January 2014 Moms

Pool time!

If this question or something similar has been posted, please ignore me. I searched but couldn't find anything. My parents have a pool and just got it open and the heater running this past weekend. Looking ahead at the weather, I'd LOVE to take DS "swimming" this weekend. Any STMs or even FTMs with experience of LOs in the pool? I love the water and always have and I am anxious to get Logan in! He enjoys bath time so I think he'll like it. I'll have a hat on him and make sure the water temp is ok. I've seen where they have classes to teach babies to swim. Or rather turn over and float if they were to fall in. Anyone know anything about that?  I know there are some debates on sunscreen before 6 months. I've heard Neutrogena has one that's OK. I have baby Coppertone but apparently that's a no-no?? So I guess this turned into a 2 part question. Pool and sunscreen. Sorry this is a random, jumbled mess of questions. Thanks to anyone who responds!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pool time!

• I would suggest a class before you start dunking him or anything, but supported floating and splashing are fun. I think the recommendation is only 30 min. at a time to prevent body temp from falling too low.

I'm getting M a UV shirt and limiting direct sun exposure until 6 months, so not much help on the sunblock.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• I would never dunk him. Like I said, I love the water. I'm going to try and not scare him at this point! Ha. Just more interested in how that all works, I guess. I'm not sure if anywhere in my area has classes like this. We're in a very small, rural area. But he has a few UV shirts, and my parents house gets limited direct sunlight after about 1pm so I'll just let him splash around and see how it goes.

• Loading the player...
  • @rgoblue I was looking at almost that exact float! And thanks for the sunblock recommendation! :)

• I just bought that float. And I ordered some sunscreen on amazon this week. Badger something. We've taken DD indoor swimming a few times and will be at the pool this summer a lot. We all love the water. So fun!

• I agree with pp on all things. As far as the swim classes I think you are referring to infant swim rescue, you can look on their website for teachers. It's every day for a period of time, you can start at six months so it's definitely a time commitment. They are partnered with crossfit kids too so you can look through them. I've looked into it because I've got a water baby on my hands but the pricing was steep for me so we may have to wait on the lessons. Luckily my whole family are great swimmers and very vigilant about water safety.
  • Thanks everyone! This has all been very helpful! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"