September 2012 Moms

Front door painting question

We have two half window panels on either side of our front door. Do I paint them to match the door or leave them white? I say leave them white, but DH said to paint. He doesn't really care but since he said it, I'm wondering what other people think.

painting front doors | Popular colors to paint an entry door : Home Improvement : DIY Network
pretty blue front door // @Sherry @ Young House Love

I think we are going to paint the inside too. Do you have a different answer for the inside (my walls are white and will most likely stay white)?
Make an Entrance: 10 Welcoming Front Door Paint Colors
Interior front door paint contrast

James Sawyer 12.3.10
Leo Richard 9.20.12 

Re: Front door painting question

• I'd say to paint the inside.  I think it looks more finished.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• I feel like if you paint it all the same color it will make the door look bigger. I've seen the outside of your house from pictures and I think it would look pretty painting it all. Did you decide on the color? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it from the inside though.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with @Holly_1007 that it makes the door look much bigger, and so it defines the entrance and makes it a little grander to paint it.  For some reason from your pictures, I like the panels painted the door color on the outside, but left white/the wall color inside, but I may just be weird.
  • PokedotPokedot member
    I'd say paint the side lights the same as the door. Leaving the trim white. Inside I'd paint as well with whatever color you choose. Most of our  exterior doors on the inside are the same color as the walls with white time. I think it looks really nice.

• I also vote paint it all to make the entryway look bigger/bolder.

Maybe on the inside you can just do the door one color and leave the sides.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I feel like if you paint it all the same color it will make the door look bigger. I've seen the outside of your house from pictures and I think it would look pretty painting it all. Did you decide on the color? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it from the inside though.
    A blue grey like the 3rd picture posted above.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I also vote paint it all to make the entryway look bigger/bolder.

Maybe on the inside you can just do the door one color and leave the sides.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Paint the side pieces on the outside for sure! On the inside I think you could go either way, but I prefer the way it looks with everything painted.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AlinnJoAlinnJo member
    I actually like it with the windows white. I like how it makes the actual door color pop. We need to paint our door so now I need to figure this out too!!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like the side windows painted on the inside and outside.

• I'd say paint it all, inside and out.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Sidelights painted the same color as the door both inside and out. I think it looks mor 'finished'.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    Interesting. I guess DH was right.  I looked on the way to daycare today because it isn't something I have ever thought about and most of the neighbors have only the door painted. I only saw one in my neighborhood that had the sides painted to.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Painting (parts of) a house is hard! We are still trying to figure out which trim pieces get what colors.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • I like the painted look. It makes the entry look bigger.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• hmp1 said:
    I feel like if you paint it all the same color it will make the door look bigger. I've seen the outside of your house from pictures and I think it would look pretty painting it all. Did you decide on the color? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it from the inside though.
    A blue grey like the 3rd picture posted above.

I bet that will look great! Post a pic when it is done! Also, I seriously despise red walls, but that last picture is so pretty!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"