Pregnant after a Loss

CPW: WWPGALD- Speaking of whooping cough

MrsWallickMrsWallick member
edited May 2014 in Pregnant after a Loss
My mom decided to tell me the other day that I never received my full round of pertussis vaccine because I did have a reaction to it at 2 months old. The reaction was classified as "moderate", fever of 103, and my pediatrician advised my mom to discontinue that vaccine. I asked my OB if I should still receive the vaccine since AAP recommends it for all pregnant women. She said that there's no way of knowing how my body will react. I could be totally fine or I could have the same reaction.

She did say that I could get the shot after baby was born, as an option, if I really wanted it. I want to do what's best for my baby, but I'm nervous about the possibility of getting a 103 degree fever with a few days old baby. DH thinks I should take the risk because being protected is best for the baby and a fever won't kill me. I don't know what to do. I am pro vaccines and want to do what's best for my baby. So, what would PGAL do?

**** This is not meant to be a discussion regarding vaccines in general or pass judgement on anyone's choices regarding vaccines. I am just looking for opinions regarding my particular situation. Thank you*****

BFP #1: 3/23/13, EDD: 11/22/13, MC: 4/2/13
Convinced it was a boy and missing him every day!
BFP #2: 10/25/13, EDD: 7/3/14, Grow baby Grow! Anabelle Rose born 6/6/14 

image     image

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic August Siggy Challenge: If Babies Could Talk

CPW: WWPGALD- Speaking of whooping cough 56 votes

I would get it after baby is born.
82% 46 votes
I wouldn't get it.
17% 10 votes

Re: CPW: WWPGALD- Speaking of whooping cough

• megbmegmegbmeg member
    Just to clarify - your OB said definitely don't get the shot while Pg, but you can get the shot if you want afterward? Does that mean she is advising you to skip it? 

That's tricky. I think I might get it, but I don't know!
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• KMW08KMW08 member
    I voted do it after the baby was born.

I have nothing to back this up, but IMO if you develop a fever - it would be a reaction to the vaccine. Since this fever is a reaction & not a true illness viral infection the fever shouldn't pose any threat to your LO. You might call and clarify this with you with your ob/ob-nurse, but that's my thinking logic.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Loading the player...
  • MrsWallickMrsWallick member
    edited May 2014
    megbmeg said:

Just to clarify - your OB said definitely don't get the shot while Pg, but you can get the shot if you want afterward? Does that mean she is advising you to skip it? 

That's tricky. I think I might get it, but I don't know!
    She advised against getting it while pregnant because there is a risk of me developing a fever. She said its completely my personal choice about getting it afterwards and risking the fever.

@KMW08‌ I think you're right that I couldn't pass along the fever to my LO. I would worry about possible breast feeding issues or my ability to actually care for LO with a high fever. Is that silly?

image     image

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic August Siggy Challenge: If Babies Could Talk
  • I'm also in the "get it after baby is born" camp for all the reasons that KMW and RN mentioned.

TTC since October 2012

BFP#1 1/11/13, EDD 9/19/13, M/C at 9wk6dy 

BFP#2 11/12/13, DS born 7/28/14!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage

image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Chart

Everyone is welcome

• I agree, fevers are normal after vaccines and they will tell you that when you bring LO in for them. Would they be able to give you one in the hospital where they can monitor you just in case? I do think because you had a fever at 2 months doesn't necessarily mean you'd have a reaction today.
  • My hospital offers it to all delivering moms. I think that may be what I do, that way I can be monitored just in case. Thank you for everybody's input!!! I was really nervous about both sides of it, but like a lot of you are saying, times have changed in the past 25 years and my body has built up a stronger immune system than when I was 2 months old, so its very likely that I'll be totally fine.

image     image

• I don't know, this one really is tough. Honestly, I'd be kind of annoyed that my doctor would leave this decision entirely up to me. She's the one with the doctorate in medicine, can't she at least give you her educated opinion on what to do, while still leaving the decision ultimately up to your gut?

• KJsbabeKJsbabe member
    Personally I would much rather risk having a fever for a day or two, over potential infecting my child with a life threatening diseases. Pertussis is not something to mess around with. Have you watched any of the YouTube videos of babies with whooping cough? They are scary and so sad to watch! Personally, I'm going to do everything in my power to prevent my baby from having to go through that. I will get sick any day of the week if it means keeping my baby healthy and safe!
    photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • I would def. get one after delivery unless you've had one in the past 10 years, but it sounds like you haven't. 
    (Are you sure you didn't have to get a Dtap/Tdap shot before college?  It's hard to imagine that the last time you were given this shot was when you were 2 months old, since you are supposed to get a booster on tetanus at least every 10 years).

I did get tetanus boosters but not the full tdap. I am going to get it in the hospital after delivery :)

image     image

• Still lurking here...

Its actually a different (and less effective) vaccine now than it was 25+ years ago. I think the change was in the early 90s. There was an article about it in a recent science news (sorry I'm on mobile and can't put in a link) so that makes it seem even more likely you won't have a reaction this time. Plus what RN and other pps said.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"