May 2014 Moms
Options

Need Milk Supply Help/Advice!!!!!

laurblumlaurblum member
edited May 2014 in May 2014 Moms
So, I had the baby this past Friday, May 23. Today would be considered day 5 and I still haven't gotten my milk in. No engorgement or anything. I can tell that the milk has changed over from colostrum to actual milk because of the consistency, and baby does latch on well. But we have had to supplement because she is never satisfied and I have no idea how to help this along. My pump came today so I tried pumping and I get such a minimal amount out, like maybe 1/4-1/3 of an ounce total for both breasts. I have been to a lactation support group once and I am going again tomorrow for hopefully more help and insight. I also have the baby's first pediatrician appointment tomorrow, so maybe there will be more answers there. I was really hoping to breast feed, but I feel like all the supplementation is counter productive. But the baby needs it or else she cries to the point where she loses her voice and refuses to latch. I can't do that to her. I feel so helpless right now. It's seriously the one thing killing my baby joy. If anyone knows of something I can do or maybe shed some light from their own experiences I would so greatly appreciate it. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. 

Edited to include that even if I don't answer right away I will definitely be checking TB from my phone during late night feedings. It has been so hard to get on here and catch up lately!

Re: Need Milk Supply Help/Advice!!!!!

• Options
    I'm sorry things are starting off rocky and you're feeling discouraged. I don't have any advice about increasing your supply, but I wanted to encourage you to check out the BFing board if you haven't already. The ladies over there are extremely supportive and have lots of great insights. It sounds like you're off to a good start in finding a support group and I hope the pediatrician can also give you some encouragement. Hang in there!
    BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • Options
    XathXath member
    How much water are you drinking?  Strive for 4L/day to start with if you can.  Dehydration and lack of sleep are 2 major causes of low supply.  We can't do much about the latter with a newborn, but just pound water whenever you can.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Fenugreek was a life saver for me with my first. Also try mothers milk tea and lactation cookies made out of oats. Kellymom.com is a great resource.
    Baby #2 is on the way!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby #1!
    Charles Edward 4/13/12 
    9 lbs 2 oz 22 & 3/4 inches
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I totally get it. With my first, BF completely killed my baby joy. I continued to have an inadequate supply for the entire first month and then switched exclusively to formula. I tried every old wives tale and had multiple meetings with LCs. My only advice is to do what feels right. I beat myself up so badly about BF. If this baby ever comes (past due now) I'm taking a totally different approach. I'll try again because I've been told it can be completely different the second time, but I'm totally not opposed to formula this time. I'm not willing to sacrifice my sanity again.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    When I was struggling with supply with my first, the midwife suggested that if I wasn't nursing/pumping throughout the night then I ought to.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    Try some stimulation on your boobs (pump or baby) every two hours (starting from the start time of last stimulation) whether you feel like it or not. Eat regularly and drink a ton of water. Also oatmeal is a great lactogenic food and Mother's Milk Tea (by Traditional Medicinals) seems to help a lot of people. I know it's very hard (physically and emotionally!)...I've finally gotten my milk supply up, but am still struggling with breastfeeding and am just getting through by hanging on to the belief that it will get better. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    AriniasArinias member
    I am new to this as my LO is only 11 days old but thought I would add in my experiences thus far. I had originally wanted no supplementation. but my baby was in the nicu, recieving antibiotics while I was still in the hospital recovering from my c section. I went down every three hours to try and BF but my milk did not really start coming in until day four and I did not have great production until a couple days after that. Without him being ble to nurse whenever he could we did supplement with formula. Now he is home and we are working at getting switched over to just BF. He is already off formula but still gets bottles of pumped milk. I really did not have trouble with him switching between bottle and breast like I was worried about. It was stressed to me to pump after every feeding to help keep supply up. I find this tough sometimes when he nurses for a while then naps so I pump, but then he will wake up and want more, that is usually when we do a bottle. Hang in there and do what you feel is best for both of you!
  • Options
    Fenugreek was a life saver for me with my first. Also try mothers milk tea and lactation cookies made out of oats. Kellymom.com is a great resource.
    Couldn't agree more. I have/had low supply too, and did all the above and noticed a significant difference! I drink 2-3 cups of the tea, take the fenugreek drops 2x per day and eat as many cookies as I can (they're really good!) I used to get an average of about 1 oz total per session, but now I'm getting about 3-4 total. So still not a ton, but a big difference for me! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think the next step for me will be to try the fenugreek and mothers milk tea. One other problem is that she is super lazy and a deep sleeper. Nighttime feedings I'm lucky if she wakes up to latch on. Like right now she's in my lap sleeping. I had to sneak formula in with a syringe because she won't get up and the doc doesn't want her more than 3 hours without a feeding. Ughhhhhh. One thing after the other with this!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"