August 2013 Moms
Options

BFing & Teeth

LO's top two center teeth just started breaking through, and they are scraping my nips when she nurses - ouch! She's not biting or doing it on purpose, so I'm not sure what (if anything) I can do about it. Her bottom two teeth have never been a problem (they broke through a couple months ago). I'm applying lanolin a couple times a day, but is there anything else I can do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BFing & Teeth

• Options
    I had this exact problem and even got two little scabs on each nip from it. To give them a rest I pumped a couple sessions. I found a website that I can't find at the moment but it helped to press your breast from the bottom so it positions the nipple downward in their mouth. I can't explain it as well as the site but it worked. Also making sure they get the while thing in their mouth. And it also said sometimes LO switched their latch because of te new feel of their teeth. At that point unlatch and relatch until its right.

For us the pressing so your nipple is pointing downward and even just two pump sessions to give my nips a break worked very well and we haven't had an issue since
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
  • Options
    LEMSALEMSA member
    No idea but M does it sometimes. Usually when he's tired or not interested in nursing.

I was told when training dogs not to bite/nip, always yell "ouch," dramatically pull your hand away, and make a sad/hurt face. More to get the dog to understand it hurts you. For whatever reason it worked well w my dogs and they don't bite/nip at all.

So I tried it w M. He bit down. I yelped, pulled him off, pouted, said it hurt. Well, apparently he thought it was funny. I think it was more my facial expressions he thought was funny. So another time I did it again-stopped the session, said "ouch!" And had a very stern voice. All imma say is we are still working on it and it works better with puppies.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO bit me this morning. She usually does it at the end of nursing. She caught me by surprise and I yelled ouch and have her a stern NO. Well instead of laughing at me as she usually does, she started to cry. I felt horrible

• Options
    Caz1221Caz1221 member
    @Ashesha13‌, thanks for the tips! I'll have to try repositioning like you described. I think LO doesn't quite know what to do with these 2 new teeth, and it's probably messing up her latch.

@LEMSA‌, totally agree that technique works better with puppies than babies! I'm hoping stopping the nursing session and repositioning will help, kind of like stopping play when a pup nips/mouths and restarting when pup is calm. We'll see!

• Options
    It's something about the top teeth and the way it changes their latch. W my big one, he'd scrape my nips and it hurt so effing bad. He was 12.5mo and I almost quit nursing bc of it. It took a couple weeks, but he adjusted and we kept going.

I found this article on kellymom helpful: https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

For biting, it usually happens when they aren't interested anymore so I just end the session. I tend to re-latch them a bunch so they get as much milk as possible and when they bite, it's always w a smile on their face at the end of a session. So then it's over. Simple as that.

The biting and teeth scraping is a phase around now as they adjust to having teeth in their mouth.

• Options
    Today, after E woke up, we tried to nurse as is our morning routine...she must not have been hungry or interested. She promptly bit BOTH sides. I had switched her thinking she wanted a better flow that the one side offers....I actually feel offended she had no interest in nursing today...plus sore from the bites.

• Options
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
  • Options
    Caz1221Caz1221 member

@Ashesha13 - thanks so much; this is very helpful!

Using these great tips, I think I've corrected LO's latch so that she isn't scraping me with her teeth anymore, but the original spot that she scraped isn't fully healed, so it's still a bit painful when she nurses (and when I pump).  I'm applying lanolin more frequently, and it's improving.  Thanks everyone!

• Options
    Apply coconut oil or BM?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"