Working Moms

When do you find time?

When do you find time to workout? I work 12 hours shifts and on my days
off I feel like i'm struggling to get everything done that needs to be as well
as spending time with my kids. When it's bed time for them I usually worn out!

Any suggestions or what works for you?

Re: When do you find time?

• I don't right now, LOL. But I also have a three month old and exhausted so if I have to choose between working out right now and sleep...sleep wins. Once she is sleeping through the night (my son did at 6 months) and I feel like a human, I will either get up early like 5:30am, do it late (after 7:30pm) or try to do something with the kids (jogging stroller, etc). I don't always get it every day but try to do it at least 3-5 times a week. Videos at home are easy too.
  • I mobile bump - but looking at your picture and name, am I right in assuming you have twins? How old are they? I have triplets and for me it took a good 6 month of going back to work to get the 'work and family' balance down packed. I am finally trying the 'find' time. I find that right now weekends are my guaranteed run days. DH stays home while the LOs are napping. It is hard but you have to find the time that works best for you and than try to 'automate' as much of the other things as possible to find extra time. At first I only had 20 minutes tops but that is better than nothing. As they get older it will get easier. GL
  • Loading the player...
  • Lol I'm the same way, if it comes down to sleep or working out- sleep wins.  I guess I need to just make it a priority and shoot for a few days a week. I guess that's better than nothing :)
  • The other thing you could do if just find small sections of time. Say 10 minutes in the morning before you shower - get on a stationary bike (if you have one) or put your bike on a trainer. In the evening do another 10-15 either run or a solo walk. But when you add those 2 together you did 20-25 minutes which is fantastic and having them in small snippets doesn't seem as daunting to 'find' the time - if you know what I mean.
  • Wow I can't even imagine with triplets! How old are they? My twins are almost 20months.  That's a good point about trying to find small sections of time.  The bad thing is I usually just want to sit down and do nothing when they are napping or someone else is watching them.  I need to make the time though!  
  • I have twins also that will be 23 months next month. I went back to work when they were 13 months old. The first year I was too exhausted. This year there isn't time till they go down, but after I'm cleaning up supper and packing a daycare bag, shower and collapse! I get jealous of the girls at work who workout but I've tried not to be hard on myself because I've got two babies they don't. As a teacher I really plan on working out this summer. I miss it.
  • During the work week I go to the gym for 30 minutes 2-3 times a week right after work (I teach and can leave at 3:30 so it works out that I can do that).  I've been home on maternity leave since April 1 and will stay home until august; during this time I've been doing 20 minute Jillian Michaels videos during nap time, taking the kids on 2 walks a day, and then doing short bursts og jumping jacks/squats/pushups/planks/etc during bath times.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My triplets are 21 month old so not much bigger than your LOs. It takes 21 days to form a habit, so like others are suggesting, you just have to push yourself past the 'I am exhausted and don't want to do it'. Just give yourself a break - tell yourself it will only be 10 mins. If you're feeling good keep going, if not stop and try again the next day. You can only do so much and only have so much energy.
  • Frankly, I shifted my idea of what working out means. I don't do traditional exercise. I exercise with my toddler. Mommy and me yoga is great. I lift her on my legs (25 lb weight for leg lifts is great), I run up and down the stairs with her, crawl after her, run and chase. I also do all the crap you read that you should do, like take the stairs instead of the elevator, park far away from the office, and walk everywhere I can. It works for me. 3 weeks after having #2, I'm back below pre-pregnancy weight. Granted, I gained 20 lbs and only had 6 to lose after giving birth, but a huge reason for that was exercising with my toddler during pregnancy.
  • I workout first thing in the morning Sat and Sundays, those are my long workouts, usually a 3 mile run and 30 min of kettle balls, weights, abs....during the week I push for 2x a week, usually lunch hour at my work gym and one other time yoga while kids are sleeping. Yes, I get little time to relax, but I don't feel good unless I exercise.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I appreciate all the comments, It's nice knowing that I'm not the only working mom that struggles with finding/making time to exercise. I'm hoping now that the weather is nicer we can go on more walks.  

Also, how do do you tag someone in the post? 
  • I don't.  Once we are home, I just want to spend some quality time with DD.  Once she's in bed, I have chores and stuff to do to get ready for the next day.  Does walking the dog count?  The only time that would probably work is right after work before I pick up DD but I'm just not ok with picking her up later and getting LESS time with her.

Can't do mornings either.  DD wakes up at 5AM.  I can usually get her to go back to sleep for another hour but not unless I bring her into my bed and lay down with her. 

