FFC

13»

Re: FFC

• hlm184hlm184 member
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    hlm184 said:
    NandaB said:
    hlm184 said:
    I hunt and eat what I kill, but I'm also not opposed to trophy hunting when done respectfully.

DH and I had Kodiak bear tags once.  We didn't end up getting a shot, but if we had we certainly wouldn't have eaten it (though I would have tried some).  
    How is this done "respectfully,' out of curiosity? How is it respectful to kill an animal and not even eat it? Is it something about overpopulation?

BTW, I know this sounds combative but I don't mean it that way. I just don't understand.
    I hunt and eat what I kill, but I'm also not opposed to trophy hunting when done respectfully.

DH and I had Kodiak bear tags once.  We didn't end up getting a shot, but if we had we certainly wouldn't have eaten it (though I would have tried some).  
    Nope. There is nothing respectful about killing something just for fun that you do not intend to eat. And I say this as that wife of a (not very successful) hunter. My dad and husband enjoy hunting. They primarily hunt duck, geese, and quail. My dad also goes on a yearly deer hunt where they camp for weeks and only use bows and arrows because it is more challenging. They always eat what they kill. They enjoy being in nature, the commraderie, and they enjoy the challenge. I am sure there is also a sense of satisfaction that they can provide food for their family if need be. @letranger - I would compare it to the sense pride and of self reliance that you feel that you can fit your whole family on your bike to escape the zombie apocalypse while the rest of us chumps are stuck on the freeway. But shooting a bear just cause you can? Shitty.
    Clearly we disagree.  *shrug*
    But what's the point?
    What's the point of what?  I explained further up this page why some trophy hunting can be beneficial.  I can explain further if you need?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Umm My FFFC: I was downstairs sweeping and dusting with DD1 and thought, Wow, DS is being so quiet. I wonder if he fell asleep. Nope! I went upstairs and saw that his bedroom door was closed. OMFG!!! I totally forgot that I put him on a 5 minute time-out for throwing toys in the loft and being too rough with his sister... that was 35 minutes ago. MOTY? When I walked in I gave him a hug and asked how he was doing. He said, "Oh fine, just playing Lego Batman," which he was. See, he needed some time to chill, and playing on his own is good for him. If he were upset he would have cried. Right?
    My parents totally did that when I was younger ;) They put me in timeout and then started watching a movie. They forgot about me and I sat on my bed for 40 mins waiting patiently lol. At least your DS got up to play and made better use of his 'time'.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, you said, some. So I assume, not all. I guess I mean, what do you get out of it? You aren't putting food on your table and I'm guessing you're actually not that passionate about brown bears as a species. So why go out and shoot an animal just to shoot it?
  • hlm184hlm184 member
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Well, you said, some. So I assume, not all. I guess I mean, what do you get out of it? You aren't putting food on your table and I'm guessing you're actually not that passionate about brown bears as a species. So why go out and shoot an animal just to shoot it?
    Me personally or in general?  Personally I went on the hunt for several reasons in no particular order - it was an adventure, a challenge, these hunts are part of the conservation management, I'd love a bearskin rug, it's very common to do in that location (and we try to immerse ourselves in local culture/activities when we move to a new area) to name a few.
  • hlm184hlm184 member
    feffy11 said:
    I might keep an animal trophy if the thing had attacked me. Then I might stuff it and show people, "Look! That fucker tried to kill me!"
    That's actually illegal in Alaska!  If you kill it in defense of life or property, you have to salvage everything and donate it to the state.  Meat goes to shelters and food banks and the hides/horns get auctioned off in the spring.
  • Luckey4 said:
    Gastro said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Luckey4 said:
    Oh someone asked about the weight thing and attraction. He has lost almost 40lbs and looks a lot better. I have come to realize that he is never going to be drop dead handsom to me. Now that i know that i feel can move on a bit and really enjoy how attracted to him i am emotionally and mentally. I know i would never want to be without him.

I'm incredibly sad for your H. What if the shoe was on the other foot? It would suck huh?
    This was hashed out in like  pages a few months ago.

I remember but, I feel like it's an attention thing. Why bring it up again, KWIM?
    Better she do it here and try to work through her feelings then seriously jeopardize her marriage.

