August 2014 Moms

Birthing music playlist :)

Just read this article saying that lots of birthing mothers play 'Hear me Roar' by Katy Perry. I think that song would make me too emotional! I cry at even the slightest thing these days, it's ridiculous. 

So - Anyone planning to make a playlist for birth? If so, what kind of music? :) 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2641816/New-mothers-opting-birth-listen-music-Katy-Perry-hit-Roar-popular-choices.html

Re: Birthing music playlist :)

• I don't think I'll make a playlist, simply because I'm not that organized... But I definitely want music this time. I'm thinking I may just pull up my favorite stations on pandora. The first time I heard Katy Perry's roar I totally thought of it as a birth song, and it gets me EVERY time. I wonder if certain songs would make me too emotional as well, but I also think it would be a welcome thing for me to focus on during labor. A lot of the artists I'm drawn to for using while I'm laboring are the same ones that I would listen to on my long runs when I was marathon training-

Imagine dragons
    Mumford & sons
    Florence and the machine
    Incubus

Pandora should work for my purposes, I hope ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • RacllaRaclla member
    NMS.  I never would have thought of having music.  Everything was tuned out during delivery.  DH and the Doc were the only things I could even try to notice. 
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Loading the player...
  • shevaCCshevaCC member
    Not a big music person. I don't dislike it, but I don't think I'll worry about it. DH has a Pandora subscription so he might put something on in the background, but nothing special.
  • I had a CD when DS was born (16+ years ago).  It was all movie soundtrack and classical music that I loved:
    Schindler's List (I know, depressing movie, beautiful music)
    Dragonheart
    Mozart Horn Concertos

Just stuff like that.  I find music with words is too distracting, and I'm one of those who sleeps with music (or used to). 

My attending nurse (who was also my Lamaze teacher) asked if she could keep it.  I let her keep it.

I'll probably create some kind of playlist for this go-round.  Not sure if I'll use it or not, but...why not?  If I don't want or need it, that's all good. 

It will probably be somewhat similar; more classical and movie soundtracks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• Mine is classical and New Age. Lots of Mozart, Enya, George Winston piano solos, Beethoven etc.

image    image
  • poofwokpoofwok member
    Nah, don't think I will bother. Just having SO there will be enough. Don't think I'll really care for music at that point anyway.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • My DH loves making playlists, so this is his deal.  Who knows what will be on there!  I just said some chill music.

My TTC Journey:
    Dx: Hypothalamic amenorrhea / mild PCOS (Pretty much a hormone/ovulatory disorder)
    Progesterone to induce period w/ the goal of Clomid - never got period (September 2011). Referred to RE.
    Femera - never responded to the meds (December 2011)
    Clomid with TI - BFN (February 2012)
    Injectables (Menopur) - hyperstimulated/canceled (March 2012)
    Injectables #2 (Menopur) with TI- BFN (May 2012)
    IVF - OHSS (transfer canceled), but 11 frozen! (June 1012)
    FET - 1 transferred on 8/09/12. Beta#1 (11dp5dt): 350.3; Beta#2: 365; Beta#3: 157. Biochemical pregnancy.
    FET # 2 - 1 transferred on 11/01/12. Beta#1 (11dp5dt): 337; Beta#2: 769. BFP!!! 1st ultrasound 11/28/12 showed heartbeat, but measuring 5 days behind. 2nd ultrasound 12/05/12 - miscarriage.
    FET # 3 - 1 transferred on 1/24/13. Beta#1 (11dp5dt): BFN.
    FET # 4 - 2 transferred on 3/21/13.  Bet #1 (11dp5dt): 660; Beta#2: 1,300.  Miscarried at home @ 6 weeks.

FET # 5 - 2 transferred on 7/12/13.  Beta #1 (10dp6dt): BFN.
    Attempted an IUI in late August 2013, but didn't respond well.
    IVF #2 with PGS - Stims started 10/28 with retrieval on 11/11.  Of 14 mature eggs, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to Day 5 & 1 made it to Day 6. We did PGS on the Day 5 embryos, and 3 of 4 were normal. Had ET on 11/17. Beta #1 (8dp6dt): 203. Beta #2 (10dp6dt): 618. We since had two ultrasounds & on 12/19, our RE released us to the OB.  On 1/02/14, we had our first ultrasound with the OB where we heard the heartbeat.  We are so thankful for the blessing & crossing every finger & toe for a healthy & successful pregnancy.

photo JuneBugs_IFbump.jpgimageimage

http://i49.tinypic.com/v430oh.jpgimage

• Music is my life (and my livelihood!) so I have one! So far, it just has my favorite Beethoven symphony (Number 6, Pastoral), some tracks from my favorite jazz pianist Oscar Peterson, and the song "Eyes" by Kaskade and Mindy Gledhill because I just love it so dang much :) I will be adding some other meditative stuff because my main focus during birth is going to be RELAXING and not tensing. 
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• Venus04Venus04 member
    I probably won't do a playlist, but since I'm a book fanatic, I told DH that if I had to have a C-section, I was going to ask him to read the opening chapters from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the operating room. Assuming that's allowed. I think hearing something familiar and beloved may calm me a little bit.   
  • I had planned to listen to my itunes account during labor but it went so fast that I never even got my laptop out of the car.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• For my past two births I didn't want any extra input.  Lately, I've been drawn to a few pieces and thought I want it for the pushing stage.  Relaxing music for earlier is fine, but I'm thinking the strong orchestra pieces like they like to use in battle scenes in movies is what I want for the end.  I like to go with what my intuition says for birth even if it would normally be very out of character normally.  So I guess I'll be creating some play lists over the next two months.
  • I've thought about it but probably won't make a playlist. We plan to bring the laptop (iTunes) and also have Pandora on our phones so can always use that. Depending on how quickly L&D goes it may be a welcome distraction. Guess I won't know until it happens!

Also, I would assume this would be ok? Didn't even think to ask my doctor about it. Should I? ?
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • I went through the whole process of picking out music then never even played it! I watched TV and talked with DH, then tried to sleep.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I am planning for some relaxing tunes for the bulk of labor and then def some push music composed of my fav work out tunes to keep me strong when I need it. Rolling in the Deep is a must on the push list. Love my girl, Adele!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • I don't think I'll make a playlist, simply because I'm not that organized... But I definitely want music this time. I'm thinking I may just pull up my favorite stations on pandora. The first time I heard Katy Perry's roar I totally thought of it as a birth song, and it gets me EVERY time. I wonder if certain songs would make me too emotional as well, but I also think it would be a welcome thing for me to focus on during labor. A lot of the artists I'm drawn to for using while I'm laboring are the same ones that I would listen to on my long runs when I was marathon training-

Imagine dragons
    Mumford & sons
    Florence and the machine
    Incubus

Pandora should work for my purposes, I hope ;)

Yes! Exactly the same running music that gets me going and probably what I'll want during labor as well.
  • BeachMBeachM member
    I don't even remember if we had music playing, but I know DH brought his ipod and speakers.  My back was too busy feeling like it was being split in two from back labor for me to notice anything else.

Can I have music in the OR during a RCS?  Perhaps I'll have Handel's Messiah playing so I can listen to the Hallelujah Chorus once baby is out to celebrate avoiding pitocin this time around.

• cblakincblakin member
    Can I have music in the OR during a RCS?  Perhaps I'll have Handel's Messiah playing so I can listen to the Hallelujah Chorus once baby is out to celebrate avoiding pitocin this time around.
    I would think so.  i've attended a few surgeries (not l&d) and the surgical team always puts on music when they start.  i definitely want music if i have to have a cesarean!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"