January 2014 Moms

UO

2»

Re: UO

• BMReid said:
    Good analogy, @peanutmuse‌ ! Especially since you're not a sports-person!
    Lol, @BMReid -- would it make it less of a good analogy if I told you that I had no idea redshirting was a sports term? Haha, I saw a special on 60 minutes a couple of years ago and I started to research and think about it in terms of children and education. ;)
  • I haven't really looked into this at all but will our babes be the older kids in their class? I have no idea when those enrollment periods start/end age wise.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

PCOS diagnosed secondary infertility

BFP #1 (letrozole 2.5mg + ovidrel) February 2016, MMC April 2016 @ 7 weeks

BFP #2 (letrozole 5mg + ovidrel) July 2016, Beta #1 359, Beta #2 745, Beta #3 11484

EDD April 9th, 2017

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't really looked into this at all but will our babes be the older kids in their class? I have no idea when those enrollment periods start/end age wise.
    Not necessarily. My BMB with DD did a post on when cut off is and the months were varied depending on the state. NY used to be December, but I believe it's September now.

Not necessarily. My BMB with DD did a post on when cut off is and the months were varied depending on the state. NY used to be December, but I believe it's September now.
    I know where I live in FL the cut off is September 1st so I can choose to "redshirt" my son or send him I guess "on time".  I think most of our J14 babies will be in the middle...not the oldest or the youngest.
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• @PreDempsey, here's a website I found. Looks like I was mistaken and NY is November 30. This has all the states. https://users.stargate.net/~cokids/kindergarten_cut-off_dates.htm

• Thanks Shug!

PCOS diagnosed secondary infertility

BFP #1 (letrozole 2.5mg + ovidrel) February 2016, MMC April 2016 @ 7 weeks

BFP #2 (letrozole 5mg + ovidrel) July 2016, Beta #1 359, Beta #2 745, Beta #3 11484

EDD April 9th, 2017

• BMReid said:
    Good analogy, @peanutmuse‌ ! Especially since you're not a sports-person!
    Lol, @BMReid -- would it make it less of a good analogy if I told you that I had no idea redshirting was a sports term? Haha, I saw a special on 60 minutes a couple of years ago and I started to research and think about it in terms of children and education. ;)
    There is a Malcolm Gladwell book all about this that my husband is OBSESSED with because of the sports analogies, but also the implications for education.  Can't remember the title.  Not Outliers.  Maybe Blink?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ac1259ac1259 member
    @peanutmuse- I have never actually heard of "redshirting" so I had to look it up..Well I have 2 reasons I'd rather DD1 start school younger than older and 1 of them is selfish. With babies who are 14 months apart I feel like it might be better for DD1 to start younger so that the girls are 2 years apart in school. There wouldn't be as much comparison between the 2 and they'll kinda get to do some of their own things in their own time, they might not go to prom at the same time and I won't have 2 kids in college for 3 years, it will probably only be 2. So it might (emphasis on might, a lot of these things are dependent on the kid) be slightly cheaper for me to have them 2 grades apart instead of 1. 

Also, when I was reading about "redshirting" it seems like they've found that sometimes the younger kids in the class do better academically. Obviously a lot depends on how DD1 is doing when she is turning 5, I believe the cutoff in my state is Oct. 1st..considering she's October 3rd it's really close for her. Like obviously if she's a little immature for her age or anything I wouldn't push the issue, but it is a thought I've had since she's so close to the cutoff. For boys I think sometimes it makes sense for them to be older/bigger for their grade...I feel like that never works well for girls though, being the big girl in the class can just make you more of a target for bullying. I don't know, I'm probably way overanalyzing that but I guess we'll see how it works when the time comes. 

• ArrgcrArrgcr member
    @annnikasoon‌ I actually broke out a half tea set for my tea. The platter holds a teacup and saucer, spoon, honey, and my box of tea! (The rest is still packed away!)

@KEfam5‌ I took a screenshot and will look around our stores!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"