Secondary IF

~~~~ GTKY & YK's ~~~~~

Let's talk about causes. What types of causes, charitable organizations, or non profits have you been involved in in the past or are involved in currently? What is it about these causes that caught your attention? How are you involved, is it just by financial contribution, do volunteer time or service?

----------------------

1. What does your kids want to be when he or she grows up? If too young, what do you want him or her to be?
2. Where did this interests come from? Is there a family member who does that already? Or somebody else close to your family?
3. Are you already saving for your kids college? Or do you at least have a plan in place for how they might pay for college?
Happily Mrs. C 
image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
Back on metformin Aug 2013
Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
DS weaned in April 2014
Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!

Re: ~~~~ GTKY & YK's ~~~~~

• I was involved in a bunch of women's organizations in college.  Mostly advocating against domestic violence. I also used to work in a domestic violence shelter. I've done habitat for humanity and my chosen charity is St. Jude's hospital in Memphis.

1. I just want here to be happy, but it would be cool if she were an artist of some sort. We are doing our best to turn her into a nerd :)

2. DH and I are both in art(ish) fields. He is a graphic designer for HGTV and I am a photographer (very part time now that I'm a SAHM)

3. We are definitely saving for college. We have some sort of special account in Iowa or something. My dad actually set it up for her, and it has a much better interest rate than what we were doing.

TTC #2 since 1/1/13

image    imageimage
  • Let's talk about causes. What types of causes, charitable organizations, or non profits have you been involved in in the past or are involved in currently? What is it about these causes that caught your attention? How are you involved, is it just by financial contribution, do volunteer time or service?

Various throughout the years. Junior League, children's funds, new mom's programs etc. I have volunteered time and services as well as financially donated. One I really enjoyed was you assist a new mom (usually with multiples) and just spend 3-4 hours a week with her so she can get out and about (or nap or shower).

----------------------

1. What does your kids want to be when he or she grows up? If too young, what do you want him or her to be? He doesn't know. What I want is for him to be confident, adventurous and self sufficient (pay his own bills - he doesn't have to make much, just as long as he's paying for himself!) So far he's super athletic and seems to enjoy sports though more so individual vs team.

2. Where did this interests come from? Is there a family member who does that already? Or somebody else close to your family? If he turns to athletics, my sister in law is currently training for the next Olympics and hubby is athletic and was a tennis instructor.

3. Are you already saving for your kids college? Or do you at least have a plan in place for how they might pay for college? Yes, we will pay for his college entirely and are saving well for it. I was fortunate enough to leave university debt free and I have too many friends still paying for theirs. If we have concern about his motivation level, he can pay for college himself and on graduation, he'll be reimbursed.
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Loading the player...
  • I posted this this morning, but had to turn our electricity off (we got solar panels and a step of installation happened today) and then it was all wonky all day.  I could read, but couldn't post.  But I seem to be back online now, so I guess it's only fitting that I respond to my own post.  I'm disappointed that we don't have more people wanting to talk about their causes!

As far as causes that I'm interested in, I worked in fundraising for higher ed for a long time before becoming a SAHM and I would have to say I feel really strongly about it.  I think everyone should give to their alma mater, even it is just a little bit, because participation from alumni goes a long way in securing other larger gifts and grants.  So many people say they can't give enough to make a difference or that their $20 a years isn't really needed, but that's just not the case.  Every gift matters and every gift helps.  So, that's a cause I get worked up about!  I also really love the work of the Salvation Army.  It's so much more than just thrift stores!  Those store fund so many programs to help the poor and disenfranchised.  When DH and I were dating, we helped a weekly program for men and women in recovery from addiction.  It's so amazing the life transformations that were happening there.  I also spent a couple summers working for a Salvation Army camp that reached out to kids in need.

1. He doesn't know what he wants to be.  I have no particular hope for him.  I know DH wouldn't mind of we had a pro baseball player on our hands, but I don't know if I'll be dedicated enough in the early years for that to flourish!

