October 2013 Moms

Let's talk sewing

Kimbo's BW post got me thinking about sewing. Every time I go into Big Lots, I see a sewing machine for $40. It's not a tiny little mending one, it's for real jobs. I keep thinking I want to buy it, but then I think, "will I really use this??"

I've used sewing machines a of couple times, but I'm no expert. Those who sew: did you teach yourself? Was it easy to learn? Do you use your machine so often you can't imagine not having it? Should I just shut up and buy it??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Let's talk sewing

• I totally would buy it just to make things for little man!

• I mostly only see things that require a straight line. Lol. But I love having it and couldn't imagine not having it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I got a decently nice machine for my 16th (?) bday and I love it! I don't use it all the time and I'm by no means a pro but I love having the option to use it and like other PPs said mending around the house is nice . I've made a few quilts, pillows, hats, headbands and lots of just random stuff over the years :) get it!
  • bionicbbionicb member
    Im scowling learning. My mom has taught me a lot and my mil is teaching me a lot as well. I just finished a satin boarder on a fleece blanket and while not perfect im very happy. Both my machines are hand me downs but for $40 I say go for it! Its a learning experience if nothing else.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                                                   photo 996da08d-6a8f-4ffe-b18d-94023659b1ef.jpg
  • bionicbbionicb member
    Scowling = slowly
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                                                   photo 996da08d-6a8f-4ffe-b18d-94023659b1ef.jpg
  • $40 is really inexpensive for a sewing machine, but it will probably be a great learning machine. Are you able to try it out first to make sure you like how it runs?

There are tutorials to make anything you can think of. I am mostly self taught. My grandma tried to teach me but I never listened closely so aside from the memory of her trying to teach me, I pretty much started from scratch. I made everything in the nursery including a crib skirt, pillow shams, a quilt, my diaper bag, a few toys, and most recently blackout curtains for my sister. I find myself looking at the construction of items and thinking of how I could build them myself. I have done whole slip covers for my couches and reupholstered a rocker. I also might have a minor fabric addiction, I buy it first and then try to think of what I can make.
  • $40 is really inexpensive for a sewing machine, but it will probably be a great learning machine. Are you able to try it out first to make sure you like how it runs?

There are tutorials to make anything you can think of. I am mostly self taught. My grandma tried to teach me but I never listened closely so aside from the memory of her trying to teach me, I pretty much started from scratch. I made everything in the nursery including a crib skirt, pillow shams, a quilt, my diaper bag, a few toys, and most recently blackout curtains for my sister. I find myself looking at the construction of items and thinking of how I could build them myself. I have done whole slip covers for my couches and reupholstered a rocker. I also might have a minor fabric addiction, I buy it first and then try to think of what I can make.

Ok, a diaper bag, couch slip covers, crib skirt... You have some serious talent!

I might just get the machine. I can't try it, but I have no shame returning things I don't like

• I bought a sewing machine 7 years ago for 300 bucks.  I have never used it...... but for 40 there isn't too much of a loss.  I keep thinking "one day...."  I would rather learn to knit though.
    ilpzGb9YMK6JFtCM1BtfCpGczM5WOmU6_lg.jpgimage
  • freedaday said:

I bought a sewing machine 7 years ago for 300 bucks.  I have never used it...... but for 40 there isn't too much of a loss.  I keep thinking "one day...."  I would rather learn to knit though.

I tried to teach myself how to knit. It was cute.

@jgslr‌ now that he's sleeping I can do some quick things. I should be exercising, but yeah.

• edaireedaire member
    Am I the only one that read this as "let's talk screwing"? #teamnosex
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have my grandma's very cool turquoise old Singer - maybe from the 60's?  It's heavy duty.  My goal was to learn how to use it before Max came.  Alas - effed up that goal bc it was too heavy to lug to a class when i was pregnant.  So it sits beside me every day not being used.  I am so jealous of all of those who know how to sew - hoping I'll learn sometime soon!  

imageimageimage

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • that is truly awesome.  My daughter would love it.
    ilpzGb9YMK6JFtCM1BtfCpGczM5WOmU6_lg.jpgimage
  • I taught myself two years ago. I made my husband a huge t-shirt quilt. I picked it up really fast and had a lot of fun with it. I've made three blankets, some hand warmers, and will randomly fix clothes/items around the house. I say for $40 go for it!

Jude Beckham 10/23/2013   Sean & Chels 03/08/2012

• @FutureMrsFugattLarson‌, that is awesome! I feel like I could attempt that! But as more of like a taggie amoeba rather than an actual shape.

@chelseyestelle‌ in my head I pictured making a quilt from my son's outgrown baby clothes!

• I was in the fashion industry and I learned to sew in school ... Not really much to it. You would think with my background I would be sewing up a storm ... But I was so overwhelmed w school projects that I burnt myself out.

I do have a sewing machine and I made DDs comforter and I also made my dog a dress ... It's fabulous!

I have fabric here that my mom left for me ... Which I think I will used to make her some dresses.
    Get the machine even if it's just to make alterations
    < image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"