High-Risk Pregnancy

PreE Advice/Protein levels

Hello, Ladies!
For those of you that have been diagnosed with PreE, what were the levels of protein in your urine when you were diagnosed?
I have had PIH for about the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy (I am currently 35w4d), and they have been watching me for PreE. Today my urine showed a protein level of 1+ and my BP was still elevated. I haven't had any major swelling, but I do get headaches often, have problems with my vision, dizziness, and my nausea has come back. I am currently doing the 24 hour urine catch and had blood work drawn today, but I am curious to see what numbers others have received when being diagnosed.
Thanks in advance :)

Re: PreE Advice/Protein levels

• Yes, I drink about 6-8 tall glasses of water a day, and also a glass or two of milk as well. My BP has been fluctuating between 130-150/80-100. Today it was 140/80, after they took it 3 times. & last week it was 130/90. So it's not severely elevated, but the doctors still aren't happy with it. Today is the first time we noticed protein in my urine though.
  • My level was in the 900s when I did the 24 hours urine at 36 weeks.  Everything looked good for delivery so I was induced at 37 weeks.  I never had any high blood pressure, swelling or any other symptoms, just the protein in my urine.  
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I had PreE with my son (high BP started at 37 weeks, PreE officially diagnosed at 39).  At 37.5 weeks, the dipstick was negative for protein, 24 hour catch showed protein around 250 (elevated, but not pre-eclampsia levels yet).  At 39 weeks, the dipstick showed +2 for protein and my 24 hour catch levels were above 1000 (I was induced as soon as the results were back).  It really depends on how well hydrated you were when you gave the dipstick sample, but based on my experience, I'd be prepared for your protein to be at least elevated if not high.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Just was put on hospital bed rest a couple days ago for pre-e and pre term labor so glad to share my numbers :-)

Currently at 32 weeks with BP ranging 140s-150s/80s while on BP meds. My protein for my first urine catch (a Saturday) was 990. I did it again the following Monday and it was 3000. Doing another tomorrow.

Doctor says ideal is to control everything until 37 weeks but realistically looking at how my proteins have skyrocketed so far I'll be lucky if they can keep me til 34 weeks.

I definitely recommend researching the effects of the mag - I was on it for 48 hours (just got off it at 5am today) and it's a doozy. Not looking forward to going back on it for labor and delivery...

Wishing you the best of luck and as much cooking time as possible! :-)
    Due with #1 in July 2014!
  • Thank you so much girls for the advice, it really helps. I will definitely prepare myself just in case and do some research on mag. My DH is really supportive and I know he would be prepared to be there for me no matter what. I just found out that my blood work came back 'fine', but I don't have the 24 hr urine results back yet. Hopefully I will have them by tomorrow; I am getting a little anxious not knowing what is going to happen.
    I'm sorry @beckerec‌ that you are on hospital bed rest and going through this, but I am glad they caught it and are taking care of you! Best of wishes to you and the rest of you :)
  • I feel the same way - sorry to be here, but glad it was caught.

