High-Risk Pregnancy

NT Scan Results

So i was told I was "positive" for Down Syndrome Risk  from NT scan.

A normal person my age (41) is 1:53 and I came out as 1:45
neck measurement was fine, no noteable nasal bone at 12 weeks, and some protein level was high.

I did have a vanishing twin..well, sac is still there, but never developed.

Thoughts?

I am pretty sure I will not want to due Amnio or CVS due to risk. Is there any other tests I should be requesting?

Anyone else have anything like this and it turn out okay?

Scared...
===siggy warning====
Me: 40, DH: 42
Diagnosis: PCOS
TTC: May 2013
TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
Due Date November 27, 2014
TEAM BLUE

Re: NT Scan Results

• I am so sorry to hear of your heart-stopping result. I know I held my breath when the doctor came in to give me my results. I can only imagine what you are going through. I pray all will be well with your little one, as well as yourself and partner.

I don't have any advice to give, but I did have a question that stuck with me from my doctor. When given the option of doing the Amnio, she asked my husband and I the following question: "What would be worse for you? 1. Doing an amnio, finding out the baby was 'normal' and then losing the pregnancy due to the risk? or 2. Not doing the Amnio, delivering and finding out the baby has something that could have been diagnosed early on?" It's a cold and blunt question, but it forces you to look at your personal views and your own life experience. My OB said that if you look to the future or your present situation and you just cannot see yourself raising a special needs child, then you may want to consider the Amnio, despite the risks. It's a choice you have to make...I will pray for you as you make it.

• We did the maternity 21 test, that can give you a better picture. There is no risk with that test, it is a blood draw where they look for DNA.

Sorry to hear about the scary results. :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Wally3Wally3 member
    My ds2 came back very high odds after the NT scan and had other soft markers. For me I didn't want to risk doing an amino so we did the Maternti-21 test.  It was more experimental then. I talk to the MFM about and decided the results would be accurate.  So I did it and it came back negative - which was a great relief.  I would recommend the test, it will allow you know without the risk.  All other test besides amino or (I forget the other but it has risk of miscarriage too) are screenings and going to give you a risk factor - which isn't really that helpful. Or wasn't to me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone. I plan on asking for that test on tuesday. Any suggestions on questions I should also ask?

I also had a "vanishing twin" whose sac is still there. I pray that the results may be skewed because of that, as well
    ===siggy warning====
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    TEAM BLUE

• I'm sorry you're going through this! I had a 1/5 chance of having a baby with a chromosomal disorder as my NT measurement was 4.0. Out of panic caused by the genetic counselor meeting, I opted for the CVS. The risk of miscarriage was minimal enough for me to take the chance and get results in 2 days. I had it done transvaginally and it was a very easy procedure. Your odds are actually really good so I'm sure your baby will be healthy and happy :) I know how stressful this can be so hang in there!
  • I got the bad news today from my NT test. I have my blood tests Thursday. Good luck.
  • I got the bad news today from my NT test. I have my blood tests Thursday. Good luck.
    What kinda news did you get? Good Luck to you, too! 
    ===siggy warning====
    TEAM BLUE

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"