High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Congenital Heart Problems and Pregnancy

Ashlynn92089Ashlynn92089 member
edited May 2014 in High-Risk Pregnancy
Hello,

New here. I was born with pulmonary stenosis (narrowing of the pulmonary valve) and had two heart surgeries at 6 months old. I never even considered that pregnancy would be an issue until getting married and beginning to talk to my OBGYN about TTC. I went to my cardiologist in April and he said that pregnancy would be a "reasonable thing" and that "if I was a member of his family" he would say it was fine. Of course, he had to throw in that nothing is 100% though and I would definitely be in the high risk category. I'm very anxious about my health and nervous to get pregnant. Anyone have experience with pregnancy and heart conditions?

Re: Congenital Heart Problems and Pregnancy

• Options
    jg1011jg1011 member
    I too have a heart condition, but different than yours. It could and did pose problems...but nothing insurmountable. I was very closly monitored by OB and MFM team who worked closely with my cardio docs. I was not permitted to deliver naturally. I was scheduled as a c-section early to be sure. Never even sent into labor. They were very cautious with anesthesia chosen for me as well. I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby boy and and now pregnant with my 2nd. All going well so far!
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for replying! Were any of you on bed rest? One dr said possible c-section. Another said that a c-section is worse because it poses more blood loss. :/ I guess I'll have to wait and see!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Way late to this but I was just lurking on boards and am not a member or the high risk community.  However I was born with Pulmonary Atresia (so no pulmonary valve at all).  I had my third surgery about 6 years ago to get a replacement valve.  I've done very well and am on baby number 2 with no high risk concerns and no issue with delivery.  I've kept my cardiologist in the loop and had a visit in pregnancy 1 at around 20 weeks but haven't this time since I'm doing well.  A CHD, particualalry our does not automatically equal a high risk pregnancy.  
    I did have a c-section but that was after she got stuck during pushing.  Feel free to PM me if you want to chat, there aren't a lot of us out there and even fewer who have had babies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    oh my gosh! I know I'm a little late on this so I don't know if you're still TTC or preggo now but I have pulmonary stinosis as well & have never met anyone with it before. We just started TTC. I'm so glad you're having the same concerns as me. I'm going to PM you! :)
  • Options
    I know I'm late to this, but if anyone is out there id love to connect. I'm 10 weeks pregnant with my first. I was born with transposition of the great arteries, pulmonary atresia, and ventricular septal defect. My doctors have said I should handle pregnancy fine and that vaginal delivery is safer for me than c section. I'm still veryyy anxious. For pregnancy, delivery, and even the aftermath.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"