December 2014 Moms

Did you really just post your baby's APGAR score on Facebook?? Come on...

Sorry - quick rant here: I girl I know through my husband had her first baby over the weekend.  When I checked her FB post to see the name, weight, length, etc. - she had also posted that the baby's APGAR score.  I was mortified!  Really?? I just found it obnoxious and distasteful to post that when it is really nothing more than saying my baby was healthy!  This is how she posted it: "Baby L was at born 3:04 weighing 6 pounds 15 ounces with an Apgar of 9.9!!"  

Anyway, I was just reminded of exactly why I was never a huge fan of this girl in the first place.  As though a 9.9 APGAR means your baby is heading straight to Harvard! Rant over! Thanks for listening!
Pregnancy Ticker

It's a Boy!  Can't wait to meet the newest man in my life!  

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Did you really just post your baby's APGAR score on Facebook?? Come on...

• Meh. Hide her from FB if she is constantly annoying you. I don think anything is wrong with being happy about a healthy baby.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Ya this doesn't really bother me to be honest.
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Loading the player...
  • jlt3357jlt3357 member
    First time parents get excited about everything. I agree with the pp about hiding her if she annoys you. You can probably look forward to a bunch of posts about the baby's poop if you don't
  • Don't get me wrong --- I'm happy her baby is healthy and it is a great score, but it is just so not necessary to me.  Just say the baby is happy and healthy and doing well.  Most of the people in her FB comment thread didn't even know what the Apgar score was or why it mattered.  It just came across as bragging about something that isn't part of what people usually discuss when a new baby arrives. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

It's a Boy!  Can't wait to meet the newest man in my life!  

BabyFetus Ticker

• That doesn't really bother me either.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Seems like a random thing to add, but I would just ignore it.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Bothering is when you have a friend who gives a daily update on how far dilated and effaced she thinks she is in between appointments...like I really care what's going on between your legs %-(

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• That's an odd thing to include in a birth announcement, but I don't think I'd waste energy caring about it. 
    On another note, I've never heard of a decimal point in an APGAR score before. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• iloveaciloveac member
    We should all be so blessed. It doesn't bother me that she posted the score at all.
  • RayRay007 said:

That's an odd thing to include in a birth announcement, but I don't think I'd waste energy caring about it. 

On another note, I've never heard of a decimal point in an APGAR score before. 
    I've never heard of a decimal point either! I wonder where they lost 0.1 points? One finger was slightly blue?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ehh I don't think it's a big deal. Random, sure. Annoying, no.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• I never found out B's Apgar score -best mother ever right? My mom's friend was so upset that I didn't find out because then she couldn't compare scores of her 25+ year old kids...

I didn't either. I was busy puking my brains out from the c-sec meds. Fun times.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • MeetherMeether member
    I never found out B's Apgar score -best mother ever right? My mom's friend was so upset that I didn't find out because then she couldn't compare scores of her 25+ year old kids...

Same here. Maybe if there was a concern, then I'd ask. But really what's the point of knowing? The only person who I have ever had tell me their kid's is my supervisor. Everyone in the office rolled their eyes and just thought that was his character, loves to brag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • drpaynedrpayne member
    edited May 2014
    I think it's weird that it bothers you so much. You're mortified? It's unnecessary information but I'm not sure how it's distasteful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Meh, I would chalk your annoyance up to overall pregnancy crankiness and overreacting. I had a couple of legendary irrational meltdowns when I was pregnant with DS.

Also, I have no clue what his APGAR score was. I guess if it were bad they would have told me. Mom of the year right here.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • I FB's my first childs APGAR, but that's because it was a 3. It was just a general update for family/friends who wanted to know what was going on and I (obviously) couldn't be bothered to contact each person individually, and my mother was fielding phone calls left and right.

He was a PITA, but he is fine now, smart, happy, but still super short 6yo.

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Meh. The woman's excited about her new baby. It's not something I would put on Facebook, but not something I would judge others for posting about.

Now I get do get annoyed with the play by play birth stories and updating on how dilated someone is at their appointment. That is something I would only share with you lovely ladies :)

• FoxiePMFoxiePM member
    @Krisx2‌ I want you in my FB group no matter how much over sharing you do! Don't we have like 12 of those already? 8-}

***DD 5/15/2004***TTC #2 Since March 2012***Severe MFI*** LameBlog ***

CafeMom Tickers
  • Hmmm...I had to google "APGAR score". Apparently I have a ton of things to learn over the next 30 weeks. Yikes!

• nashamber said:

Hmmm...I had to google "APGAR score". Apparently I have a ton of things to learn over the next 30 weeks. Yikes!

Nah, the APGAR doesn't really matter for anything, unless its bad, but even then its only important to the docs :)

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

• As a mom of a preemie, her APGAR score was a great relief to me, but I don't think I posted or even thought about posting it on facebook. Guess I just figured no one else would know or care what it meant. I agree that she was, however, just excited to have a healthy baby! My annoyance, dads who post about how well endowed their newborn boys are.
    BFP#1 4/8/2012 DD born at 35 weeks on 11/10/12
    BFP#2 11/13, Ectopic diagnosed 12/6/13, Tube and Ectopic Removal 12/16/13 
    BFP#3 3/14, Natural M/C 3/18/14 
    BFP#4 4/18/14, heard heart beat (164) 5/14/14, EDD 12/25/14

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • abenson3 said:
    My annoyance, dads who post about how well endowed their newborn boys are.

Ummm...that would be an immediate unfriend in my book. Gross!

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

• When we learned APGAR there were no decimals just whole numbers. I learned about that 3 mo ago but, the fact that she posted might bother you do to the personal relationship you have with this person.

I am sure the apgars were 9 & 9 but she just wrote it wrong on FB. This is not something that would bother me.

and whenever I talk about Apgar scores I always think of this: https://www.theonion.com/articles/panicked-newborn-didnt-realize-breathing-would-be,34333/

• nashamber said:

Hmmm...I had to google "APGAR score". Apparently I have a ton of things to learn over the next 30 weeks. Yikes!

I also had to google this. 

my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

• kayhold said:
    Eh.

Really, though, at least she didn't post her childs genitals on FB.
    Fave e-card ever!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"