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• SkeemerSkeemer member

@huahine That's terrifying. :( Had my son got away from me I would have ran for him, grabbed him, got down on his level & had a very serious converstation with him. That's what shocked me about these people. They just acted like they didn't care. Let's just all get some chicken nuggets...

*sigh*

• That almost happened to me. I was pulling out of my bank's parking lot and a farmers market was set up to my right. A tent was blocking my view of the sidewalk, so I pulled out super slowly. Right as the front of my car was about to reach the sidewalk, two kids came running out in front of me from behind the tent. I slammed on my breaks and screamed. Then came dad texting and walking a good 10 feet behind them. He looked up and mindlessly waved at me for stopping and continued texting. This happened over a year ago and I still think about how awful it could have been.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • HuahineHuahine member
    @skeemer We've had a few of those parking lot talks too. I'm really lucky in that DS1 hasn't shown any signs of being a runner.  Once out of his car seat in a parking lot he has learned that we want him to keep one hand on the car until one of us can take his hand to walk or until we put him in a cart or stroller. That trick seems to work for us, except the part where he likes to run his hands over the dirty tires and then his clothing . . .

The other day he and our nanny were leaving a playgroup and a kid bolted out among the cars. Our nanny stopped just in time to keep from hitting the kid. Another mom saw the whole thing and assured her that the kid wasn't there when she started moving. Nanny went up to the kid's grandmother (who was hanging out nearby with some other kids and moms) afterwards and told her what had happened and explained that if she hadn't stopped in time she would have run over the kid.  The grandmother stood there for a moment and then said, "well, thank you for stopping,"  taking no responsibility for her role in the situation.  So yeah, lots of people are stupid and do not pay enough attention to their kids, which just makes me more nervous behind the wheel. 
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • SkeemerSkeemer member
    @emilyfae OMG, that's awful. I'm sure his Tweet said, "My kids nearly got hit by a car." *eyeroll*

• SkeemerSkeemer member
    Huahine said:
    @skeemer We've had a few of those parking lot talks too. I'm really lucky in that DS1 hasn't shown any signs of being a runner.  Once out of his car seat in a parking lot he has learned that we want him to keep one hand on the car until one of us can take his hand to walk or until we put him in a cart or stroller. That trick seems to work for us, except the part where he likes to run his hands over the dirty tires and then his clothing . . .

The other day he and our nanny were leaving a playgroup and a kid bolted out among the cars. Our nanny stopped just in time to keep from hitting the kid. Another mom saw the whole thing and assured her that the kid wasn't there when she started moving. Nanny went up to the kid's grandmother (who was hanging out nearby with some other kids and moms) afterwards and told her what had happened and explained that if she hadn't stopped in time she would have run over the kid.  The grandmother stood there for a moment and then said, "well, thank you for stopping,"  taking no responsibility for her role in the situation.  So yeah, lots of people are stupid and do not pay enough attention to their kids, which just makes me more nervous behind the wheel. 

This made me laugh. :) DS isn't a "runner" either but on the occassion he wants to squirm out of our grip. And he does the exact same thing. He wants to touch everyone's gross car & wipe it on himself because then he doesn't like his "durty hans" :)

Your poor nanny. I'll bet she was scared to death. :(

• oh we've definitely had those talks with DS.  repeatedly...

i'm sorry that you had to watch someone else's kids for them - it seems like a lot of parent's out there just depend on the kindness/dilligence of others to keep their kids safe. 

unfortunately, my next-door neighbors, as well as the people who live directly across the street from them are those types of people.  nice families, but the 4 kids between the two houses (three of them under 4) are ALWAYS IN THE STREET.  they NEVER look before they cross, and their parents are NEVER in the vacinity because they are too busy talking on the phone or to each other.  i've just gotten in the habit of slowing down to a crawl a couple of houses away from theirs every time just to be sure.

it scares the living ish out of me b/c the people across the street have a 16 year old who always has his friends over - he's a really nice kid too, but i'm positive that his "new driver" friends aren't as careful when coming down the street.  i'm just waiting for horrible news one day :(

• SkeemerSkeemer member

oh we've definitely had those talks with DS.  repeatedly...

i'm sorry that you had to watch someone else's kids for them - it seems like a lot of parent's out there just depend on the kindness/dilligence of others to keep their kids safe. 

^snipped

Yeah it's like people take it for granted that you're going to see their child. Or that their kid won't get hurt. No one is perfect. I hate to think of the outcome if I had looked the other way for just a few seconds.

There's a 3 year old at church that I'm always having to tell not to do things because it scares me. The child once had a play telephone cord around his neck wrapping it over & over. I told his mom, "Hey. Caleb has cords around his neck!" She calmly told the dad to get Caleb unwrapped. Dad never moved. Finally my husband walked over there & unwrapped the child & told him it was very dangerous. Even though the phone cord might not have been a huge deal, what if the kid thought it was okay & started wrapping blinds cords around his neck or something when no one was around to see him?

