June 2014 Moms

Induction-duction, what's your function?

If you have been, or are being, induced, what was the reason? It seems like Pre-E and high BP are what I see on here the most, but I was getting curious as to the reasons for this! As a FTM, I just kind of wanted to see if there was anything else to look out for.

Re: Induction-duction, what's your function?

• I am being induced at 39 weeks due to hypertension. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Emery Elizabeth
    Due Date: June 5, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• MrsBHMMrsBHM member
    I'm scheduled for an elective induction next week at 39 weeks. I've worked in L&D for 7 years & understanding the risks/benefits of an elective induction we decided it was right for us. We're expecting a big boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was induced with my first at 40+6 for being overdue. I will be induced next Wednesday at 40+1, if I make it to then. I have big babies and this is my third, so he didn't see the need in going much past 40 weeks unless I wanted to, which I don't.
  • vv826vv826 member
    Mease8 said:

@ElTrain5 I "loved" your post because I'm in the same boat with my midwifery practice and the thought of being pregnant in July, although with such a late June due date anyways there is a good chance I will be a July Momma regardless. 

^wss
  • I was induced with DD because of lack of amniotic fluid and because she pretty much had stopped moving.

I was right at my due date.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My doctor has talked about inducing at 39 weeks due to baby being large. I would prefer to wait a little while longer since according the the growth scans, she isn't measuring that large. I would prefer to avoid the protocol if possible. Also, 39 weeks is tomorrow and we have nothing on the books and I don't go in until Thursday.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I was induced with C because at 39 weeks my water broke and I wasn't having any contractions on my own.  My hospital has a 24 hour rule from water breaking to birth, so after 6 hours of nothing, they started the pitocin. 

I've been told that if I'm still pregnant at my 39 week appt. this time, they will offer membrane stripping, but that they prefer to wait to induce with meds until after 41 weeks if the baby is still healthy and moving around in there.  Not sure if I'll take them up on the membrane stripping or just wait it out, I go back and forth.  I guess we'll see how I feel at that appt!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• My dr offered an induction at 39 weeks also its all set up for this Monday unless I go on my own before then. Fingers crossed I go on my own.
  • I went in for a regular check with DD1 at 39 wks 6 days it was a Wednesday night and they weren't going to talk induction until Monday morning.That would have put me at 42 weeks 4 days had I needed an induction. Luckily I ended up going into labor at exactly 42 weeks. I'm terrified this will happen again. Although this time my dr says he will induce me at 41 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • With my first baby I was 12 days overdue and showed no signs of going into labor (not dilated at all and no contractions), so I was induced. My next 2 babies were induced at 39 weeks in order to plan for childcare because we have no family near by. Both times I was already dilated, effaced and having lots of contractions so my dr. felt comfortable inducing me. With this baby I am being induced at 39 weeks again to plan for childcare. The possibility of suddenly going into labor and having to find someone to keep 3 kids (all under age 6) for a few days is my worst nightmare!
  • A girl I knew in college went over 42 weeks with both kids. She didn't seem too much in a hurry. Not sure I'm gonna feel the same!!
  • I was diagnosed with choleostasis of pregnancy a few weeks ago, my ob is planning to induce at 38 weeks (first week of June). I'm ok but there is increased risks for fetus to wait
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    I'm being induced Thursday at 39w1d due to my type 1 diabetes.  There's a risk of placental insufficiency and still born babies, so I'd rather deliver baby at full term before that happens.  I'm a FTM and don't feel ready to go at all, so I hope the whole process goes smoothly!

<3

• My dr will induce/deliver by csection if I make it to 39 weeks, due to it being twins. This looks like a very real possibility as I am at 36w+3d and am not dilated or effaced at all, and no contractions. The idea of being this uncomfortable/in this much pain for another 3 weeks is very frustrating.
  • I went in for a regular check with DD1 at 39 wks 6 days it was a Wednesday night and they weren't going to talk induction until Monday morning.That would have put me at 42 weeks 4 days had I needed an induction. Luckily I ended up going into labor at exactly 42 weeks. I'm terrified this will happen again. Although this time my dr says he will induce me at 41 weeks.
    @Katieluc106 I also went into labor at exactly 42 weeks and thus avoided my scheduled induction. I'm also not holding my breath that this baby will arrive punctually but I am hoping that s/he will come a littler sooner than their big sister.
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Pepper6Pepper6 member
    I'm really hoping I don't go past my due date (neither my mom nor my sisters have gone past their due dates with any of their kids, so hopefully I'll be the same), but if I do, I plan to request an induction at 41 weeks.
  • maggiexxxmaggiexxx member
    edited May 2014
    I'm being induced tomo at 39w6d so just a day shy of 40 weeks. My original edd was June 2nd before Dr changed it at 20w, so I still feel comfortable doing it tomo. This is my 3rd baby and my first induction since last two babies came on their own 10 days early. I'm still scared and would rather much had her come one her own.
    BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was induced the first time around because of high BP. I just got word today that I may be induced next week because baby boy is measuring big and I have gestational diabetes. It's not for sure yet, I'll find out next Tuesday!

