October 2014 Moms
Options

Super fast A/S?

Our A/S was done in less than 10 minutes, which seems really odd to me. I don't remember exactly how long DD's took last time, but I know it was quite a bit longer. The tech got all the pics but didn't talk or explain anything, answered our questions very briefly, and that was it. We didn't even get to see baby move.. What concerns me is that we both distinctly remember checking a LOT more things with DD that weren't checked at all, things like watching the blood flow through the heart. I'm assuming that she got the basics needed this time, and we just had an awesome tech last time. 

I'm planning to ask at my appt tomorrow, although I feel like an idiot for asking. I'm hoping they can share more measurements/data with me, all the tech shared was baby's weight. I'm thrilled that it was so routine, hoping I feel a little reassured after tomorrow's appt.
p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
 image image

Re: Super fast A/S?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    My MFM's practice has an electronic form that must be completed during an anatomy scan; as he says, "full anatomy must be cleared".  If the tech is unable to complete it at the first scan, s/he will ask you to walk around for a bit, grab a drink and will attempt to scan again in 30min or so.  If images are still missing a follow-up scan is scheduled.

I've had techs that share all the information as they scan and ones that do not.  It seems to depend on the tech's mood/personality/facility guidelines for the tech. 

Def ask the ob for measurements, etc. as s/he should be the one to provide that information anyway.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    I'm sure everything is OK; bummer the tech wasn't more forthcoming, though. We actually had a seemingly much more involved a/s this time than we did with my son (at a different practice out of state now) and I'm kinda glad it wasn't the other way around, because then I'd feel what you're feeling, now. I think different doctors just have different protocol. It's worth grilling the doctor at your appointment tomorrow to get the information you need to feel reassured. Congrats on a healthy scan!
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't feel like an idiot for asking. It's important to make sure everything was checked and baby is healthy. :) Hope you get some good answers tomorrow!
    imageimage
  • Options
    That seems incredibly short. They're supposed to check/measure nearly every aspect of baby's anatomy. Mine with DS was around an hour, this one with Kaiser they said will be 30-45 minutes.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our scan was really short with DD--literally took 15 minutes. DD was so cooperative that they were able to get all of the measurements and even had a little time left over for some extra pictures (and the tech had DH "touch" DD's hand by pressing on a certain spot). I think it depends on the equipment (this place had great equipment), how cooperative the baby is, and how experienced the tech is. Definitely ask questions, though!

This time around, we did our a/s with another place and it too much longer just because it was older equipment (~30min). LO#2 was just waking up, so he/she just sat there while measurements were taken.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I would definitely ask to make sure the tech got everything. Get a copy of the report, if you want, too! My scan at the MFM took about 45 min, and I thought that was kind of fast for my taste. I could have watched the screen for hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine was over an hour, but that was because we had an intern first, and then a more experienced tech came in. If it had just been the tech, my guess is that it would have taken 45 minutes. I know that my baby's position made it tough for them to see the 4 chambers of the heart, but they got that in the end, and everything else seemed easy. I would definitely ask to see a report - 15 min seems short to me, but maybe your baby was just super cooperative. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
    DH and I have been married 3+ years. This is our first PG, and we are thrilled! 
    Can't wait to meet our baby BOY, Mateo in October!!
  • Options
    mrsvedomrsvedo member
    Mine was also very short. Ours lasted about 15 minutes. Baby was very cooperative, so the tech got everything she needed very quickly. She did explain as she went everything she was checking and measuring though. Sorry yours didn't do that.
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    And I thought half an hour was short... Both my babies took about 30 - 45 mins even with different techs. If mine had only been 10 mins I would definitely ask my doctor for more information and/or if everything got checked. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My last pregnancy, I had a really quick anatomy scan and they ended up having to redo it because the tech hadn't gotten a clear enough picture of the heart. Anatomy scans are usually anywhere from 30-60 minutes (so says the information pamphlet from my drs. Office) Maybe baby was being really cooperative. I would hope that if there was insufficient info gathered that your dr. Would send you for a follow-up. Definitely ask at your next appt. Really disappointing that you didn't get to see more, though.
  • Options
    Kay1029Kay1029 member
    My one with DD was 10-15 min max. I have this LO'S this morning so well see if it's any different! but like PP's have said, your OB should really be the one you've you the results!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"