November 2014 Moms
Options

If you're not sentimental..

Is anyone else not so into saving things from your previous children?

I'm cleaning out my junk room to make room for all the new stuff we'll be bringing in for the new baby and I have an entire Rubbermaid container of all DS's cards. (Birthday, Halloween, easter) I was going to make something with all of it but now I just want to pitch it and have the extra room. If this was our permanent home I'd say I'll just store it (and probably never look at it again) but we're a military family and move every 2-4 years depending on what's going on. We're currently in Georgia and there aren't basements here so I'm extremely limited on storage space. Would you just throw them away too?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: If you're not sentimental..

• Options
    Can you put them in a binder? Or just chuck 'em! Whatever floats your boat ;)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've only made two moves so far (also military) and I'm coming to this same realization. I'll save a few things, like pictures and maybe a sentimental outfit or something, but yeah, most gets tossed out. I already have two boxes of keepsake stuff from mine and my husband's childhood and I have no idea what to do with them. No need to add more I guess. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't save shit.   My mom saves EVERYTHING.......and her house borderline hoarder conditions.....ha ha.....birthday cards are displayed for a few weeks,  then tossed out.   DH and I each have a plastic tote in our attic from sentimental childhood things we saved.....but aside from that,  we throw things away.   

I agree with   @kyliedaniellexx with the saving things from family members who have passed away,  those I would keep.    My grandma is still alive,  but I won't part with things from her because I know her days here are limited and I want to still have something from her when she goes.    

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i LOVE throwing stuff out. granted i don't have kids yet but everytime i've moved ive gone through all old crap and tossed a lot of it. i would probably save the really special cards/outfits but if you dont have the space and its just sitting in boxes to move from place to place i'd chuck it. maybe this will inspire me to go through the remaining boxes from our move last october. while i love throwing stuff out i also am very lazy and love sitting on the couch bumping.

TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    aa98aa98 member
    edited May 2014
    I say get rid of them.  If you are feeling extremely guilty about it, you could always take pictures of all of them and "save" them that way I guess.  I am not really sentimental either except for the really big things like our wedding, honeymoon, etc... but even with that stuff, I've started to prioritize.  Conversely, DH is a HUGE pack rat!  

The best response he has given me for keeping some useless chachki is, "well, so-and-so gave that to us so we can't throw it away."  REALLY, so we can throw away things we've picked out and loved, but because your 2nd cousin once removed gave you this ugly knick knack, we have to keep it???You should see the stuff I find (high school papers, random receipts, childhood toys) when I go through boxes that he lugs (unopened) place to place every time we move.  Honestly we don't have space, we live in a small two bedroom apartment in the city.  If we had a basement, I'd just throw them down there and avoid the hassle. We (I) have tons of unhoarding to do before the LO comes.

Edited: grammar
    BabyFruit Ticker

Our first!!!

• Options
    I'm actually taking a giant truckload of stuff from this 8x8 room to good will before DH gets home from work because he'll root through all the bags and try to argue to keep it even though its 99% my stuff. How all this stuff fit in that little room I'll never know.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I only keep the cards if they have a lengthy hand written note. If someone buys a greeting card and just signs their name, it is a great thought/gesture, but I don't need to save it after the holiday/event has passed. DH always writes a 1-2 paragraph note in his cards (half of them make me cry, now more than ever), so I have saved everyone one he gives me.
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    Ugh! I would have such a hard time chucking them, too. I'm ridiculously sentimental -- I've saved cards, drawings from my nieces, school work from my  little sis in law (she's now almost in high school) -- I even have a box of DH's prom/tolo/homecoming formal pics with his ex and I insist on saving "for him." 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

@maebee87 that's a great idea!

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"