December 2013 Moms
Options

I have to know....

bty19bty19 member
edited May 2014 in December 2013 Moms
Is your EBF baby sleeping through the night?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I have to know.... 225 votes

yes
28% 65 votes
no
45% 103 votes
results please
25% 57 votes

Re: I have to know....

• Options
    bty19bty19 member
    People keep questioning why my LO isn't sleeping through the night yet.  I'm getting tons of "advice".

( I don't know if she is genuinely hungry , or is waking because of habit.....I'd like to test it with some formula and see if she sleeps a bit longer.)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby is BF (I guess I can't say EBF since we've introduced rice cereal and purées) and he still isn't sleeping through the night. I heard introducing solids might have helped him sleep but that's not happening over here. Ugh

But glad I'm not alone!
  • Options
    bty19bty19 member
    My baby is BF (I guess I can't say EBF since we've introduced rice cereal and purées) and he still isn't sleeping through the night. I heard introducing solids might have helped him sleep but that's not happening over here. Ugh But glad I'm not alone!
    Good point! I guess most babies here are of the age where solids are being introduced and not likely many are still EBF...

• Options
    jy725jy725 member
    What is your night routine with feeding? Does LO get any pumped bottles, if so what amount?
  • Options
    ErinO21ErinO21 member
    He is BF + solids (with the exception if the last few days while we work his poop issues out) but even before solids he was sleeping 9:30-7:30. Now it's 8:30-7. He will throw me a curveball and wake up once every now and then. I EP'd bc latch/weight gain issues/thrush for the first 3ish months so he "knew" how much he needed and after we got nursing down he was able to transfer that same amount (I'm assuming) to last him until morning.

I should also add that when he is with me he naps like shit during the day.

• Options
    M&H2011 said:

Technically yes. Approximately 8:30-4:30, feeding, 4:45-6ish, feeding, 6:30-8ish.

I don't get to bed until 10 or 11 most nights so I don't feel super rested with all of the early morning feedings.

Eta: except when she is working on a new milestone. The few days leading up to it are insane. Like 4-5 feedings a night. Every time she displays a new milestone she goes back to the above sleep pattern that she started around 8 weeks.

This almost exactly
  • Options
    bty19bty19 member
    What is your night routine with feeding? Does LO get any pumped bottles, if so what amount?
    She only gets a pumped bottle if I am out (Twice a week) before bed or on weekends of we are with friends/family etc and I want the ease of a bottle/DH to feed her/had some drinks. But there is no difference in sleeping on the nights she gets one. She usually drinks 3oz in a bottle.

She WAS only waking up twice...( Bed at 830 and waking to eat at 230ish and 530ish..Then wake at 730 for the day.  )
    Then 4 months hit and since then she now wakes 3 times a night on average.  Usually sleeping no more than 3 hour chunks, sometimes 2 and eats every time. I try not feeding her, but I usually give in when a soother doesn't work and she starts drinking. 

• Options
    I'm with you on the HELL NO! Logan is eating some solids and now gets a bottle of formula (sometimes 2 oz and sometimes 4 oz) plus bf before bed. I'm getting all the same advice and it hasn't helped. We try to soothe before feeding, but he always ends up eating as well every 1.5-2 hrs. I figure he must be hungry because he empties at least one side.

Sometimes he will sleep from 7-12 but that's the longest stretch. I finally cried about it last weekend with all the "advice" from family. I just feel like all of my friends' babies sleep so much longer. It's draining after almost six months of it...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Recently, Ben has traded going to bed easily for sttn. So while he is sttn now, it takes 2-3 hrs of feeding/rocking/soothing/catnapping to get him down. Not sure which is better or worse! Eta. Of course Ben saw me type that he sttn and was up by 11:30
  • Options
    Our LO has slept as long as 8 hrs straight, but sometimes still does only 4 hr stretches ... Can't complain.
  • Options
    LawrenLawren member
  • Options
    ameegeeameegee member
    Jealous of some of your schedules. We're 8-1 (if she's on her back or side) feeding, 1:30-3 feeding 3-4:30 feeding 4:30-6 up for the day. If she's on her belly we can manage 8-3 or 4. She needs to be on her belly (but I'm not putting her there)
  • Options
    DanicaliDanicali member
    edited May 2014
    Hell no. Sleep around 730/8. Eats at 1030, 1, 3/4, 5/6, and up around 730. Usually he only sleeps 2.5 hours at a time. Last night he did 3. He slept 4-6 hours straight around 2 months old, but for the last couple months this has been his schedule!
  • Options
    ameegeeameegee member
    @ballerina10‌ yeah,... I was being generous with 1 lol. It's usually around 12:30. If we get past midnight sometimes I'm happy. She'll go from sleeping 7-8 hours one night to literally 2 the next. Painful. Guess how she sleeps those nights....
  • Options
    He goes down about 7-8. He was waking up at about 11-12am then again at 4am. We recently sleep trained through the midnight wake up. I am convinced at least that one was habit. He still gets up between 3-4am and I'll still feed him then. He'll then sleep until I wake him up for DC or until 8-8:30am if we don't have to go.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options
    Wow this makes me feel so much better. I was imagining that we were behind the curve.