• SkeemerSkeemer member
    @emilyfae GOOD! =D> I'm sure Animal Control made it their business. :)

• Emilyfae said:
    People are the worst. Not kid related, but the other day I went around to each person at Starbucks to find out who left their dog in the car with barely cracked windows on a 90+ degree day for over a half an hour. I finally found the lady, who was giving a little meeting to her colleagues, and she told me it was none of my damn business what she did with her dog. I called Animal Control.
    OMG - i am in Tampa right now, and it was around that hot yesterday.  i'm on business, so i'm alone, but the temperature in my car when i got back in it after a meeting was so oppressive that i instinctively looked in the back seat as if to make sure no one was back there.  how on EARTH would people feel ok with that?!  it was scary hot...that poor dog...

• Emilyfae said:
    People are the worst. Not kid related, but the other day I went around to each person at Starbucks to find out who left their dog in the car with barely cracked windows on a 90+ degree day for over a half an hour. I finally found the lady, who was giving a little meeting to her colleagues, and she told me it was none of my damn business what she did with her dog. I called Animal Control.
    Ugh friggen fraggen mother *$&@#*(^@... People piss me off to no end.  I wish you would have animal control right there in front of her and her "colleagues".  Good for you for doing the right thing in defense of that poor dog.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @Matthew930‌ Right! Can you believe people leave their kids in heat like that? I know those incidents are mostly accidents, but holy hell! Sorry to completely change the direction of this post.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Skeemer‌ I'm sorry you were put in that situation yesterday, it's definitely scary when kids, especially ones that small, are running around in lots without a parent holding onto them.

I almost hit a kid yesterday too, not as young but still scary. I was getting ready to back out at the park and there had been two kids aged 10 or so riding bikes coming up the sidewalk behind me, I saw one kid but not the other so I waited. They had crossed off of the sidewalk path and rode directly behind my vehicle in my kind spot, I saw his head pop up in my back window. If I hadn't noticed them while getting DS loaded up I would have hit him.

@Huahine‌ DS is the same way in parking lots, once out of his seat he either holds onto the car, my hand, or my clothes until I get him in the cart or have his hand to start walking.

@Emilyfae‌ I would have called too, especially since you took the time to find the owner before calling.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SkeemerSkeemer member
    @emilyfae No apology necessary. :) Dumb people are everywhere. We must vent!

• JayBzoJayBzo member
    edited May 2014
    You guys heard that recent story right? Where that little boy was hit by a truck right out side his home and killed? I think his name was Ryan? I am not sure, it was the son of a popular blogger - the trending comment was red balloons for Ryan or whatever his name was - awful story. It made me so sad to think I could have my baby one day and gone the next. I don't know the details of what happened or who is to blame, but I feel sad for all involved.

Correction: His cousin's home not his home. And he was 3.

• So glad everything turned out the way it did! I am so so strict with DS about holding hands in parking lots and places where there are cars. He is a runner, and accidents can happen in a second. I will make him hold my hand until he's 12 if that's how long it takes for him to walk safely.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • jensaviccijensavicci member
    edited May 2014
    Some ppl don't need children and I stand by that opinion. What idiots.

Glad nothing came from it and that you managed to take control of the situation even when the dumb parents wouldn't.
  • Shame on those parents.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • With cell phones and other technology, I would never let my child be anywhere but right by my side in a parking lot. I have seen WAY too many idiots looking at their phones while they drive. I am glad you were paying attention, but what if you had been someone else who wasn't? Shame on those parents. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SkeemerSkeemer member
    You're right @zarkarella . If I had been putting my debit card in my purse, adjusting my radio or anything that took 2 seconds it would have been awful.

• AMcLawsAMcLaws member
    JayBzo said:

You guys heard that recent story right? Where that little boy was hit by a truck right out side his home and killed? I think his name was Ryan? I am not sure, it was the son of a popular blogger - the trending comment was red balloons for Ryan or whatever his name was - awful story. It made me so sad to think I could have my baby one day and gone the next. I don't know the details of what happened or who is to blame, but I feel sad for all involved.

Correction: His cousin's home not his home. And he was 3.
    Yup. I follow his mom on Instagram. SO SAD! He was chasing a frisbee/toy into the road, and the driver didn't see him until it was too late.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • JayBzoJayBzo member
    @AMcLaws that is terrible. I cannot imagine being the person who hit him either, what a terrible thing to live with. And his poor family, what a cute kid.

• It's so sad that some parents pay so little attention to their children and then care less about it. :(. I'm glad your situation had the outcome it did though @Skeemer‌ . It could've been so much worse, and I'm so glad it wasn't. I agree with @jensavicci‌ , some people should not have children!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know that feeling stays with you for so long!  The what ifs can really get to you.  Shame on parents like this!  What's scary?  There are so many out there like this now.  What happened to just wanting to ensure your child's safety?  Where did that go?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"