Multiples
Options

Diastasis recti (separated abdominal muscles)

I'm 2 weeks postpartum (sched c section 37.6 wks). I still have a huge separation of my abdominal wall (and look rather pregnant). Will this improve at least somewhat on its own?? ( I know my abdominal wall won't ever be the same but the current state is a bit much.). Thanks

Re: Diastasis recti (separated abdominal muscles)

• Options
    I have diastais recti from my twin pregnancy as well.  At my postpartum check-up my OB could feel in my stomach the separation (mine is about 2 finger-widths).  Some claim you can improve it via physical therapy or some exercise programs (I've heard mutu is a good one), but from my research you usually need surgery to completely fix the problem.  This is usually done via a tummy tuck, during which they stitch back the muscles together.  It is rarely covered by insurance, but I have heard of some people finding ways to have it covered.

You should probably do some of your own research as I haven't done much of my own, because I know I won't be able to go through with the surgery until my twins are 3 years old because you can not pick up the kids when you are recovering.  Anywho, there are a few facebook groups and I'm sure a lot of other information about it online.  I am sure since you are only 2 weeks postpartum your stomach will improve a lot.  My twins just turned 1 and I lost all my weight so I can tell that things are not just going to magically improve without the surgery.  Best of luck!!

Mom to 3 wonderful girls:
    Eva, born on 1/2/11
    Celia and Lily, born on 5/17/13
  • Options
    I had a 4 finger separation and corrected it with physical therapy. I am sure that severe cases will require surgery, but I would absolutely consult a pt first, as that kind of surgery involves a long, painful recovery. Find someone who specializes in women's health and postpartum recovery, if possible. 

It may improve somewhat on its own but it could also get worse, especially if you don't have someone walk you through the types of movements/exercises to avoid (sit ups and crunches and anything where your back is not straight will make it worse, for instance.) The muscle separation compromises your core strength and puts a lot of pressure on your back muscles to pick up the slack. As your babies get bigger, this will more and more of an issue. 

Good luck!

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    basil2basil2 member
    Thanks - surgery isn't something I'd even consider at this point - and I'm not even ready to commit to a bunch of PT visits (but will if it doesn't improve). I'm basically just wondering if it will get somewhat better on it's own, or am I stuck with this level of separation unless I do something??
  • Options
    I had this with my singleton DS and am sure it will happen again with the twins. In my case, it did not get better until I started working on it. I didn't need PT visits with a dr or anything, but there are many exercises you can do at home to help, but you have to diligent about it. For me, getting better on its own did not happen. My DS was 12 months old when we got pg with the twins and it had all but disappeared and I notice my core strength come back, but I worked at it every day for the better part of 8 months. I think you will be stuck unless you work at it. Muscles need to be exercised to get strong. Just my experience.
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I had just over a 4 finger separation and now it is down to less than two with about 8 weeks of PT.  I don't know if there is an Athletico where you are, but you can go in there for a free screening and they will provide you with some exercises to use to close the gap.  It will not go away on its own, but the exercises are easy.  You do have to commit to doing them like twice a day, though.  In the mean time, when getting up from a laying position, do like in pregnancy and roll to the side, sitting straight up is only going to weaken your connective tissue.

From what my PT and OB told me, surgery is only for people who are very extreme.  My PT said she has seen people with 6 fingers that healed without surgery, so it is definitely not a death sentence.  Most people get TT for the excess skin and then just get their DRA repaired along with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    basil2basil2 member
    Thanks everyone! I'll see how it is when I go in for my 6 wk postoperative visit and by the sounds of it- I'm going to need some PT.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"