December 2013 Moms

**UPDATE**Formula: Where do I start?

Caitlinh27Caitlinh27 member
edited May 2014 in December 2013 Moms

So I'm going to start supplementing with formula, just one bottle before bed I think. I've been putting it off for a while because I've felt guilty even thinking about it, but I think I need to for my sanity. I just feel like my whole life revolves around nursing and pumping and stressing about whether LO is getting enough. He is still waking up every 2 hours at night so if we starting supplementing DH could feed him one of those times and I could get a few hours of sleep. Anyway.. I don't even know where to start when buying formula. Is there a brand that you ladies think would be best to start with? I didn't mean for this to turn into a novel... Sorry!

UPDATE:

I remembered we still had a box of two different kinds of formula from Gerber that we got in the mail a few months back, so we tried a bottle of that before bed.  I had DH give it to him while I pumped.  LO kind of paused after the first gulp but then must have decided he was okay with it because he proceeded to drink 5.5 oz before we stopped him!  No adverse effects from it that we've noticed yet.

Re: **UPDATE**Formula: Where do I start?

• They are all regulated so any brand is ok to start, generic too. As long as baby has no dietary restrictions. There are also a couple organic ones if that interests you. I've always used Enfamil for my boys, although G is now on the Target generic soy. 
    There's also a Formula social group (yep, those are still around, ha!) if you want to join.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We do the same thing (plus an extra couple of ounces on occasion if she seems extra hungry or doesn't nurse well for a feeding or two). We use Gerber Good Start Gentle for Supplementing. It has easier to digest milk proteins, plus added probiotics, which I think really does help with her gas. She usually takes about 6 ounces (which is 2 ounces more than her normal amount if she gets a BM bottle, since it isn't as fatty/doesn't have as many calories as BM).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I new here but thought I'd chime in, I nursed and when it came time to switch I agonized over it we tried a few and she either spit up alot or got constipated finally Earths Best Organic was perfect and has been wonderful ever since! Good luck!
  • Seconding Earth's Best Organic...works for a formerly constipated baby : )

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lp0lp0 member
    I had to give DD formula for the first time last week when I had to leave her with my mom and wasn't able to get anything out when I pumped. I gave her Similac for Supplementation. Honestly I was upset (more so because I felt like a failure for not being able to supply enough for her) but it was fine. She took it with no problems and had no tummy issues.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Thank you so much ladies!

• Just chiming in: i love target's version of similac sensitive. We actually think it works better than the name brand!

Also, remember, baby's poop will change. Do not freak out. Expect a peanut butter consistency, and more smelly. Baby might also get a bit constipated at first. Also, keep gas drops on hand in case of a small tummy ache.

...And dont expect LO to take it right away.......we tried for the same reasons basically and she flat out refused. I then tried a 50/50 mix and still NEWP.  Guess we might have to try a different kind?

• Do you guys use bottled water or water from the tap?

• If you're looking for an organic, I think Baby's Only is about the best. Someone here posted a link that compares the various organics and that one by far is the best one. I wish I could find that link. Have to order it online though. LO likes the taste and he is super picky about formula.

Anyhow, we just used tap water when we supplemented. If you live in a city that has decent water it's probably fine. If you have well-water, might want to think about bottled. And agree with PPs, don't buy a lot until you know it's something they will like as they might not like the taste and you might have to play around with different brands.  

And I'm sure you already know this, but if you don't pump to replace the formula feeding your supply will go down, then you need more formula, etc. Can be a bit of a slippery slope and you can end up EFF quickly. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Do you guys use bottled water or water from the tap?

Bottled

I boiled my water and let it cool to room temp .

• Well first off start by not feeling bad. No sense in it. Baby is fine. Second, just pick a formula. We use Similac Sensitive and that's the only one he's ever liked. Couldn't even use the Target brand. Also buy a couple of bottles {unless he's had BM from a bottle and you have some already} maybe two types to start. Like PP mentioned poop will change and he could be constipated, but a pro-biotic added to the bottle will help with that. 
  • Thank you @AlexJohnson840‌ I was pretty sure our water here is fine.

• KateMW said:

Well first off start by not feeling bad. No sense in it. Baby is fine. Second, just pick a formula. We use Similac Sensitive and that's the only one he's ever liked. Couldn't even use the Target brand. Also buy a couple of bottles {unless he's had BM from a bottle and you have some already} maybe two types to start. Like PP mentioned poop will change and he could be constipated, but a pro-biotic added to the bottle will help with that. 

He does get bottles of BM a couple days a week right now while I'm at work, so at least I know he will drink from a bottle. Hopefully he doesn't mind formula!

• I was supplementing recently and LO has a cows milk protein intolerance. I got a sample jar of Alimentum from the pedi but ended up ordering jars through Insurance at no cost.
  • We use the target version of similac sensitive and use both tap and bottled depending on where we are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was supplementing recently and LO has a cows milk protein intolerance. I got a sample jar of Alimentum from the pedi but ended up ordering jars through Insurance at no cost.

Good to know insurance may cover it. While I don't need to supplement yet, I was totally stressing myself out with 'having' to bf for a year because I'm too cheap to buy the special formula.
    I literally had 30 cans (almost $1,000 worth!) shipped at no cost to me. I'm sure that will last me til he's a year!

Good to know insurance may cover it. While I don't need to supplement yet, I was totally stressing myself out with 'having' to bf for a year because I'm too cheap to buy the special formula.
    I literally had 30 cans (almost $1,000 worth!) shipped at no cost to me. I'm sure that will last me til he's a year!
    That's awesome!!

• KateVAKateVA member
    We do the same thing - a topping-off bottle of formula before bed and one during the night. He still eats very 2-3 hours but at least DH can help. I use Enfamil but only because my pedi gives me free sample cans so we don't have to pay for it. Ask your doctor for samples. No sense paying for it if you don't have to.
  • @Caitlinh27‌ I have a 4 pack of the similac for supplementing ready to feed if you want it!

If you're sure you won't use it??

• lp0lp0 member
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• bty19bty19 member
    edited May 2014

!

UPDATE:

I remembered we still had a box of two different kinds of formula from Gerber that we got in the mail a few months back, so we tried a bottle of that before bed.  I had DH give it to him while I pumped.  LO kind of paused after the first gulp but then must have decided he was okay with it because he proceeded to drink 5.5 oz before we stopped him!  No adverse effects from it that we've noticed yet.

Awesome! Im glad your LO took it for ya :)

Did you see a difference in his sleep??

• @bty19‌ No difference in sleep unfortunately

• bty19bty19 member
    @bty19‌ No difference in sleep unfortunately
    damnit. 

• bty19 said:
    @bty19‌ No difference in sleep unfortunately
    damnit. 
    I know :( I had high hopes.

• @Caitlinh27‌ I have a 4 pack of the similac for supplementing ready to feed if you want it!
    If you're sure you won't use it??
    I have a can too that I'm keeping in case I end up needing it, but you can definitely have the little 4 pack! 
    I'll take it!  Thank you!  Perhaps we should set a Sweet Life date and I'll get it from you then
    ;)

• lp0lp0 member

How do you get on these baby food mailing lists?  I've never received a free sample of anything baby-related. 

Just go on their websites and join their mailing lists.

My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• yty0205yty0205 member
    I was supplementing recently and LO has a cows milk protein intolerance. I got a sample jar of Alimentum from the pedi but ended up ordering jars through Insurance at no cost.
    How did you do this?  I'm supplementing with Alimentum as well, and that shit's expensive!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"