January 2013 Moms
Options

Airplane ideas? (just 1.5 hours)

I haven't flown with DD since she has been walking. It's not a long flight, just CA to OR.  I'm planning to sit in the aisle, if possible, and I'll bring some books/toys/snacks.  Just wondering if anyone has any experiences or tips to share!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Airplane ideas? (just 1.5 hours)

• Options
    No tips here, I will be watching this post since I will be taking a 2 hr flight in 2 weeks with my DD. The last time she was on a plane she was 5 months and it was only an hour flight. I plan on bringing my iPad with her favorite Sesame Street episode.

• Options
    We recently took DD on a 1.5 hour flight. She hadn't been on a plane in almost a year, so we were really worried because she does NOT like to sit still or be held for too long. But she actually did fantastic. Our iPad was a lifesaver! She watched a few of her shows on the way there and then a movie on the way home. (And thank goodness you can keep electronics on during takeoff/landing now!). I found some children's headphones at Target that worked well for her (even though she's below the recommended age for them).

I also brought some fruit snacks for her to eat during takeoff/landing to help her deal with the change in pressure. It didn't seem to bother her at all.

DD also LOVED looking out the window. At one point I'm pretty sure the entire plane heard her yell out "OH WOW!" when we were flying over some clouds!

Honestly, I think the waiting at the airport part was worse for us than the flight. But mostly because DD wanted to wander around everywhere and touch everything and we wouldn't let her.

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We brought snacks, books, coloring stuff, magna doodle (a hit), and a dvd player (also a hit).
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Usually DD is a pretty easy flyer but our most recent flight was dreadful. She cried the whole way home except the last 15 minutes when a little boy near us woke up. Then she just kept pointing and shouting "bida, bida" ["baby, baby"] but I think she was hungry. I wish I had brought some more greek yogurt pouches she really likes those. 
  • Options
    I definitely second the snacks and ipad/dvd player! DD also loves reading (ripping up) the inflight magazine and putting things in the barf bag.

• Options
    jobiannjobiann member
    We are flying for the first time in June, only a 1 hour 50 minute flight but our plan is to take the iPad with some Paw Patrole and Bubble Guppies on it, we bought these kid friend headphones from Amazon and just started to let DS wear them to start getting used to them...

We are taking some new fun toys and other items I'm going to pick up from the dollar store and I plan to pack lots of snacks!! There are 8 of us flying, so he'll have plenty of laps to bounce around too. And we don't have to worry about pressure changes since he has tubes.

I'll be sure to write up a full account when we return home.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    We flew with DS when he was around 14 months and like PP said, we just kept him entertained with my ipad, snacks and then I bought a small/preschool size back pack off amazon and filled it with smaller cheap things----small magna doodle, cars, post-it notes, stickers, small pad of paper and crayons and two new books. It kept him quite entertained. And he LOVED looking out the window at take off and landing. Plus, I was surprised that he slept a ton on the plane too. I think it is the white noise. 

We waited until almost all passengers boarded before we got on. That way it was less time on the plane. I tried to just let him walk around (without touching a ton) and we watched the planes pull up and such through the window. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!  I'm generally trying to do no screen time before 2 years old...but I'm thinking of bringing our iPad and making that a special treat she gets to play with when we travel based on what you guys are saying!  It would come in handy for longer car trips, too.  And I'll defintely go get some of the yogurt melty things or other snacks like that.
  • Options
    I checked some new books out from the library to bring. Luckily, DS was entertained with books for prolonged periods in the last flight (14 mos). 

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options
    Thanks for the tips!  I'm generally trying to do no screen time before 2 years old...but I'm thinking of bringing our iPad and making that a special treat she gets to play with when we travel based on what you guys are saying!  It would come in handy for longer car trips, too.  And I'll defintely go get some of the yogurt melty things or other snacks like that.

DD only gets screen time during travel for everyone's sanity! We recently made the move from so cal to the Bay Area which included many car trips while looking for our home etc. this was the only thing that kept all of us happy in the car!

• Options
    Just a heads up if your DD doesn't often get screen time she may be over stimulated with videos on your Ipad. We flew when my DD was 13 months and I tried showing her a video on our tablet and she freaked out and kept trying to throw it away. She could not handle it at all. She may be better now that she is older though.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• Options
    We've never had DD use the iPad while flying, we haven't downloaded anything appropriate for her. I actually meant to get a game for last time but totally spaced until it was too late. We're flying again in June and it'll be a longer flight so I'm planning to be more prepared with games and maybe some shows. She likes interactive stuff though so I don't really know that a TV show would entertain her, I'm afraid like @SunshineShades DD will freak so I wouldn't rely too heavily on that. Definitely go with snacks! A hungry, cranky baby is tough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"