October 2014 Moms
Options

Sad article in USA today

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Nursing newborn dies after mom fell asleep

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/28/nursing-newborn-dies-after-mom-falls-asleep/9696587/
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP - 2/5/14
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Sad article in USA today

• Options
    That's so awful; I can't imagine.  I used to fall asleep nursing DS in bed all thet

image              image
  • Options
    Kay1029Kay1029 member
    My aunt is a post pardum nurse in a hospital and she actually said this happens a lot. She's been in her current unit for about a year and said she's personally had 5 cases of this happening (or baby falling asleep and parent too and rolling over on them.) it's so scary.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How sad!

After I had my DS, the nurses watched like a hawk to make sure we didn't fall asleep holding him. This was 3 hrs after having the baby, and I'm sure she was absolutely exhausted, and not in a "normal" state of sleep.    

Me: Endometriosis, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Estrogen Dominance, Irregular Cycles
    DH:  100% Abnormal Sperm Morphology
     BFP #1 (Surprise!)  "Monkey"- 09/16/2006. DS born 06/01/2007.   
    BFP #2  "Quinn" EDD 06/21/13- MMC @ 8 weeks - Disc. 12/12/12 @ 13w0d 
    BFP #3  "Luna" EDD 03/31/14- MC 07/29/13 @ 5 w0d 
    BFP #4  "Star" EDD 07/06/14- MC 11/28/13 @ 8 weeks
    BFP #5 "Baby J"- 02/07/14. DS born 10/29/2014 My Rainbow!
    ~Everyone Welcome~

• Options
    Emerald27 said:
    This is so incredibly heartbreaking. There aren't any details available yet. Could have been anything; an unknown neurological problem or breathing problem, accidental smothering, or some other issue. So so sad, and I hope that they find that this was 100% not the mother's fault. How difficult it would be to cope either way, but that is a particular nightmare I would never wish upon anyone. :( ...I do find it a bit unnecessary to 1. publish an article with so very few details, and 2. Include the details (and in the title) that mom was breastfeeding and fell asleep, and that she had a home birth. Either of those things could or could not be related, and mentioning them the way the article did could cause concern or blame where there isn't any place for it yet. Just my $0.02.
    I agree with this.  When I read the headline I immediately thought "Oh no, she dropped the baby while sleeping," but then I read the story and it's clear they don't yet know what happened.  I don't know why this is in USA Today at all, especially with so few details (and the information they do have seems to be casting a wide net of blame).

Very sad in any case, I can't imagine what that family is going through.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My heart just breaks for her regardless of how it happened... I can't even imagine.
  • Options
    Articles like these are so sad but also piss me off when they jump to conclusions and try to make a story out of it to grab more attention. Our local news stations and newspapers ran stories about my son's death headlining it baby was given medicine before nap and never woke up! Good grief they didn't know he was teething and my dr told me to give him Tylenol for that. It was actually my daycare lady who gave it to him and laid him down but the autopsy proved she did not overdose him. They could not find one thing from the autopsy to say why he died. He was perfectly healthy. Of course the media was no where to be seen once that came out. Ugh anything to make a dollar.
    Mother of two sweet boys. One on earth and one in Heaven.  Sweet Baby Wyatt 3/29/13-9/10/13
  • Options
    @Jansheski‌ I am so sorry for your loss.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    This is so incredibly heartbreaking. There aren't any details available yet. Could have been anything; an unknown neurological problem or breathing problem, accidental smothering, or some other issue. So so sad, and I hope that they find that this was 100% not the mother's fault. How difficult it would be to cope either way, but that is a particular nightmare I would never wish upon anyone. :( ...I do find it a bit unnecessary to 1. publish an article with so very few details, and 2. Include the details (and in the title) that mom was breastfeeding and fell asleep, and that she had a home birth. Either of those things could or could not be related, and mentioning them the way the article did could cause concern or blame where there isn't any place for it yet. Just my $0.02.
    I don't think it was out of the ordinary.  If the baby had been born in a hospital they would have mentioned the hospital.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    Jansheski said:
    Articles like these are so sad but also piss me off when they jump to conclusions and try to make a story out of it to grab more attention. Our local news stations and newspapers ran stories about my son's death headlining it baby was given medicine before nap and never woke up! Good grief they didn't know he was teething and my dr told me to give him Tylenol for that. It was actually my daycare lady who gave it to him and laid him down but the autopsy proved she did not overdose him. They could not find one thing from the autopsy to say why he died. He was perfectly healthy. Of course the media was no where to be seen once that came out. Ugh anything to make a dollar.
    I am so sorry for your loss. And for having to deal with the media.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Thank you @Emerald27‌ , @dorothyzbornak97‌, @Nicb13‌, and @vrj0522‌. The media can be a nightmare. My heart goes out to that poor mother.
    Mother of two sweet boys. One on earth and one in Heaven.  Sweet Baby Wyatt 3/29/13-9/10/13
  • Options
    ANGnJONANGnJON member
    So tragic & heartbreaking!
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"