Stay at Home Moms

FFC

Re: FFC

• Are the chickens pets, though? My ILs grew up on a farm with pigs and they ate them but they weren't pets, they were livestock. I think eating your pets is weird but raising food to eat it is different.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry i cant remember who all i am replying too...
    - yes same guy. Ugh. All i can think is that i met him during such hard part of my life and the is why i am still dealing with getting over this. I was thinking this morning that i might make an appt with my therapist just help me some how deal with this. Having you all agree with how serious this is is really helping me as well. It is confirming my feelings of how bd this really i instead of my friend telling me the it i normal and okay.

- My marriage is better but still not perfect. Dh and i have been working opposite shifts for the past 2.5 years. I was working 5 days a week then went down to 4 for the past year and now back to 5. And damn it, it is really hard! I miss him. We really need to working dating again. But we talk a lot more then we use to which is really good.
    Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• aliebno said:
    Lol I don't *think* pigeons are that uncommon to eat; I personally never have, but DH's family used to raise racing pigeons and would eat them too when he was younger.  I myself wouldn't do the killing/plucking/etc, but DH would, he has no problem with that.  And yea, when our chickens stop laying we will consider eating them too....why not?  Yea, they're pets, but c'mon, they're chickens!  H hunts too....should we not eat the deer meat?   ~:>
    Maybe this is a FFC...I can't wait for our chicken butchering day(s). We currently have about 140 chicks we've hatched out. We will keep about 30 hens for laying; everything else is destined for our freezer. 

And DH has considered raising/collecting squab. They are living in our silo, so he figures why not take advantage of it? I have no intentions of eating squab, but don't care if DH wants to do so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • letranger said:
    Is this where I mention my drunk friend in the last story once ha a homeless lady next to her pick a pigeon off the ground in NYC look directly in my friends face as she broke it's neck and put it in her purse.

Omg! Creepy!!
  • Oh someone asked about the weight thing and attraction. He has lost almost 40lbs and looks a lot better. I have come to realize that he is never going to be drop dead handsom to me. Now that i know that i feel can move on a bit and really enjoy how attracted to him i am emotionally and mentally.
    I know i would never want to be without him.

• @SallyAnneS‌ Working opposite shifts would be hard on even the best marriage, is this something you guys can fix so you can work the same shifts and spend time together?
  • Sorry for taking over the ffc.
    Cnamom - marriage is hard eh. :(
    Eating pigeons makes me laugh.

• NandaB said:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squab_(food)

not the same as roadkill, lol
    There, see?  It's a delicacy! 
  • NandaB said:
    aliebno said:
    @aliebno How does one go about slowly rehoming 15 pigeons? Just borrow a cat and scare them off.

Drive them into the city and kick them out of the car.

Better yet, drop them off around the corner from the guy who sold them to you.
    LOL I just envision her opening the cage and letting one fly out in the morning, and one at night, for a week. No?
    Lol they are actually pet pigeons, so I would feel bad just letting them go. Or technically they are "fancy" pigeons. We have a livestock auction by us, so we may try there to get rid of some of them. We're not looking to make money or anything, but yea, I would feel bad just letting them out!
    @aliebno How does one go about slowly rehoming 15 pigeons? Just borrow a cat and scare them off.

Drive them into the city and kick them out of the car.

Better yet, drop them off around the corner from the guy who sold them to you.
    LOL I just envision her opening the cage and letting one fly out in the morning, and one at night, for a week. No?
    Lol they are actually pet pigeons, so I would feel bad just letting them go. Or technically they are "fancy" pigeons. We have a livestock auction by us, so we may try there to get rid of some of them. We're not looking to make money or anything, but yea, I would feel bad just letting them out!
    Oh eeerrrr we may end up eating them...guess that's a confession too....
    Wtf...are you being serious?  That's really messed up. 
    why? because they were pets? because its a legitimate food source. I mean, I wouldn't do it because I can't bring myself to kill and pluck anything, but they were actually imported to NY as food if I remember my Good Eats history correctly.
    Yeah I think it's odd to feel as she said "bad about letting them go" and then want to eat them. 

**GAH stuck in the box!  Yea, but letting them go means them potentially starving to death.  That's not fair.  Eating them involves...well...a quick end.

• @Aliebno - Then why do you feel bad letting them go and citing that they are someone's pets?  

