February 2013 Moms
Options

forbidden objects

I have tried to set it up so I'm not telling M no all the time.  However, she is only allowed to have forks at her high chair, only allowed to have chalk outside, and only allowed to play with crayons and playdough at her little table.  Taking these things away when she no longer wants to be in the location often leads to a meltdown, but they are short-lived.  However, I seem to have created an bad association with these items.  At her developmental assessment, one of the problems was that there were obvious pens and silverware out and she couldn't have them.  At the baby gym yesterday, she wanted to carry around the bucket of chalk, but other kids wants to use the chalk and she would scream and cry if anyone tried to take a piece.  She's not generally obsessed with items she is allowed to have, and if she does melt down when regular items are taken away in public situations, it's isn't usually a major long term deal.  Should I be treating these items differently?

Re: forbidden objects

• Options
    Thanks guys.  It's just that I seem to have created some kind of crazy obsession.  She plays with chalk and tries to get the i-phone playing music at the baby gym when she should be playing with their neat blocks or jumping on the trampoline.  She seems to have high anxiety around these items such that she can share blocks but not chalk.  It's not like I scream at her or anything with respect to the forbidden items, but they are a huge deal and her focus when the other fun items are usually just meh.
  • Options
    i agree with others...stick withy our rules...maybe instead of saying no just redirect attention...take the fork away but give her something else in its place.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DC2London said:
    DS does that with shoes.  He'll be having a great time at his baby class but then suddenly decides he NEEDS his shoes.  The kid loves shoes.
    DD2 too!!! I'm honestly a little worried this girl is going to have a fetish and a closet with 400 pairs of shoes (I probably have about 12 pairs total and have always had a bit of a hard time understanding the women with the huge collections...).

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"