Cloth Diapering

What? No UOs?

Re: What? No UOs?

• I think it's stupid when people name their children as juniors or a number.

I also hate using 'family names' on purpose.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • edited May 2014
    ^^ IRTT I also mean when people give someone a name just because it belonged to some ancestor. I don't dislike it (although I wouldn't do it) when someone uses the name as a tribute to a deceased and beloved family member. 

But naming your kid Violet just because your great grandmother who you never met was named Violet is stupid. 

Or naming kids after living people. Ugh, awful.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm trying to think of an UO but really all I can think of is complaints I have about other people. Well, not really complaints, just parenting things that I just don't get....

So I'll just make this my "UO" , though it probably wont be on this board. You don't need to feed your 5 month old a bottle of juice, feed them pureed foods and BF them.  

Another UO...I will say something to your kid if they are rude to me, my child, or just have bad behavoir in general if you are not going to do something about it.  Unacceptable behavior ain't gonna fly with my crabby PG ass. 

I dont' know if those are really UOs...its all I've got today. 

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

• I like using family names, but I have to admit I dont see the appeal of having multiple people with the same name living under one roof. That seems confusing.
  • I dislike the term "lesbian." I think it's derogatory. I see no need to differentiate if a gay individual is male or female. We don't have a special term for straight males or females. Who cares if she's a woman; why does she have to be called a lesbian (or why does anything need to be said about her sexual orientation, for that matter)? 

• JEPES1348JEPES1348 member
    edited May 2014
    If you're riding your bicycle in the road and going 25-30 mph and ignore the stop sign at the four way stop intersection, I should be allowed to hit you with my car. Or at least by law be allowed to throw a rock at your head. Asshole.
    Yes! Same road, same rules! (which are actually laws)

• I do not get people who consider pets as their "fur babies" and go to extremes to treat them like children. I would never euthanize my son for biting another person, but I would put down an aggressive dog (with regret). I have a friend whose BF had three very big, territorial dogs, and they attacked her when the BF wasn't there. They are now married and expecting and still have those dogs. It just wouldn't work for me.

• welly01welly01 member
    I do not get people who consider pets as their "fur babies" and go to extremes to treat them like children. I would never euthanize my son for biting another person, but I would put down an aggressive dog (with regret). I have a friend whose BF had three very big, territorial dogs, and they attacked her when the BF wasn't there. They are now married and expecting and still have those dogs. It just wouldn't work for me.
    Wow!  That's so scary for their future kid(s). :(
                                                                                              BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                                 BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                                 BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • Mapleme said:
    If you're riding your bicycle in the road and going 25-30 mph and ignore the stop sign at the four way stop intersection, I should be allowed to hit you with my car. Or at least by law be allowed to throw a rock at your head. Asshole.
    I get mad at both bikes and cars that are stupid to each other. There is so much car-bike antagonism that makes the road unsafe for so many people that just gets exacerbated every time someone does something stupid. A while back I had a bunch of bike riding coworkers who used to brag about being assholes to cars and then some lady got so pissed at bikes in general that she started deliberately running them off the road. Like driving over to the other side of the road to scare them into a ditch. The whole thing was insane.

I'm actually super cool with bikers in general. If you're on the sidewalk cruising along slowly, generally behaving like a pedestrian, I will yield to you as a pedestrian even though you're legally a vehicle who is supposed to follow the rules of the road.

If you're in the road behaving like a vehicle I will patiently drive behind you until I can get around you while giving plenty of space while I pass you. I always am aware of motorcycles and bicycles and do the whole 'look twice' thing.

If you're in the road (or for that matter the sidewalk) traveling just as fast as a car (and breaking the speed limit to boot since it was a school zone) then you bet your ass that you better act like a vehicle. If I wasn't such a good driver (or wasn't paying attention/didn't notice him) and didn't make sure this asshole was slowing down for his stop sign first before going ahead on my way, he would most certainly have either made bodily contact with my car or crashed his bicycle trying to avoid being hit. Bicyclists are not special snowflakes who get to do whatever they feel like whenever it strikes them.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • ovenrack said:
    JEPES1348 said:
    I dislike the term "lesbian." I think it's derogatory. I see no need to differentiate if a gay individual is male or female. We don't have a special term for straight males or females. Who cares if she's a woman; why does she have to be called a lesbian (or why does anything need to be said about her sexual orientation, for that matter)? 
    I do not this "lesbian" is derogatory. Labels can either suck (when they're thrust upon a group of people without their consent) or be awesome (form communities and shared experiences between like people).  

We have special terms for all sorts of groups of people. I'm a bibliophile.  I love books. Wait, but why does anything have to be said about how I feel about books for that matter?  Because i consider it part of who I am. 

If I'm a woman who wants to sleep with a woman, it's super helpful if someone identifies her as a lesbian. 

If your issue is really about saying "I'm a lesbian" versus "I'm a gay woman," well, I can only ask why on earth is that an issue?

There are plenty of derogatory words people use to categorize gay people, why would you be dislike one which isn't unwanted?

NOTE: this is based off the fact that I do not know any gay women who are offend by the term lesbian. If you, @JEPES1348, are one, I will rethink my stance.  Maybe. 

I think she meant more: you call yourself a bibliophile, not a bibliophilette because you are a woman.

