C-sections

C-section hospital packing list

I am having another c-section this coming August and I never had to pack for a CS with my last pregnancy because it wasn't planned. So this time I wanna make sure I have what I need....not over pack.... So can anyone help me either add or subtract to the list I have so far? Tell me what you think is and isn't a necessity! Here's what I have so far:
For me:
-slip on slippers
- dark colored Sweatpants and robe/hoodie or jacket
- PJs
-high rise cotton underware you can part with
-bras
-outfits...2-4
-flip flops....a size bigger in case of swollen feet
-make up/brush to make you feel pretty for pics and visitors
-purse/I.D./insurance card
- folder for any paperwork given to you
- birth plan/hospital registration form
- extra duffle bag for taking home gifts
-plastic shopping bags for dirty clothes
-pads/Depends under ware/bra pads for leaking nipples/flushable toilet wipes (gentler on you)
-toiletries (travel size shampoo, soap/body wash, toothpaste, deodorant, body spray, shaving cream, razor, toothbrush, face cleanser, make up removing wipes, spray in detangler, no wash shampoo for if you can't wash your hair)
-cell phone/charger, camera, extra batteries, IPAD or any entertainment source
- change for vending machine/cafeteria
- thank yous for any nurses, drs, hospital staff that were really helpful/good to you and baby( a little box if chocolates, thank you cards, etc)
-snacks/gum/drinks
-baby book to get their footprints done in or to log stuff when you have down time
-pillows/blanket/towels in color...not white

Dad/partner:
-2 to 4 outfits
- PJs
- toiletries ( razor, shaving cream, toothbrush, cologne, etc.)
- flip flops for running out into the hallways real fast
- camera, cell phone/charger
- money/I.D./ wallet w/ insurance card just in case
- extra blanket or pillow (no white colored) since he won't have a good bed
- entertainment (magazines, books, etc)
-Hoodie/sweatshirt/jacket

Baby:
- Boppy for feedings/laying baby on your bed
- spit cloths
-receiving blankets/heavy blanket for cool hospitals
-sleep sack
-onesies/outfits in newborn and 0-3 months(dk how big they'll be), Little Sister onesiebooties/socks, outfit for going home and one for hospital pics
- pacifier If you don't like the hospital one
- pic of her brother and parents for her crib
-gift to her from big brother/gift for big brother from her
-womb bear
-Desitin/diaper rash cream
-no scratch mittens
-hats/headbands/hair bows
- pack "Big Brother" shirt for my DS
-diaper bag to keep all this in! Lol

* I'm also adding that I recommend getting a pedicure prior to going into the hospital....personal preference. And I will shave my legs,armpits, everything prior to going in surgery since you do when's the next time you'll be able to! Please lete know if I'm forgetting anything!

Re: C-section hospital packing list

• Fantastic list! I loaded up on Soma loungewear. I liked that it was so soft and didn't rub against tender post-Csec parts.
    D (34), J (37) and T3 (ages 2, 2 and brand new)
    Nov '10: IVF#1: BFP! Girl. Missed m/c at 14 weeks. Devastated
    Apr '11: IVF#2: BFP! Twin Girls born on Dec 3, 2011 at 31w5d! One month in NICU.
    Oct '13: IVF#3: BFP! Girl born Jun 19, 2014 at 38w3d!
  • Love this list, very comprehensive but also overwhelming... :P i def was not so well prepared the first time around even though my cs was planned. Just a logistics question. What kind of bag do you guys pack into?? This seems like a lot of stuff, so a big duffel bag? Or small suitcase? Just wondering, NOT trying to be snarky or anything at all! I promise.
  • Loading the player...
  • Make sure your outfits are comprised of bottoms that won't hit right on your incision.  Roll over yoga pants are a great option because you can roll the band up over your incision or down below it.

Also, if your hospital provides mesh underwear, wear them and stock up on a few extra pairs for home.  They are very stretchy and comfortable and don't irritate your incision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A friend of mine just had her 2nd C section last one 8 yrs ago. She said a must have are Depends she said they are so much easier to deal w than undies and kotex.  

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I never used depends with either of my girls. I swear by the pp undies that motherhood sells. They hold everything in place and go up really high. I also wore dresses for the first few weeks. That way nothing rubbed on my incision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mysticlmysticl member
    It's unethical for doctors and nurses to accept gifts from you.  Just stick to notes if you really feel the need to give them anything.  

I personally would leave most of that stuff for the baby at home.  We only took the going home outfit and two blankets (one matched the outfit, one was to send home to the dogs to get his scent) with us and I felt no need for anything else.  We used the gowns and blankets provided by the hospital.  

Actually, I leave most that stuff at home period.  

• Wow! Awesome list! I don't remember being awake during down time, so I probably won't need anything for my entertainment. I will want that, for my husband, though. I stayed in the hospital's gowns most of the time, so I really only needed one change of clothes. I wore scrubs pants most of the time post-surgery, so I've already bought two pairs and have them in my bag. I have a bag that's about the largest carry-on that you could take on a flight. I know because I measured it and used it as one.
  • ashaw512 ashaw512 member
    edited May 2014
    I'm stealing your list for me own ;) I'm having another CS too, my first one wasn't planned. I'm so nervous BC I really don't know what to expect since I have to plan for it. This is a great list, I've never considered depends but I think I might. I'm also packing a post c-section wrap.
  • Forgot about bringing the boppy to the hospital! I def recommend that and will be bringing mine tomorrow. Also - my doc and hospital is VERY specific NOT to shave your incision area before surgery. Reason is, you have more risk of infection due to the minuscule tears that the razor creates in your skin. Seems weird not to shave but I have heard too many infection stories so I am not. GL!
  • mysticlmysticl member
    Forgot about bringing the boppy to the hospital! I def recommend that and will be bringing mine tomorrow. Also - my doc and hospital is VERY specific NOT to shave your incision area before surgery. Reason is, you have more risk of infection due to the minuscule tears that the razor creates in your skin. Seems weird not to shave but I have heard too many infection stories so I am not. GL!
    If they need the area shaved they will do it themselves.  I felt that part (the vibrations) but didn't feel the pulling and tugging during the actual surgery that they said I would feel.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"