2. We have a lot of teachers/educators in the family, so I wouldn't be surprised if that peaks an interest.

3. We make monthly contributions to a mutual fund that we intend to make available for our kids' needs in the future.  My husband and I both graduated debt free and it has opened a lot of doors for us (we bought our house as newlyweds, for one) that a lot of our peers are not privy to.  In my case, my parents paid most, but I paid a lot, too.  In DH's case, he made it on scholarships.  So, I don't want to lock in those funds to specifically education.  
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

start ttc #1 in Jan 2009

Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
  • 1. Charitable causes would be Philabundance a local charity that stocks food banks and aims to end hunger in our area. I have tried so many times to feed the homeless on my own, but the impact did not feel big enough so I still do what I can on my own, but we also strongly support Philabundance. Then Shriner's hospital for children, Doctor's without borders and homes for our troops.
    -----------------------------------------------
    1. Right now he would probably say a firefighter, but he's two. We will support whatever he wants and I don't have ideas on the topic.

3. Yes his 529 plan is growing nicely and we intend to pay for his entire education as long as he is applying himself.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• edited May 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • annibesannibes member
    We mostly donate to St. Jude's, but I also keep my eyes open for opportunities to help with autism research.

DS is 4 but he doesn't have that conversational piece or the understanding to answer a question like that. I don't think he's even aware that he'll grow up and could have a job one day. I hope he's independent enough to have a job that makes him happy. We are saving for college in hopes that he will be able to/want to go. The future is a scary place for me because there are so many unknowns when it comes to DS and how he will function, so I try to focus on the "now" so I can help DS along.
  • I am in involved in Lupus.org since I am a lupus survivor and we are also involved with relay for life because we've been effect so much by cancer. Most recently, the lost if my wonderful friend who battled Leukemia. I also volunteer over the summers with a group called Lunch Bunch. We help feed neighborhood children who wouldn't get a meal most day. All of those are both monetary and volunteer time.

My DD is 7 and wants to be a pop star. That is influenced by a lot of my family being or having been very heavily involved in the performing arts. She also realizes that might not happen and is also interested in being a cosmetologist. We have a small fund started for college. We just want her to do what makes her happy!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• MrsAtchMrsAtch member
    I'm mostly involved in universal access education non-profits. I work with the Mitchell Institute which helps with scholarships and mentoring. I also work with a group called Educate ME (Project>Login) that is trying to increase the number of CS-IT students in Maine, both through high school preparation and college retention. I was a first gen college student and it's something that is really important to me. I'm an active mentor and advocate for education.

Not sure what Q wants to be when she grows up yet. I'd like her to feel successful, but I don't care at all what she does for a living. I work in IT, my DH is former military. I'd like her to stay as far away from the military as possible. We have a college savings plan for her and contribute to it monthly. I worked my butt off to pay my way through college and then pay off student loans. I want her to contribute to her education but I don't want the financial aspect to hold her back from living a full life.
    After two losses, a rainbow arrived! DD born 11.5.11
    Dx with severe Asherman's syndrome after a botched PP D&C (pursuing med mal)
    Hysteroscopy Oct '13, not enough progress 
    Hysteroscopy Jan '14, given an end-of-the-road diagnosis
    Joined International Asherman's Association April '14 
    Not ready to give up yet.
    Hysteroscopy with Dr. Isaacson (an expert in the USA) 6.2.14: Good prognosis, at least 50% of cavity open.
    Repeat hysteroscopy scheduled with Dr. I on 6.16.14. Great progress. Unbenched!!!!
    Discussing actively TTC with DH after the heartache of the last year. We're both reeling.

Please, please, please. 
  • Work at church and with mostly w kids.

Dd wants to be a pirate... Or a we-o we-o (fire engine).
    She has her own personality. It will be interesting to see what she does!
    Yes, saving for her college but slowly. We we're aggressive for a couple years but now trying to conceive sibling we are paying off bills and then will plan accordingly for (hopefully) both kids!!!
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• @momarazzi007, she wants to be a fire engine!  That is super cute!
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

start ttc #1 in Jan 2009

DS weaned in April 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"