Plus, IMO, it helps play into the mindset that two women in a sexual relationship is something taboo and sexy whereas two men is perverted and wrong. When I was collecting signatures in support of same sex marriage, there were several men who made comments about only being ok with it if it was two women, har har!
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • ovenrack said:
    JEPES1348 said:
    I dislike the term "lesbian." I think it's derogatory. I see no need to differentiate if a gay individual is male or female. We don't have a special term for straight males or females. Who cares if she's a woman; why does she have to be called a lesbian (or why does anything need to be said about her sexual orientation, for that matter)? 
    I do not this "lesbian" is derogatory. Labels can either suck (when they're thrust upon a group of people without their consent) or be awesome (form communities and shared experiences between like people).  

We have special terms for all sorts of groups of people. I'm a bibliophile.  I love books. Wait, but why does anything have to be said about how I feel about books for that matter?  Because i consider it part of who I am. 

If I'm a woman who wants to sleep with a woman, it's super helpful if someone identifies her as a lesbian. 

If your issue is really about saying "I'm a lesbian" versus "I'm a gay woman," well, I can only ask why on earth is that an issue?

There are plenty of derogatory words people use to categorize gay people, why would you be dislike one which isn't unwanted?

NOTE: this is based off the fact that I do not know any gay women who are offend by the term lesbian. If you, @JEPES1348, are one, I will rethink my stance.  Maybe. 
    No no, I don't necessarily think gay women find it derogatory, but ITK is right in my stance; I take issue with how men, media, and various people use it. I guess I just don't see the point in singling someone out as a woman by using a specific term. If someone is a gay woman and identifies with the lesbian culture (and there is a historical culture) and prefers to be called as such, then of course that's fine. I just don't prefer when others call gay women lesbians just because they are gay + female. I don't know- it's hard to explain. Also, I'm not trying to post and run- I have to get LO from daycare! 

• my UO on my BMB because all the babies are having/have just had their birthdays was that I really don't understand why people think babies all smeared with food/food in their hair, etc. is so adorable. I think it's sort of gross. I don't plan on taking pictures of my kid with cake all smeared everywhere, although I'm sure MH will take some.
  • my UO: neighbors suck and I would much rather not live near anyone
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mandmeesh said:
    my UO: neighbors suck and I would much rather not live near anyone
    don't even get me started. we are surrounded by crazy people. The neighbors are a huge reason I want to move. 

• Mapleme said:
    @Mapleme, since you're no longer Honey Porpoise, my new nickname for you is The Onion. Every time I come on here, you're always revealing another layer :)
    What about cake? Everybody loves cake!
    You would have to be like one of the those crepe cakes with a million layers.  I love onions, btw.  DS loves them, too.  Raw.  It's adorable.
  • Shall I start calling you Crepe Cake?
  • LOL.  The Shrek reference went right over my head.  Haven't seen that one in a looooooong time.  
  • imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • I agree on family names, their silly. I can get behind putting a deceased beloved grandparent in the middle name slot, but if they are alive it's just weird. More so if it's the same name!

On this same trend I dated a guy that was a Junior. Him and his Dad were both named Donald, his mom was a Donna. You couldn't go to their house and yell "Don" without everyone chiming in.

Also, naming your child a family name due to "tradition" even though it's not really a name you love is silly. My SIL did this. It's traditional to flip flop the first boys name each generation. So, for them BIL is Adam John, their son is John Adam. Weird.

Same with giving feminine versions of male names to "honor" someone. This is coming from someone who was supposed to be an Andrew Michael to honor my dad (who is also Michael), but came out female and named Andrea Michelle.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We didn't purposely name m after mh's brother...we just love the name.
    And I cherish my middle name being after my dad

• @Mapleme, since you're no longer Honey Porpoise, my new nickname for you is The Onion. Every time I come on here, you're always revealing another layer :)

Seriously Maple is there anything you don't have experience with? You need some kind of expert all wise knowing person badge...

@Mandmeesh needs to get working on some super new badges for everyone.

The price for super awesome badges is as follows: new badge = surprise

LLOL

We need another poll thing. I hate my badge

• Mandmeesh said:

@Mapleme, since you're no longer Honey Porpoise, my new nickname for you is The Onion. Every time I come on here, you're always revealing another layer :)

Seriously Maple is there anything you don't have experience with? You need some kind of expert all wise knowing person badge...

@Mandmeesh needs to get working on some super new badges for everyone.
    The price for super awesome badges is as follows: new badge = surprise

LLOL

We need another poll thing. I hate my badge

Send me your address then. I'll send you the nastiest surprise I can conjure up. ;))

Haha. I would love *almost* anything

And I thought I already did?

• G's middle name is MH's my FIL's and my GFIL's middle name. MH's grandfather is the only deceased one on that list. I did totally hate the name before G was born, but I like it now. I also really like using names to keep a connection to family roots.

@Nana_Osaki06 I was named after my dad too (first name only) as well as my grandmother,(whom I don't remember). While I don't love my name, I know it means a lot to my dad, and I like feeling like it has a bit of meaning.
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Nope. But seriously, I've already got something I'm working on, plus A's summer wardrobe needs to be finished, and then I'm making a nb stash and some cashmere sleep sacks, so any other projects are on the way, way backburner. Considering how crappy I feel, I have no idea when that all will be done.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • @Mapleme, since you're no longer Honey Porpoise, my new nickname for you is The Onion. Every time I come on here, you're always revealing another layer :)

I was thinking we have a couple newer ones in need of badges here.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • And I'm glad that it comes off as "all wise knowing" and not "effin know it all."
    Crap. "Effin know it all" is what I was going to suggest as your new badge. You don't think it has a nice ring to it?
    Oh this is your new badge for sure, Maple! It'll match with Awful's badge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"