Breastfeeding

Help with Biting

My DS is turning 11 months next week.  He's been teething really badly the last week or so and I can't get him to stop biting my nipples instead of nursing.  Before he used to nurse and then bite me when he'd get bored.  I learned his cues and had figured out how to unlatch him before this happened (most times).  Now he goes straight to biting before latch.  I've been exclusively pumping the last couple of days, but am not sure how long I can keep that up.  I was really hoping to make it to a year plus.  Anyone BTDT and have tips for getting past this phase? Telling him "no" or "that hurts mommy" only gets a laugh.   

Re: Help with Biting

• No advice since I'm a FTM. But I am experiencing the same thing with my 10.5 month old DD. There are no cues before the biting now, just the pain. :((
  • do you have a teething toy you could offer? like when he bites, say "this is for biting" and give it to him. or you could try giving him something cold (like frozen BM in a mesh feeder or a cold washcloth) before the nursing session. i'd also try to nurse as much as possible in a quiet, dark room, or when your DS is sleepy. also, have you tried giving advil?

i know biting is awful, but it will pass soon. for my DS it was just short phases, usually when he was getting a couple of new teeth. the teeth would come in, and he'd lose interest. hang in there!
  • Loading the player...
  • @crash916‌ I love tit out of support. I feel your pain literally.

@vvvvvfee‌ thanks for the support! I'm very glad to hear this could be just another phase. I have used Advil and teething tablets before. I need to be better at giving him something cold and I like your idea with the teething toy. Maybe I'll even try to use the same one consistently so he gets the idea.

I cried ugly tears last night thinking breastfeeding might be over for us.
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    I like the advice PP gave.  Other things that worked for us:

1.) Smashing his face into my boob so he can't breath until he unlatches.  It sounds mean, but it works.

2.) Sternly saying "No biting" and setting him down immediately after unlatching.  I let him fuss/cry for 30 seconds to a minute.  Then if he's still asking to nurse I let him back up, but start the session by saying "No biting that hurts mommy".

At 19 months, he will actually start to bite me, then stop himself and say "No biting"  it's actually quite cute.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• ".

At 19 months, he will actually start to bite me, then stop himself and say "No biting"  it's actually quite cute.  

That's awesome! You've trained him well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"