I used to do the jogging stroller with her but now that she is older she has no interest in the stroller and will not sit it in.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ebp913ebp913 member
    I walk for exercise with the kids in the stroller. I'd like to start jogging post baby as well.  I love the idea of going to the gym but I just know for us right now, that's not a possibility.  So I do what I can which is to walk with the kids.  I could probably swing a once a week class or something too but I don't right now.  I also like to do a quick 5-10 min weight workout at home.  It's not a lot but it's better than nothing! 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • @PrivacyWanted, how do you keep DS from falling asleep in the stroller in the afternoons when you run after work? I took DD for a walk after work today (around 6:00), and she napped for about 20 minutes. I'm dreading bedtime because she is always up late if she naps after 3:00. I'm so frustrated because DH works nights and literally the only time I have to exercise (besides the weekend) is if I take DD with me in the evening after work. I work 30 miles from work and have to take the freeway, so biking isn't an option. I walk on my lunch break in the fall/winter/spring, but right now,  it's too hot to walk at lunch without taking a shower (90 degrees and will only keep getting hotter). Ugh! Sorry this turned into a rant. I just miss exercising but don't want to sacrifice DD's sleep either!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • @Myaflowers‌ it depends on the time of year. Right now it's still sunny and the kids get a snack that keeps their attention long enough not to sleep. In the winter I actually run a little closer to bed time and if they pass out I'm able to transfer them to their bed
    Snack...brilliant!! Why didn't I think of that?? Thanks for the idea! :)
  • I work out as soon as I put her to bed.  I have a list of things to do - I put her to bed, do the dishes, work out, pick up real quick, and then I get an hour or so of "me" relaxing time or time with MY before going to sleep myself at 11. I have no idea when else I would work out - I am NOT someone who can wake up early and do it.  I always do workout videos - Jillian Michaels and P90X3 are my favorite right now - just 30 minutes - and I can do it whether MH is home or not since I don't have to go anywhere.  I just finished P90X3 and when doing it I worked out 6x a week, but right now my goal is 4x a week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work out as soon as I put her to bed.  I have a list of things to do - I put her to bed, do the dishes, work out, pick up real quick, and then I get an hour or so of "me" relaxing time or time with MY before going to sleep myself at 11. I have no idea when else I would work out - I am NOT someone who can wake up early and do it.  I always do workout videos - Jillian Michaels and P90X3 are my favorite right now - just 30 minutes - and I can do it whether MH is home or not since I don't have to go anywhere.  I just finished P90X3 and when doing it I worked out 6x a week, but right now my goal is 4x a week.
    A workout video is a good idea, too. DD goes to bed late (sleeps from 10:00 pm to 11:00 am, works for us because DH works at night and is home with her during the day. I'd probably be better off getting up early before work to exercise because I probably wouldn't be able to fall asleep if I worked out at 10:00 pm. Getting up at 5:30 to exercise would be awful but I think I could do it if I can find something I can do. I'm also dealing with back problems (had surgery 3 years ago) and am supposed to avoid anything high impact. I think that makes it harder for me to stay motivated... I'm a runner at heart and am not supposed to run anymore. :(
  • The chance of me going to a gym is zero at this point. I'm not going to put them into daycare more than I have to. I am working on making the 7 minute workout part of my morning routine. At least I know I did something every day. And it is 7 minutes, one hit of the snooze button.

I also love kettlebells. I can get a good workout in my living room a few times a week. Pair that with a few walks a week and playing chase with the kiddos. I do try and sneak some things in when playing with the kids without being obnoxious about it. A few pushups/squats/sprints when we are out in the yard.

I really focus on my diet, which is easier for me to control. I'm down 80 lbs from my heaviest when pregnant and I've kept it off for a year now.

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Waking up before my DD does is the only time I have to work out. Either that or during a naptime if DH is home so I can make it to the gym.

I've also done workouts with her or on the floor where she is playing. For some reason she finds my push ups hiliarous. Perhaps she is critiquing my form?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• @dashofreality‌ : Good for you! DH lost 130 lbs and has kept almost all of it off for over 5 years. That's such a great accomplishment! I've heard if you keep it off a year, you are more likely to keep it off permanently. So big time kudos from somebody who has seen that journey and is in awe.
  • I work out during my lunch break, which is great. Luckily, we have a gym at work which I can run over to for about 40 minutes. I prefer to run, so I will do that, weather permitting, and then just use the showers. 
  • @mommyatty Thank you! 130 is a huge accomplishment! 9 of mine was baby at least :D

With BFing my ridiculous amount of pregnancy weight (50lbs) was pretty easy to get off each time, but I'm down 30 lbs from where I've been sitting for 10 years. That was a big accomplishment for me. The final 10 is a killer though...

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"