Anniversary

• Our hospital induces twins at 38 weeks, the strain is too much in mom and babies usually by that point. If all is well they would let you go a little longer I'm sure.

With the pre E I have going on I'll be induced sooner rather than later :( we're on a day by day basis as it is.

• I won't be induced unless I make it to 42 weeks. I asked to be induced last time at 41w2d and while everything went smoothly, I would never choose it again. I'll probably have a July baby.
  • megzepmegzep member
    edited May 2014
    I'm being induced Monday due to the baby measuring small. :/ just hoping the baby is ok.

Edit to add I'll be exactly 39 weeks
    Pregnancy Ticker

• jldcjsjldcjs member
    I'm being induced at 37w 2d due to IUGR. I'm petrified!

@krptcmschfmkr128 When were you induced with your first? My issue sounds similar to yours. 
  • One reason that I see that no one has mentioned yet is if you have abnormally high amniotic fluid levels. This is usually caused by gestational diabetes, but sometimes it just happens. It doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the baby, but my hospital's policy is to induce if the mother is past 37w and the fluid level reaches 25.
  • I too am being induced for IUGR at 38 weeks at the latest... I go to the doctor just about every day between now and then (june 10th) for NSTs and ultrasounds so they can keep a close eye on her. I'm also petrified!!
  • knirish1 said:
    One reason that I see that no one has mentioned yet is if you have abnormally high amniotic fluid levels. This is usually caused by gestational diabetes, but sometimes it just happens. It doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the baby, but my hospital's policy is to induce if the mother is past 37w and the fluid level reaches 25.
    I don't have gd but rather higher levels of fluid and our hospital policy is the same. I am not over 25 yet so we are ok but they won't let you go past 41 weeks either.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm being induced on Friday which puts me at 39w 0d. Reason is gestational hypertension and bc this boy looks like a big one! At 36 weeks he measured 7lb 3oz and 38weeks (which is about where I measured when I was born at 36 weeks).

June '14 MaySiggy Challenge: Favorite TV mom 
  • jldcjsjldcjs member
    I too am being induced for IUGR at 38 weeks at the latest... I go to the doctor just about every day between now and then (june 10th) for NSTs and ultrasounds so they can keep a close eye on her. I'm also petrified!!
    Ashley&Jayson29  Oh good, I'm glad to hear your doctor has the same recommendations. My doctor said 37 then today said that maybe we could go to 38. I don't know which I should do! My baby's NST and dopplers have been looking good lately so I think size is really the only problem which makes me think maybe I should wait? 

@krptcmschfmkr128  If you had to do it again, would you prefer to be induced earlier or would you have waited to go into labor on your own?

• I will be induced between 39 and 40 weeks. I have polyhydroamnios and baby is big. They will not let me go past my due date. We will decide what's best on Thursday. I'm terrified to be induced so I'm really hoping my water will break. We were reading old wives tales at work (there are some crazy ones!) and came across one that said to jump off the second stair. I decided to give it a try (my job is super boring!) but it didn't work. ;)
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • laramtlaramt member
    I'm being induced on Sunday night at 39 weeks due to high fluid levels and excessive swelling. Baby is also measuring pretty big.
  • I was Induced with my first due to extremely low fluid. Apparently I had a slow leak. I was within 3 days of my due date. Took three days to have him.
  • I'm being induced next week at 37 weeks due to low fluid and high blood pressure and I'm freaking out.
  • I was induced at 37 weeks due to decreased fetal movement and decreasing fluid. Decreased fetal movement turned out to be a cord issue (wrapped around his shoulder) so I was very thankful.
  • ElTrain5 said:

As long as mom and baby are healthy and passing all their tests, my midwives don't induce until 42 weeks.  The idea that I could hypothetically be pregnant until July is terrifying.

This is the policy with my midwifes as well... That potentially puts me almost mid July

:-O
    MET: 12/31/06 ENGAGED: 5/23/11 MARRIED: 11/11/11 DD DOB: 6/6/14
    image image image
  • My inductions have been by way of my water being broken. DD#1 was at 41w and I went to the hospital to be induced. Once I got there, we realized I was in early labor, so we bypassed meds and did AROM instead.

DD#2 was 4 days overdue, and we did AROM to bring my contractions closer together and get labor in a good pattern.

Isaiah's labor was put into action by AROM, after going in for a potential c-section and finding my cervix to be favorable for a VBAC attempt.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm just scared about the whole giving birth thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"