Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Reflux baby logistics?

I am really struggling to find places to put DS (3 weeks old) after eating. It is hard enough to find time to nurse him with a toddler in the house, but sitting for another 30 minutes with him upright is almost impossible. The bouncy seat, mamaroo, and car seat all make him gag or spit up. I have a couple of carriers, so that's definitely our first choice right now, but he usually falls right asleep, and I feel like he needs a place to be able to observe the world a bit. Am I missing any options? This kid seems to be able to reflux while completely upright...

Re: Reflux baby logistics?

• I had/have the same problem with DD. She just spits up wherever she is, even if she's being held in an upright position. DS was the same. 

I found the best place to be the swing (in your case, the Mamaroo) and to just put a receiving blanket behind his head/back so that it would absorb any spit up. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• vszappvszapp member
    I had/have the same problem with DD. She just spits up wherever she is, even if she's being held in an upright position. DS was the same. 

I found the best place to be the swing (in your case, the Mamaroo) and to just put a receiving blanket behind his head/back so that it would absorb any spit up. 
    I wish this was an option, but he's in so much pain after he spits us that we have to prevent it from happening. The mamaroo makes him slouch so much, just like the car seat and bouncy. 

• Loading the player...
  • Do you have a rock and play? My sister said she wishes she had one with all her kids after having it for her last one. He had bad reflux and she ended up sitting him in there after and the slanted seat really helped him. He also sleeps in it. I ended up buying one for my LO and she sleeps so much better in it than anything else. We haven't really used it to play in but it's called a rock and play so I'm sure it would be could for that.

• vszappvszapp member
    Hbird05 said:

Do you have a rock and play? My sister said she wishes she had one with all her kids after having it for her last one. He had bad reflux and she ended up sitting him in there after and the slanted seat really helped him. He also sleeps in it. I ended up buying one for my LO and she sleeps so much better in it than anything else. We haven't really used it to play in but it's called a rock and play so I'm sure it would be could for that.

We do have a RNP and he sleeps there at night. I'm paranoid about the flat head issue so I have been trying to find something else for him. Today DH wedged him into the bouncy seat on his side and he seems happy like that. Not sure how safe it is, but if we keep an eye on him it seems to at least work for naps. Does anyone know if there's an insert for the mamaroo to make it less bowl-shaped? We borrowed it from a friend so I don't know much about it.

• Is he taking any reflux meds? DS did for months and DD does too. She still spits up, but it doesn't hurt at least. 

Just saw someone suggested the Bumbo; I will say that for us, it is the WORST place to put DD (same with DS when he was a baby). They instantly spit up and it was just fountains and fountains of spit up.

• vszappvszapp member
    edited May 2014

Is he taking any reflux meds? DS did for months and DD does too. She still spits up, but it doesn't hurt at least. 

Just saw someone suggested the Bumbo; I will say that for us, it is the WORST place to put DD (same with DS when he was a baby). They instantly spit up and it was just fountains and fountains of spit up.
    Nope, no meds yet as it really has just started to hurt him in the past few days. Still trying to figure out of its due to dairy intolerance or my oversupply, and whether fixing those would help him. I hear you on the bumbo - it was awful for DD.

• vszapp said:
    Is he taking any reflux meds? DS did for months and DD does too. She still spits up, but it doesn't hurt at least. 

Nope, no meds yet as it really has just started to hurt him in the past few days. Still trying to figure out of its due to dairy intolerance or my oversupply, and whether fixing those would help him. I hear you on the bumbo - it was awful for DD.
    Sounds like we're in a similar situation. DD has been on reflux meds since she was 1m old and I've been dairy free since mid-March. There isn't one thing alone that has made a HUGE difference, but they are both definitely helping. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"