Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Pool vest/tube for 18 month old

We have a swimming pool and DD will soon be 18 months. She has not yet had any swimming lessons. Any recommendations of a pool vest/jacket or float for her to use? I've seen those vests that have a tube around them but they say ages 2-4 years.

Re: Pool vest/tube for 18 month old

• amie444amie444 member
    Get her in lessons as soon as possible. They can teach her the basics. And how to pull herself out of the pool. But the puddle jumper is what you are looking for

• dufferoodufferoo member
    edited May 2014
    The Swimways floatie always seems to be popular with toddlers at the pool: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Spring-Float-Canopy-Colors/dp/B00253T7R2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400713532&sr=8-3&keywords=Swimways+spring+float+baby (Personally, my kid isn't crazy for any kind of flotation device, so I just end up holding him and swishing him around.)
  • Loading the player...
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    We use the Sterns Puddle Jumpers. It says 30-50# but all my kids have started wearing it at 1 year old when they were only 20#. By way of design it would be impossible to get out of. It also helped teach them to swim at an earlier age.
  • It's best to introduce your child to water without safety devices -- well supervised, of course.  I'd start swimming lessons now.

This.
  • *LrCg* said:

We use the Sterns Puddle Jumpers. It says 30-50# but all my kids have started wearing it at 1 year old when they were only 20#. By way of design it would be impossible to get out of. It also helped teach them to swim at an earlier age.

We've tried puddle jumpers before 2 years, but before about 25 lbs, they just flipped them onto their backs.

If you're right there with them, bubble belts can help them learn to move around the water. That's what we use during swim lessons at the Y. We bought one on amazon too.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • =Lee=B=Lee=B member

If you own a pool I would be putting the focus on teaching water safety and how to swim.  I would avoid having your child rely on a floaty of any sort if possible.

Any reason you have not had her in swimming lessons yet, especially if you own a pool?  Our 14month old is about to start her 4th session of 8 swim lessons.  She is comfortable sitting on the pool edge and diving in towards my husband.  My husband was a life guard so he takes water safety pretty seriously.  We intend to put in an in-ground pool in about 4-5years so have been working to ensure that she is fully comfortable and water smart long before then.  I can't imagine owning a pool and not yet having done any lessons!! 

• I'm glad you posted this, I was about to ask the same thing for my girls that are 19 months. 
  • I do intend to enroll her in swimming lessons but I was also asking for advice on a float/vest in the meantime. Appreciate the advice and suggestions.
  • LimaDLimaD member
    The Swimways floatie always seems to be popular with toddlers at the pool: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Spring-Float-Canopy-Colors/dp/B00253T7R2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400713532&sr=8-3&keywords=Swimways+spring+float+baby (Personally, my kid isn't crazy for any kind of flotation device, so I just end up holding him and swishing him around.)
    We have this and have tried it a few times with DD. I think it looks like a great concept, but she hated it. She didn't feel secure enough in it. We usually just hold her. We enrolled her in a puddle jumpers class and she LOVED it, but of course was too young (around 16 months at the time) to really follow instruction and learn basics :) but it did get her more comfortable in the pool
  • We just bought the puddle jumper as well and tried it on DS at the pool on Monday. Hes almost 19 mos but hes 30 lbs. It fit pretty well. He loved it and started crying when we had to leave the pool!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MrsLeleMrsLele member
    Just an FYI, most swimming instructors discourage the use of puddle jumpers and water wings. if you plan on teach water safety, it can greatly derail their teachings.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"