Multiples
Options

I have a silly question about di-di twins....

ManadaManada member
edited May 2014 in Multiples
I can't wrap my head around this, and google hasn't helped me (hence why I think it's probably a silly question) but if di-di twins have two sacs and placentas within the ute, what is in the space between them, or in the spaces that aren't amniotic sacs or placentas?

Does the ute just sort of fill in the space with tissue that isn't stretched out yet, or is it more amniotic fluid in there to cushion the sacs more?

Bedrest has given me lots of time to think things up ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

Re: I have a silly question about di-di twins....

• Options
    curlylocks3curlylocks3 member
    edited May 2014
    I honestly don't know..not more fluid though, as there isn't a sac to contain it.
    I remember you from the DOR Checkin and hope you are doing well.

Eta: I haven't been on here in forever, just saw your post below though. I will be thinking of all 4 of you.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    Blood?
    image    image    image    image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What PP said. The membrane between mine is super thin and they're pretty much on top of each other.
  • Options
    I just thought they would get all squished up and the sac membranes would mold to whatever space is left that they can fit into. Not like perfect ovals or circles at all, liek they just keep changing shapes as the babes move. At 21 weeks I already feel like there is ZERO room so not sure what else could fit in there. Yikes!

I hope you are hanging in there. Continued prayers and good thoughts for you, Healz and your babies!
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ManadaManada member
    Thanks @4legsRbest‌ - hanging in there, working on breaking up with Dr google, but that gives me lots of time to hang out and think up questions :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Options
    What in an empty uterus? Same as w a singleton, right, when a fertilized egg (I forget the term) first implants, it doesn't automatically take up the entire uterus - it's the size of an Appleseed, then a raspberry - your ute is bigger than that.

So I guess whatever it is the ute normally is what is between di/di in the beginning.

• Options
    What in an empty uterus? Same as w a singleton, right, when a fertilized egg (I forget the term) first implants, it doesn't automatically take up the entire uterus - it's the size of an Appleseed, then a raspberry - your ute is bigger than that. So I guess whatever it is the ute normally is what is between di/di in the beginning.
    The inside of the uterus isn't normally "open". There is no air or anything in it. So as the baby(ies) grow, they (and their sac and placenta) just push out the uterus and take up as much space as they need. There isn't extra space in the uterus. I'm trying to think of an analogy and can't. I guess maybe a water balloon? The balloon is closed and empty when you start, and the water expands it and takes up the space it needs and it can morph to fill in the space (like the amniotic sac). You don't start with a balloon full of air. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @RayRay007‌ right. But if the uterus is normally the size of a pear and grows to the size of a grapefruit soon after conception, but the embryo is only the size of an raspberry, what's in that extra space?

I get that it's not air, but even in an empty uterus, is there a cavity? Or are the folds such that, in your analogy, it's like a deflated balloon. The surface area of the uterus shrinks/crumples (if you will). Or not? So is an empty uterus wrinkly w folds or smooth?

Interesting Q, OP!

• Options
    Well you also have the lining, which fills out and thickens in the LP and during pregnancy? So it would give it some heft/shape too?
    I would say your uterus grows initially because of this. Not only the lining, but increased blood flow to the entire organ. And then, although the little blast or embryo is tiny, there is quite a bit of fluid around it. The sac grows pretty quickly. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"