****OH DAMN YOU BOX!!!!!  Anyway, answered ^ :)
  • I am, irrationally, annoyed that MIL didn't come by last night. It was her birthday and we were going to go over there for just an hour to hang out and wish her a happy birthday. She calls and tells us how busy she is with doing things and how today wouldn't work, or Friday, or Saturday. DH asked if after dinner they could come by and just pop in to say hello so he could give her a hug and her card. They never came over or called to say they couldn't make it. While I understand that something could've come up or maybe they didn't want to stop by, I wish they would've just said no or at least called.

It's dumb and I know I shouldn't be this way, but my biggest pet peeve is when people don't call and just blow me off. I don't care what excuse you give, but FFS at least let me know.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Oh someone asked about the weight thing and attraction. He has lost almost 40lbs and looks a lot better. I have come to realize that he is never going to be drop dead handsom to me. Now that i know that i feel can move on a bit and really enjoy how attracted to him i am emotionally and mentally. I know i would never want to be without him.

I'm incredibly sad for your H. What if the shoe was on the other foot? It would suck huh?
  • My confession is I hunt and I'm darn good at it. We do eat what we kill though. I don't believe in hunting for "funsies"
  • Luckey4 said:
    Oh someone asked about the weight thing and attraction. He has lost almost 40lbs and looks a lot better. I have come to realize that he is never going to be drop dead handsom to me. Now that i know that i feel can move on a bit and really enjoy how attracted to him i am emotionally and mentally. I know i would never want to be without him.

I'm incredibly sad for your H. What if the shoe was on the other foot? It would suck huh?
    This was hashed out in like  pages a few months ago.
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Luckey4 said:
    Oh someone asked about the weight thing and attraction. He has lost almost 40lbs and looks a lot better. I have come to realize that he is never going to be drop dead handsom to me. Now that i know that i feel can move on a bit and really enjoy how attracted to him i am emotionally and mentally. I know i would never want to be without him.

I remember but, I feel like it's an attention thing. Why bring it up again, KWIM?
  • Luckey4 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Luckey4 said:

I remember but, I feel like it's an attention thing. Why bring it up again, KWIM?
    I guess she's just being honest about it.
  • minerswife17minerswife17 member
    edited May 2014
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Luckey4 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Luckey4 said:

True. I'm incredibly sad for your H. What if the shoe was on the other foot? It would suck huh?

I guess she's just being honest about it.

True.
  • Gastro said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Luckey4 said:

Better she do it here and try to work through her feelings then seriously jeopardize her marriage.

Very true. Good to see it from a different view. It just rubbed me the wrong way at first.
  • hlm184hlm184 member
    I hunt and eat what I kill, but I'm also not opposed to trophy hunting when done respectfully.

DH and I had Kodiak bear tags once.  We didn't end up getting a shot, but if we had we certainly wouldn't have eaten it (though I would have tried some).  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Rink08Rink08 member
    DH fully expects the kids to make the choice of either going hunting when they are of age (if they want to continue to eat meat) or being vegetarians if they won't. (I was a vegetarian until a few years ago and it's fine if they choose that as well) However, he's also very strict about hunting for food vs. hunting for sport. We often fish and the kids are aware that, if allowed, we eat what we catch.
  • meglewmeglew member
    Rink08 said:
    DH fully expects the kids to make the choice of either going hunting when they are of age (if they want to continue to eat meat) or being vegetarians if they won't. (I was a vegetarian until a few years ago and it's fine if they choose that as well) However, he's also very strict about hunting for food vs. hunting for sport. We often fish and the kids are aware that, if allowed, we eat what we catch.
    What does he consider "of age"? 
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • Rink08Rink08 member
    meglew said:

Rink08 said:

What does he consider "of age"? 

12 which is the legal age to get their hunting license in PA.

• Rink08Rink08 member
    A portion of it does. Some also comes from family/friend farm animals. I do buy meat at stores since we no longer live in the rural area that we grew up in.
    He doesn't expect all of the food to come from animals that our family has hunted but for the kids to realize the impact that their eating meat has. Generally, we both don't want them to be okay with eating meat just because someone else killed it.
  • meglewmeglew member
    Rink08 said:
    A portion of it does. Some also comes from family/friend farm animals. I do buy meat at stores since we no longer live in the rural area that we grew up in. He doesn't expect all of the food to come from animals that our family has hunted but for the kids to realize the impact that their eating meat has. Generally, we both don't want them to be okay with eating meat just because someone else killed it.
    While educating kids on food, where it comes from, etc. is important, I guess I just feel that is a large decision to expect a 12 year old to make.  They are still just kids.
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • hlm184hlm184 member
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    hlm184 said:
    I hunt and eat what I kill, but I'm also not opposed to trophy hunting when done respectfully.