Over here it's bedtime and 5-6oz of pumped milk around 7-7:30, a feeding between 1:30 and 3 and another feeding between 5 and 6:30, depending on how early the first one was. If only I could get him to sleep consistently until 6:30 or go back to sleep after the second feeding I would actually be happy with this schedule, but sometimes we are up for the day at 5. I actually don't mind one MOTN feeding. There is something special about sharing that moment with him that I will miss oddly.

I know this is heavily debated around here but we have been using Ferber to teach LO to fall asleep on his own this week and it has really reduced his MOTN wakings. Before we did it he was waking 2-3 extra times just for soothing/pacifier reinsertion. He has not cried for longer than 11 minutes before falling asleep since we started and now just cries for 2 min or less then rolls over to sleep. He is also happier during the day than he has ever been!
  • Options
    n8swifen8swife member
    DS is EBF. We haven't started solids yet and he eats once during the night around 4am. DS1 is 2 and still has yet to STTN. Not much sleeping going on in this house.
  • Options
    Nope nope nope. She's up once a night at least and has never truly slept through at this point. She will often do a 9-10 hour stretch, though. DD1 was STTN at this point, though, and was also EBF.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LO was EBF up until a couple of weeks ago. He was STTN for about 3 months. Lately he's been getting up to nurse once a night. But I can't complain because he sleeps from about 9-3 or 4 and then again until 8.
  • Options
    Forget about rice cereal, I put weight gainer 2000 in that kid's milk and he still wakes up 16 times a night. My husband said I should start letting him cry so I did and after 30 minutes, he said 'Hey Mom you dumb cow, come and feed me already. I want a McDonald's value meal 3 combo with an orange soda!' and I was like 'You get it yourself you lazy piece of crap!'. He just turned 243 months old today. The doctor said if he's still not sleeping through the night by 244 months I should just ask him to move out. Or at least stop letting him sleep in our bed.
    @ricecereal. FTFY.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    bty19bty19 member

I keep telling myself if she is hungry, feed her. If it's 3 times a night, so be it. But there is a part of me that wonders if she neeeeeeeds to eat or not.  How does one know?!?!  I keep thinking about sleep training but what it she's legit needing to eat?

• Options
    bty19 said:

I keep telling myself if she is hungry, feed her. If it's 3 times a night, so be it. But there is a part of me that wonders if she neeeeeeeds to eat or not.  How does one know?!?!  I keep thinking about sleep training but what it she's legit needing to eat?

Try just giving her cuddles and a paci when she wakes up instead of feeding her. If that works then she's just waking out of habit or wakes up and needs help getting back to sleep. And at least it would be easier than feeding.
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.

• Options
    bty19bty19 member

bty19 said:

Try just giving her cuddles and a paci when she wakes up instead of feeding her. If that works then she's just waking out of habit or wakes up and needs help getting back to sleep. And at least it would be easier than feeding.
    Ok ya , I do that. The odd time it works but usually it makes her cry even louder. Which is why I presume she's hungry. :)
    Thanks.

• Options
    bty19 said:

Ok ya , I do that. The odd time it works but usually it makes her cry even louder. Which is why I presume she's hungry. :) Thanks.
    Ugh, sorry!

• Options
    dupedupe member
    I put yes bc most nights it is yes, but maybe once or twice a week lo wakes up and wants to nurse a little and she goes right back to sleep.
  • Options
    Not. Even. Close. I was just telling SO last night how much I miss just sleeping through a whole night without waking up, it's been sooooo long! LO still wakes up on average 3 times each night...sometime more. I'm running out of patience :(
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"