November 2013 Moms

sitting up unassisted

I'm noticing from HDBD pics that many of your babies are sitting up unassisted. I totally get that all babies develop at their own pace, and we are at the young end of N13, but I'd like to help A along if I can. He has very little interest in sitting and will just let himself topple over without even trying to balance. But I just know he can do it! :)

For those whose babes are sitting... did you practice with them at all? What seemed to keep their interest?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: sitting up unassisted

• And I should add... do they actually push themselves up to that position? Or do you have to set them down that way?

• Loading the player...
  • @Melissa1506 Ok, that's kind of what I've been trying to do with him. The most success I've had is on the floor with the TV on because that way he doesn't faceplant into the carpet, but obviously that's not a habit I want to develop.

• We put her in the position.  She just started really sitting on her own yesterday.  We have a FP Sit Me Up that has toys attached to it so I think that helped along with how we sit with her.  I tend to sit with her facing outward on my leg.  We also put her in her high chair when we eat and when she eats and put her in the seat in the cart when we're out shopping if we can.

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

• And I should add... do they actually push themselves up to that position? Or do you have to set them down that way?
    We have to plop her down that way. She's not strong enough to get there on her own yet and I'm SO not looking forward to that day. Not ready to lower that crib mattress just yet nor is my back.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Kim22Kim22 member
    I put the boppy behind him in case he went back (I have hardwood floors) and a toy in front. My guy will be 7 months next week and can sit and move to his belly but cannot get himself to a sitting position yet.
  • He has not mastered sitting up on his own yet, we have to put him down sitting and he will sit for a while but if he falls over we have to help sit him back up.
    I set Evie down in the seated position.  She can't push herself into that position.  And when she topples over, she needs help getting back up.

We did lots of floor time.  I would sit behind her to assist her with toys surrounding us until she was able to be unassisted.  We also use a bumbo and have a chair from Fisher Price that may have resulted in her being more interested in sitting unassisted.
  • We would sit him on the floor and sit right behind him and put a bunch of toys in front of him and eventually he was able to sit on his own. It took some time for him to get used to it and not topple over.

This. Lots of sitting on the floor playing with toys.

• L can sit fairly good and knows how to catch himself should he fall forward or to the sides (falling backwards is another story). What I found helped us a bit was to just let him fall a couple times and not catch him - but dear god make sure there's a soft surface - he noticed that he needs to use a bit of his own strength to keep in an upright position and grab objects.
    A lot of times though, he will purposely fall and commando crawl away from me..sneaky boy

• We sit him that way. He can't get himself up that way yet. He just got up on all 4's for the first time though so not long! But I hope it's a while.. Lol. We so need to baby proof.. Like yesterday! Basically everything everyone else said. I read that it helps to let them "fall" so they learn the result if they lean too far. I hated that! But I put pillows all around him and I still stay close because he's fallen backwards twice and screamed for like 20 minutes..
  • Si has way too large a noggin. Poor kid just topples over. He already got a bruise from diving over my legs to the floor. MOTY.
    That's probably part of A's problem, too. He is in the 99th percentile for head circumference, lol. Must mean our boys are really smart! ;)

• We practiced. We play on the floor a lot with her. When she first started, it was that triangle position, with her leaning forward on her hands. Now she is much better at sitting straight up, but she will still topple over backwards sometimes. She is getting much better with self correcting though. If I won't be right next to her, then I put a boppy behind her, but I try to spread it a little so that it is not touching her, but it will be there if she goes back.

• We practiced too. Lots of tummy time helps them get a strong core so they can roll and sit. I would prop her up to sitting and eventually she could sit on her own. A couple weeks ago she started pushing herself into sitting by herself. This baby is so intense and can crawl and she is trying to pull up. All babies are different. My DD1 wasn't like this at all. So count yourself lucky that you don't need to baby proof as soon.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Isaac never really liked laying down... if we were sitting holding him, we just held him kind of sitting.

We used the boppy for a while but he just got the hang of it really quick... 

Proud mama moment: at his 6 month check up, his ped. said he sits like a 7.5 month old!
  • She loves sitting now, but it really happened overnight. Your LO will get there!

I usually sit her in the boppy while I'm getting ready in the morning with some toys. I think that has helped, then one day she was magically sitting on her own. I always have to put her down sitting up, she's not strong enough yet to get there on her own. E is one of the older babies of the group, born in the beginning of Nov. She still topples over sometimes when she reaches for a you and loses her balance.
  • @JoeLies It's fascinating how different these babes are! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think C is only one day younger than A (we are 11/22). A rolls like a champ and even army crawls but is uninterested in sitting. Crazy kids. :)

• We also practiced....I sat her in between my legs and put a taller/bigger toy in front of her like the stacking rings or activity box or a book. We did that for a few weeks along with lots of tummy time and she began to start sitting unassisted. I still put the boppy behind her in case she falls cause im paranoid.
  • @JoeLies He's on the smaller side at 17 lbs. but he does have a big head. Interesting thought though.

• sands42sands42 member
    I started sitting him up in the boppy pillow. Now he sits up on his own just fine. He also was crawling at 5 1/2 months and pulls up on everything. I was not expecting this because my daughter was not doing things so early... Maybe he's trying to keep up with her...
  • I was actually googling this earlier. Marlowe has been on the move for about 3 weeks and I'm very close to calling it true "crawling". But she won't really sit on her own. She's great in our laps but as far as sitting on the floor she can't do it for very long. I'm not sure if something could be wrong w her hips or she's just disinterested in sitting still...any thoughts?
  • SV917SV917 member

I was actually googling this earlier. Marlowe has been on the move for about 3 weeks and I'm very close to calling it true "crawling". But she won't really sit on her own. She's great in our laps but as far as sitting on the floor she can't do it for very long. I'm not sure if something could be wrong w her hips or she's just disinterested in sitting still...any thoughts?
    This was H. He had no interest in sitting and would arch his back if you tried to put him in that position. He wanted to be on the move. Then about 2 days ago he figured out how to sit up on his own and now he loves sitting and can sit and play for several minutes. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was actually googling this earlier. Marlowe has been on the move for about 3 weeks and I'm very close to calling it true "crawling". But she won't really sit on her own. She's great in our laps but as far as sitting on the floor she can't do it for very long. I'm not sure if something could be wrong w her hips or she's just disinterested in sitting still...any thoughts?
    I wouldn't worry about her. .... A is very close to crawling too and army crawls like crazy. 

Thanks for the thoughts and tips, everyone. We're going to focus on playing on the floor more this week and see how he does. I've already noticed a little improvement from a few days ago when I have him sit in front of me (with my legs to protect him from falling). They will get there, all in their own time. :)

• I would sit Isaiah up in the pack and play several times a day with a bobby behind him and pillows on each side. He would be leaned forward at first. As his back got stronger he would be sitting more up right. I kept at it each day to make sure I was at least attempting to help him do it. Right before he hit 5 months he was sitting up unassisted for a good 3-5 minutes at a time without falling over sometimes longer when he felt like it. Lol. Now he can do it for an extended period of time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"