DH and I had Kodiak bear tags once.  We didn't end up getting a shot, but if we had we certainly wouldn't have eaten it (though I would have tried some).  
    How is this done "respectfully,' out of curiosity? How is it respectful to kill an animal and not even eat it? Is it something about overpopulation?

BTW, I know this sounds combative but I don't mean it that way. I just don't understand.
    I've seen some people do things like.. take ridiculous pictures with trophy kills and stuff like that, which is what I was thinking.  But also some trophy hunting serves ecological purposes as well - for example, brown bears, which are generally not eaten, hunting the larger boars (the trophy animals) leads to a higher cub survival rate because the large boars tend to eat baby bears frequently.  Stuff like that.
  • Rink08Rink08 member
    @amy052006‌- So are they. They also are aware that Uncle X's pigs give us bacon and friend Y's chickens lay our eggs until Friend Y's family eats the chicken. They'll also work on family farms as preteens/teenagers in the summer as DH and I did. Obviously it's something that we have a difference of opinion on.
  • I was at the zoo today. At the deer exhibit, while DD was happily pointing and exclaiming "Deer! Pretty!" there was some jackass full grown man behind her making a gun with his fingers and pretending to shoot the deer. He had the sense to stop when he saw me staring daggers at him, but seriously dude, in what part of your brain did you figure that was an appropriate action?
  • I see no issue with killing pigeons you received as long as it is humanely done. I understand how you wouldn't want to release them to starve if they were not wild. Hmm... Maybe my ffc is that I always thought I would like DH to get in shape. When he did, I didn't like it. I mean, he was nowhere near overweight, and he lost about 30 pounds and started running, he was buff! But I quickly realized I didn't like him as a pretty boy lol! It was a lot of work for him to maintain. So I enjoyed the 6 pack for awhile but was happy when he went back to my huggable burly guy.
  • Rink08Rink08 member
    @Diapers&Wipes‌- that is the basic plan (which was the same for DH,SIL, all 16 of his cousins, and now their children). They aren't forced to provide meals and continually hunt but if they are going to choose to continue to eat meat, then they would need to go through the actual process once. We also view it as a survival skill like the various types of fishing and farming they have been taught as they are growing. We're going camping later tonight and I'm sure that we'll fish tomorrow for our dinner.
  • My husband is a big hunter and fisher. I can not tell you the last time we bought hamburger meat or any fish besides salmon. He catches them fresh out of the gulf.

We have already bought a lifetime hunting license for our son. He will go when he can sit still long enough. I would never make him continue to do it if he didn't like it. And would never force being a vegetarian on him. I don't like to hunt but I sure do like being a carnivor

• My Confession:

I am glad the text box has a dictionary and tells me when a word is spelled wrong. I am so bad at spelling it really isn't even funny

• hlm184hlm184 member
    NandaB said:
    hlm184 said:

How is this done "respectfully,' out of curiosity? How is it respectful to kill an animal and not even eat it? Is it something about overpopulation?

BTW, I know this sounds combative but I don't mean it that way. I just don't understand.

Nope. There is nothing respectful about killing something just for fun that you do not intend to eat. And I say this as that wife of a (not very successful) hunter. My dad and husband enjoy hunting. They primarily hunt duck, geese, and quail. My dad also goes on a yearly deer hunt where they camp for weeks and only use bows and arrows because it is more challenging. They always eat what they kill. They enjoy being in nature, the commraderie, and they enjoy the challenge. I am sure there is also a sense of satisfaction that they can provide food for their family if need be. @letranger - I would compare it to the sense pride and of self reliance that you feel that you can fit your whole family on your bike to escape the zombie apocalypse while the rest of us chumps are stuck on the freeway. But shooting a bear just cause you can? Shitty.
    Clearly we disagree.  *shrug*
  • hlm184 said:
    NandaB said:
    hlm184 said:

Nope. There is nothing respectful about killing something just for fun that you do not intend to eat. And I say this as that wife of a (not very successful) hunter. My dad and husband enjoy hunting. They primarily hunt duck, geese, and quail. My dad also goes on a yearly deer hunt where they camp for weeks and only use bows and arrows because it is more challenging. They always eat what they kill. They enjoy being in nature, the commraderie, and they enjoy the challenge. I am sure there is also a sense of satisfaction that they can provide food for their family if need be. @letranger - I would compare it to the sense pride and of self reliance that you feel that you can fit your whole family on your bike to escape the zombie apocalypse while the rest of us chumps are stuck on the freeway. But shooting a bear just cause you can? Shitty.
    Clearly we disagree.  *shrug*
    But what's the point?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"