April 2013 Moms

Antibiotic allergies

arschm02arschm02 member
edited May 2014 in April 2013 Moms
William had an ear infection well probably for at least 1.5 weeks but diagnosed on Friday. He is allergic to Amoxicillan (meaning probably all 'cillan' medications) so they prescribed cefdiner (generic for omnicef) for his ear infection. Not only did not get better but was sooo clingy and sad and sleepy all weekend and slept horribly. Sure enough he wakes from nap on Monday with a rash. Figuring it could have been from his fever he had on Friday/Saturday I continued to give his antibiotic on Monday night and this morning. Such a bad choice. His rash is soooo bad and his face was ridiculously splotchy and red. He was up every hour last night crying and was so miserable today. I sent pics to the doctor and they confirmed the allergy to his antibiotic and said it probably was also ineffective to the ear infection as well. Poor baby has been dealing with this for WAY too long. So now we're on azithromycin and hoping for no adverse side effects and prompt relief for little man. 

My question, he's allergic to 2 different types of antibiotics already. So as he gets older and gets sick again he will be limited to what prescriptions he can get. Will the antibiotics he can have become less effective since he won't be able to rotate the types? Is this something I need to be worried about? Also, what on earth causes these allergies? We have no histories of any type of allergies in our family (besides pollen allergies for grandpa and aunt).
"As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh

Re: Antibiotic allergies

• Those two medications are cousins. Some people cross react to both. I think it is safe to say your child is allergic to both Penicillins and Cephalosporins! Don't give any more of the Omnicef!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • PS there are lots of choices for antibiotics, don't stress... and remember, 80-90% of ear infections are viral anyway, which may be why the antibiotics seem ineffective. GL and hope LO gets better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • PSS I'm the only one in my family with a Penicillin or any medication allergy. Boo. Luck of the draw I guess
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"