June 2013 Moms

Nursing mamas - are you also adding whole milk?

DD is still nursing and I don't see it ending any time soon, but I wasn't sure what the next step was. I currently stay home with her four days a week, and the three days that I work, I pump about 2-3oz for a morning snack, then come home to nurse her at lunch. (We're lucky to have only a 9 minute drive from work to home.) She also eats table food for lunch and sometimes for snack. When she is around 1, I was thinking I would stop coming home for lunch since she eats table food so well. Would you give whole milk at lunch, then? Or just pump more and stick to that? We have some of the samples of the "toddler formula" Enfagrow that were mailed to us, is that worth throwing into the mix?

We sort of fell into extended breastfeeding, so I don't really know the next step :)  TIA!
photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Nursing mamas - are you also adding whole milk?

• I am also still nursing a lot. I did wcm with breakfast for the first time today. He had a few sips. I am going to start offering it and see what happens, but I don't expect it to replace nursing any time soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My plan is to start offering WCM in a two weeks and just not pump any more. I can nurse him when I'm home (4 days like you) and when I'm not I just won't pump anymore, or maybe just pump once at lunchtime. Right now I'm pumping twice on workdays and I'm super over that!
    I have some formula samples I will probably use up too, but mainly because I doubt he'd be picky and I don't want to waste them. I wouldn't go out of my way to add formula to the mix at this point.

• Loading the player...
  • I started offering 2 ounces of wcm at lunch about a month ago, he's getting it at each meal now but probably only drinks half of it. I'm planning on still breastfeeding for the next year so I'm not rushing it. I also offer him water in a sippy throughout the day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TTC Baby Rob #1 05/07, BFP 06/07, EDD 02/22/08, Baby Jackaroo born via c-section after 22 hours of labor on 02/27/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby Rob #2 06/11 BFP 11/06/11 EDD 07/16/12 Natural M/C 11/25/11 @ 6w3d
    Baby Rob #2 (Sloane), in our hearts always.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here comes Baby Rob #3
     BFP on Cycle 17 09/27/12. EDD 06/04/12! Please Stick Baby! A/S 01/22/13 Baby looking great. Officially TEAM BLUE! Jack is getting a Baby Brother! RCS scheduled for 05/29/13. William Daryll born at 9:59am on 05/29/13. Left ovary and tube removed due to peach sized tumor found during RCS. Pathology came back benign!

• I'm only nursing morning a spend night as she starts daycare next week. I was hoping to supplement with some WCM with her meals but right now she won't drink any of it. I'm not very worried as long as we are still nursing 2x a day, will ask her pedi at her 1 year appointment in 2 weeks and see what he suggests.

• dmlk413dmlk413 member
    DD started refusing all bottles of BM at daycare a few weeks ago so now she drinks WCM there and nurses at home. I didn't expect to transition so early but DD made the decision for me.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Thanks so much! she's already avoiding drinking pumped milk from her cup - her babysitter has to mix it with her fruit to get her to eat it - so I'm curious to see how she takes the milk. We shall see!
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I nurse often still. He's starting to pick up on eating solids again, to the point he'll reject me because he wants food.
    I've added milk to his diet, he really likes it! I only do it at dinner (that's usually what we drink.)

• I've been trying to do water or almond milk in sippies when I remember to get him used to it. He's still not very good with the sippy cup. If we sit down together and I hold it kind of like a bottle for him, he guzzles it down, but when he does it himself, he mostly just chews on it and leaks milk everywhere.

@subliminalrabbit‌, what is this doidy you speak of?

• DD will be 1 next Wednesday, and I just started her on WCM this week when my freezer stash ran out. I stopped pumping a month ago, but am still nursing her a few times a day.

I'm off for the summer (teacher), but my supply has taken a bit of a hit with not pumping for so long, so she gets 2 bottles and loves it. I planned on extended BF, but she is nursing for such short times, that she may be ready to move on. I'm just going to follow her lead. I do hope to get her to become more proficient with a sippy cup very soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"