Very true. Good to see it from a different view. It just rubbed me the wrong way at first.
    I only mentioned it because someone asked about it. And I am an extremely honest person.  I know partly what it feels like. When I was pregnant DH wouldn't come anywhere near me. Even kissing my seemed like a struggle for him, no other affection was shown from him for 9 months. Pregnancy is an extreme turnoff for him because all he can think about is that there is someone else inside me. Which now that I think about it might be when our attraction problems really started... hmmmm.... That is something else for me to think about. I know my feelings were extremely hurt by his full out rejection of me.
    Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• hlm184hlm184 member
    gwapes said:
    So you can't kill it for attacking you but you can for funsies? 
    No, you can kill it for attacking you, but you can't keep any trophies from it.
  • This has been a fun FFC thread. Eating pigeons, marriage is hard work and hunting. And no drama just to create drama. 
    I have another FFC: Sometimes I miss Hav... and then it is UO or FFC day and I enjoy that she isn't here anymore creating drama. We all seem to get along so much better and productivly now. :)

• hlm184hlm184 member
    gwapes said:
    ah I misunderstood. Can you keep a trophy if you do it for fun?
    Yes, and you're often required to - it's a serious felony to leave (meat/hide/antlers/whatever depending on species and time of year) in the field.
  • auroraloo said:
    I got to page 5 and quit. hunting is boring.

I have no confession today other than I am TERRIFIED to teach high school.
    I don't blame you. High schoolers are little shits (myself included ;) ). You'll do fine!

BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Confession: I believe in Ghosts. Flame away
    DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    I never did until I worked in a historic village. There were a few too many experiences when alone in old houses for me not to believe at this point. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CnAmom said:

Confession: I believe in Ghosts. Flame away

I have one in my house.

How old is your house?
    DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have seen them, felt them, heard them... I have a very *interesting* family history.
  • Everyone in this board knows I am a huge hunting and gun safety advocate. That bring said making your kid become a killer to continue to eat meat is one of the most fucked up things I have heard on the bump. Absolutely atrocious parenting.

I was thinking this as well. My Dh is a hunter and I am very much not. We both eat meat. If Ds wants to hunt I know Dh would be very happy to teach him and bond over that hobby together. But if not that is okay as well. Ds won't have any pressure in him to hunt. At this point I think he will probably try it because Dh does it.

• CnAmom said:

CnAmom said:

I have one in my house.

How old is your house?
    I would guess it was built in the 70s maybe? We're renting and I don't think they ever told us.

What kinds of things happen?
    I have one in my house.
    How old is your house?
    I would guess it was built in the 70s maybe? We're renting and I don't think they ever told us.
    and THIS is where i bail.

sitting alone in a dark house right now is not the time for a CnA "houseguest" story!!! i'd rather see face gauges
    8-X

• CnAmom said:

CnAmom said:

I have one in my house.

How old is your house?

and THIS is where i bail.

sitting alone in a dark house right now is not the time for a CnA "houseguest" story!!! i'd rather see face gauges
    8-X

LOVE the skull face. LOL! Today DS got himself dressed and was so proud. He put on khaki shorts and a skeleton jammie top. It's 85* today, and almost June. He is so my kid! Halloween year-round in this house.

• CnAmom said:

LOL I forgot I'm supposed to put a warning on my ghost stories.

OH I'm newer here, you must have mentioned this before. I love a good Ghost story!

• CnAmom said:

Lights turn on and off, cabinets and doors open one their own, the toilet lid that was down apparently opened and then slammed shut, and one of the vertical blinds on the front window likes to swing out from the window. Just the one.

Can someone post the octopus NO .gif? I feel that would be appropriate here.
  • confession - i finally have an avatar & i'm a little miffed that it's not showing up.
  • Erin KM said:
    confession - i finally have an avatar & i'm a little miffed that it's not showing up.
    You have to hit save a bunch of times.
    like magic. thanks :)

• Erin KM said:

confession - i finally have an avatar & i'm a little miffed that it's not showing up.

Colorful nerd candies?

• Erin KM said:
    Colorful nerd candies?
    darn tootin'.

• Erin KM said:

Colorful nerd candies?

darn tootin'.

I'm laying in bed eating jelly beans. I just ran out of rainbow Twizzlers. Now I want nerds!!

• Funsies
  • Sorry @scatteredtrees‌ I guess I started it. ;;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"