October 2012 Moms

Fever Question

LO has had a fever since this afternoon after her nap. She is getting one of her top canines, but with any of her teeth before this she didn't get a fever. Her fever was at 101.7 after her nap which is when I gave her motrin and had her eat a popsicle with me. Her fever went down in about a half an hour. She has been super whiny and grumpy since her nap. We were doing yard work this evening with her outside being very grumpy and decided to give her some tylenol since it wasn't time for another dose of motrin. I checked her fever at that time and it was 102.0 I tried to call our pediatrician and missed them by 10 mins of when their new office hours are. 

I am new to the whole fever thing and it is scary when it is that high! Do any of you have any advice for tonight? I'll be calling the office in the morning and watching her all night hoping that it doesn't get high again. I also plan on keeping up with her medicine throughout the night. 

Re: Fever Question

• cnbv815cnbv815 member
    Thank you everyone! She seemed to be a little better before she went down. Hopefully she will feel better in the morning!
  • I agree with PPs — Try not to worry too much. My pedi told me fevers of even up to 105 aren't harmful in kids and to only give meds if they are noticeably uncomfortable. Otherwise, meds can actually interfere with the body's natural defenses for illnesses. Usually by 102, they are pretty uncomfortable, though. I recommend a dose of meds, snuggles, cartoons, and more popsicles.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • @camivasic how is she feeling today?

• Everyone already has really good advice, but just thought I'd add a little that I learned when we went to the ER for a fever of 105 that just wouldn't break. Both the ER doctor and my pediatrician said that fevers are baby's way of fighting off something, so they're not necessarily bad all the time. If a fever reaches 105 or even higher, it's not necessarily damaging unless it STAYS there for an extended length of time. Also, when the fever is really high, you have to be careful about sticking baby in a bath because the fever could come down too quickly which might lead to a seizure. So baths are great for mild fevers, but try to start with cool washcloths, getting baby naked, etc. if it's really high. Also, rotate ibuprofen and Tylenol every three hours. If you administer Tylenol for a really high fever and it doesn't come down, it is okay to give a dose of ibuprofen on top of the Tylenol (but of course always ask before doing something like this. I think they did this for Julie because her fever wouldn't break.) I was also really uninformed about fevers until we had a bout with them, but now I feel a little less freaked out. Hope this helps!

• Yes, agree with mbm. My pedi gives me dosage sheets every time we go there, but when her fever spiked so badly I just panicked and forgot EVERYTHING that I'd ever been told about fevers!  

• mbm1983 said:
    there is no way in hell i wouldn't give medication to a kid that has a 105 fever. Not knocking your pediatrician specifically because i've seen a lot of advice like that, but i just think it's crazy.

I don't think he was advocating withholding meds from a kid with a temp that high, just illustrating to me that the definition of "very high fever" is not what I thought it was (I had brought Henry in that day because his temp was 101.2). He was also trying to say I didn't need to panic and give meds every time Henrys temperature went up slightly. I guess he was just trying to give me some perspective.

• mbm1983 said:
    all of this. i was also very uninformed about correct dosage. when she really needed it i wasn't giving enough. it was my one and only piece of unsolicited advice to my BF who is gonna have her baby any day now. get a dosage schedule from your pedi to have on hand in case you ever need it. everything says "ask your doctor" for kids under 2.

That's good advice. When I really need that information, it's always two in the morning on a Saturday or something...it's good to have that handy ahead of time. Especially since I keep reading about all of the serious dangers of miscalculating doses of Tylenol specifically. I tend to use Ibuprofen more for that reason, not that miscalculating doses of any meds is a spectacular idea.

• cnbv815cnbv815 member
    Thank you everone again! She still has a fever but when I give her medicine she starts to act like her normal self. I called the pediatrician this morning and they said to give her medicine if she seems uncomfortable or/and her fever is 102 or over. Which I have given it to her before then for being just over 100. It just freaks me out. They said that if it doesn't go away in 3 days to call back. And that it's pretty normal to have a fever and just to watch it.

Another thing I'm worried about now though after I called them, my cousin texted me saying her baby who we were swimming with a couple of times in the past week had hand foot and mouth so I'll be watching for blisters too. From what I read online it starts with a fever then the blisters show up. I'm hoping it's just a random fever or her teeth but now I'll be watching out for that too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"