May 2013 Moms
Options

What does dairy intolerance look like in a 1 yr old?

G has been sensitive to dairy since he was born.  It was easy to tell when he was EBF because of the color/consistency of his stools and his increased fussiness.  Now that he's eating solids, I'm not sure how to tell.  I'm starting to experiment with dairy in his diet.  He had a weird stool this morning, but I'm not sure if it was dairy induced.  Keep trying for a few days and see what happens?  Any obvious things to look for?

Re: What does dairy intolerance look like in a 1 yr old?

• Options
    So, my SO has a dairy intolerance and it comes with gas and loose stools a couple hours after he consumes the product. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but a baby could be gasy. I would assume the symptoms are similar. He obviously hasn't given up dairy by the volume of milkshakes consumed in recent days. But, maybe that is just what dairy intolerance looks like with him. If it was me, I would wait another day or so and try again with your LO..
  • Options
    My LO has a milk protein allergy. We were able to tell he was still allergic because his stool was loose and his eye were very puffy. Recently I had him retested (I ate dairy) and his stool was solid. He passed the test so we were given the okay to start reintroducing dairy; however, he his solids become loose again after a few days of dairy. I'm having him retested. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    krwactkrwact member
    We only confirmed his milk protein intolerance in April so I haven't done another challenge test since then but we could tell that he has slow onset intolerance because of the way his sleep suffered as he was in GI pain about 10-12 days after I started eating it again.  His stools got much looser as well and we waited to rule out a virus to eliminate the dairy again.  Once I did cut it out, he went back to STTN within a few days.  Still wakes stupidly early, but hey, it's progress.
    I'm going to do a challenge test next with gluten (hellooooooo, beer!) and then soy, then eggs.  If he seems to react to any of them, I'll cut them out and re-test in 6 months.
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    krwact said:
    We only confirmed his milk protein intolerance in April so I haven't done another challenge test since then but we could tell that he has slow onset intolerance because of the way his sleep suffered as he was in GI pain about 10-12 days after I started eating it again.  His stools got much looser as well and we waited to rule out a virus to eliminate the dairy again.  Once I did cut it out, he went back to STTN within a few days.  Still wakes stupidly early, but hey, it's progress.
    I'm going to do a challenge test next with gluten (hellooooooo, beer!) and then soy, then eggs.  If he seems to react to any of them, I'll cut them out and re-test in 6 months.
    Sounds like we're in the same boat!  I'm starting with dairy then moving on to wheat.  Soy doesn't seem to be as big of an issue as we originally thought.  He's never been tested, so maybe I'll ask about that at his 1 yr appt to see if it's an option.
  • Options
    I have a follow up question here...if the stools are not loose and there is no fussiness does that mean we are pretty much in the clear?
    One thing I am concerned about is dark stools which I heard was a sign of lactose intolerance.   My LOs stools are solid but sometimes quite dark.  I really have a hard time knowing how dark is too dark.
  • Options
    I have a follow up question here...if the stools are not loose and there is no fussiness does that mean we are pretty much in the clear?
    One thing I am concerned about is dark stools which I heard was a sign of lactose intolerance.   My LOs stools are solid but sometimes quite dark.  I really have a hard time knowing how dark is too dark.
    Not sure.  G's are sometimes pretty dark, but that was even when he wasn't on dairy.  I think you need to be concerned if it looks black or has black streaks or "coffee grounds" in it because that could be blood in the stool.
  • Options
    krwactkrwact member
    Not sure.  G's are sometimes pretty dark, but that was even when he wasn't on dairy.  I think you need to be concerned if it looks black or has black streaks or "coffee grounds" in it because that could be blood in the stool.
    Yeah, I'm pretty much basing my conclusions on his behavior (i.e. sleep), not his stools which still vary from meal to meal.  Though we really haven't had the pitch-black dark stools since I cut out dairy again.

@botanicalbliss I strongly suspect we're not dealing with any sensitivities beyond milk but I'm waiting to complete and early wake-up intervention before introducing another challenge test to be sure.  Can't wait for BEER!!!!
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"