October 2014 Moms
Options

Newborn wardrobe help!

I need some baby wardrobe advice! For my son, a spring baby in Florida, I just bought a million short-sleeved onesies, and he lived in them for the first 7-8 months. Planning for my October baby in New York (and a girl this time!) has my head spinning: Socks! Hats! Long-sleeved onesies! Sleepers! Pants! What do I need, and how many of each? Is it worth keeping some of the short-sleeved onesies I lovingly packed away after my son grew out of them?

I'd really like to know what you consider staples for a fall baby. Here's one I can contribute to the conversation for sure: ZIP-up pajamas. Outfits with a dozen snaps were such a hassle.

OK, your turn!
Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14

Re: Newborn wardrobe help!

• Options
    We only bought a few newborn and 0-3mo outfits because DD grew out of them so fast. Seeing as it will get chilly in New York, I would buy more long sleeves and warmer outfits. Enough to last at least 6-10 days. Really, I think DD was in 6mos clothing by 3mos so she went up two sizes in the first 3 months...they really outgrow clothes quickly!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD was a June baby but we live on the west coast where we literally have about 5 seconds of summer, so she was into her sleepers and long sleeve onesies pretty quickly at 3 months.

I would keep the short sleeve onesies as a layer under a sleeper, mostly because you shouldn't use bulky jackets or too many sweaters with carseats. Hats you probably don't need too many of, make sure to have a million socks because if you're anything like me you'll end up losing half of them and end up with a bunch of mismatched pairs. 

As for keeping warm: thick fuzzy blankets should do the trick and/or a one piece suit that can be put on over an outfit. We had one for DD that she basically lived in in the winter and we plan on getting another.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd say go for layers! That way you can always adjust for the temperature. And you can never have too many blankets - especially since they can't really grow out of them.
  • Options
    MneraniMnerani member
    In addition to what PP's have said, I would buy some sleep sacks for night time and a bundle bag for outings. Other than that, I'd get some basic layer-able pants and long sleeves, but not a ton, since they outgrow the 0-3 months clothes so fast. You can always do some online shopping if you find you don't have enough. Also, socks, a few hats, maybe a couple of warm sweaters/coats.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with sleep sacks for sure!!! Also, we did a lot of long sleeve "gowns" with the elastic at the bottom. So much easier to do a quick diaper change that way!
    BabyFetus TickerLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimage
  • Options
    I'd warn against getting too much since they grow out of things so fast in the first 6-9 months.  I remember feeling like so much was "wasted" with DD and outfits she wore just a few times.  I'd second the layers and maybe 10 tops and bottoms so you're not constantly doing laundry, but so they all get good use. 

And I probably wouldn't get rid of those short-sleeved tops, depending on how hot you keep your house.  DD was a winter baby and there were days we had her in light clothes (though we live in Ukraine where the temperature of the apartment buildings is centrally regulated (and where they oddly keep it way too hot!) 

• Options
    Fellow NYer here!  October can have such a wide range of temps that we will be waiting Septemberish to purchase any clothes once we have a better idea of how the fall will pan out.  Most likely we will buy a bunch of long sleeved onsies and sleep sacks, in addition to short sleeve ones incase the house is incredibly warm. I have no idea how many, haven't gotten that far yet! ;)
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited May 2014
    DS is an October baby, but we lived in NC.

I would have some regular onesies on hand, and also several long-sleeved onesies and pairs of pants. What we used a lot were those footed zippy pajamas (eta: sometimes called sleep and plays)

It can be super helpful to have different options at different thicknesses, etc., because having the option to layer baby (and remove layers if baby gets too warm) is nice. Wintertime makes for a cold outside, but most interior spaces you'll enter will be heated...and some babies get really crabby when they're too warm. ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    aander6aander6 member
    We only bought a few newborn and 0-3mo outfits because DD grew out of them so fast. Seeing as it will get chilly in New York, I would buy more long sleeves and warmer outfits. Enough to last at least 6-10 days. Really, I think DD was in 6mos clothing by 3mos so she went up two sizes in the first 3 months...they really outgrow clothes quickly!
    I agree with buying only a few NB and 0-3 months clothes. Also being in 6 months clothes at 3 months is totally normal. When a tag says 6 months it means 3-6 months. 
     image image
  • Options
    Agree with the long sleeve onesies and not getting too many, but I would say more than the rest suggested.  DD had about 20 outfits minimum in any given size and she was in them for a long time.  I know a lot of babies grow quickly at first, but DD didn't.  She was in 6 month clothes until about 10 months old...she is just now getting to the right "age" sizes, but a 2T is still big on her.

Also, you may be changing outfits a lot in the beginning due to diaper issues ;)

Finally, we had a February baby in Chicago...unless we were going outside we basically kept her in pajamas (gowns with the elastic at the bottom were perfect) all day.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    My second baby lived in zip up footed fleece pajamas the first 3 months

Just be careful you can over heat them
  • Options
    I am in NNJ about 45 mins from NYC. Buy some of everything everything! Seriously weather has been so crazy here the last few winters but if you are staying home with the heat up you may want to make sure you have some thin pjs, SS onsies ect. I would get newborn t onsies and everything else long sleeve 0-3 to start because you will most likely be layering. What PP said beware of overheating- especially at night. I could never put DS in the fleece pajamas because he would get soo sweaty. Also, a bundle me is pretty much a necessity. And as many hats as you can find!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"