So far my blood work has all been great (like I've been complimented on my platelet count from the MFM doc haha) and they said that is one reason I've probably been hanging in as long as I have - so good blood work is a good sign!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :-) The not knowing what is going to happen will likely be continuous though, just a heads up. There are so many metrics that they look at with this it's impossible to come up with plans or ideas of what might happen. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that front!
    Due with #1 in July 2014!
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    I never showed anything on the protein dip stick for some reason, but when I did the 24 hr. test, my numbers were over 300 but less than 400. Can remember exact numbers.
  • My 24 hr came back under 300, but i dont know the exact number. They said they may test me again in the upcoming weeks, especially if my BP starts to increase more than what it has been lately. So i'm not too worried about right now. They are thinking of inducing me at 39 weeks due to my hypertension anyway, and right now i'm 35w3d, so i'm hopeful that pre-e won't develop from this!
  • @mschware Do be ready to go early, have a hospital bag packed- I'll tell you my own story and hopefully you'll get a laugh out of it.  I went into my 36 week Dr appointment without having my bag packed- things had been fine so far.  But my Dr. told me to go to the hospital from my appointment for bloodwork and admission because of Pre-E.  I made what I thought was a detailed list of what I wanted my husband to bring since he was now packing my bag.  I asked for him to bring a t-shirt for the next day, but didn't specify which one- he brought one of his old band t-shirts that had the word "CHEESEHEAD" written in big letters across the back!  So I walked around/was wheeled around the hospital with that on.  It was just a tiny bit embarrassing. 
  • @mschware Do be ready to go early, have a hospital bag packed- I'll tell you my own story and hopefully you'll get a laugh out of it.  I went into my 36 week Dr appointment without having my bag packed- things had been fine so far.  But my Dr. told me to go to the hospital from my appointment for bloodwork and admission because of Pre-E.  I made what I thought was a detailed list of what I wanted my husband to bring since he was now packing my bag.  I asked for him to bring a t-shirt for the next day, but didn't specify which one- he brought one of his old band t-shirts that had the word "CHEESEHEAD" written in big letters across the back!  So I walked around/was wheeled around the hospital with that on.  It was just a tiny bit embarrassing. 
    haha! that is kind of funny ;) men don't think sometimes! by the way, i meant to say in my comment that i am currently 36w3d, but my 36 week appt is tomorrow! Why did your doctor want to send you straight to the hospital from your appt though? Was your BP super high at the appt or something? Or did you already have a diagnosis of pre-e beforehand? My blood results and urine all passed last week, so I can't imagine it changing very much from then til now, and them wanting to redo it all again this early... I mean, i know it's possible but still!
  • wesleycrusherwesleycrusher member
    edited June 2014
    My 36 week appointment was at 36w5d. I had normal BP, but my urine dip showed I had protein in my urine.  I was sent to the hospital to have bloodwork done and based on that they admitted me to do a 24 hour urine catch.  They said if I was further along they wouldn't have bothered to do the catch but in the meantime it gave them a chance to do an ultrasound to make sure DD's lungs were developed enough to be delivered (they were).  I never had any high BP. 

Looking back, I'm sure I could have taken an hour to go home and pack my bag, I wasn't on bedrest in the hospital or anything, but it was so unexpected, all I heard was "go to the hospital, we might have to induce you asap" so I kinda panicked. 
  • mschwaremschware member
    edited June 2014
    @awesomesauce123‌ i don't blame you! I would have panicked too! I'm just kind of surprised that the protein in your urine was enough for them to send you to the hospital and induce! Was your 24 hr urine count high after they took that then? I wonder what they will say tomorrow if I still have +1 or more protein in my urine again! & I can guarantee my BP will still be high since it's been that way for the past couple months now.
  • @mschware 24 hour was 900+ so pretty high, but I know some people get into the thousands.  I don't know what showed up on my bloodwork though, they took my blood every 6 hours while I was there. I didn't ask many questions at all that now seem so obvious. 

I was so very miserable being pregnant, I'll be honest- I HATED being pregnant, that thought of it ending was so joyful, not that I wanted any complications but I was mentally so.ready to be done that part of me didn't want to question anything.   I am a nurse (not in OB) but it's totally different when you're the patient, I feel like everything was a whirlwind and looking back things I could have asked never even entered my mind.  On the flip side, though, as a nurse I am really trusting of medicine in general.  My doctor was my family doctor that I'd been seeing for years, so I really trusted his judgement.  I was at the hospital for clinicals in nursing school- one of my L&D nurses I went to school with and nurse on the post partum floor was one of my clinical instructors.  It just made me feel really comfortable that they were looking out for me, if that makes sense, so I went along with the flow. 

I don't know, looking back now, maybe those thoughts were kinda naive, but I was happy with my induction experience, so I can really have no complaints. 
  • @mschware I didn't say before but good luck with everything!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"