Baby Showers

What flower seeds to plant for shower favors? Help!

We are planting seeds in baby food jars for our shower favors.  Question is - what seeds can I plant now that'll show nice growth by mid-July?  Can you recommend any good flower/herbs to consider?
Thanks for your help!

Re: What flower seeds to plant for shower favors? Help!

• While the idea sounds cute, I'd most likely leave mine behind. That's not very helpful, I know. Sorry.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 - 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12
    BFP #2 - 4/5/2012 - Son Born 12/12/12
    BFP #3 - 2/2/2014 - EDD 10/16/2014
  • While the idea sounds cute, I'd most likely leave mine behind. That's not very helpful, I know. Sorry.
    This. I prefer edible favours, like cookies. Mmm. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I appreciate the honesty, really.  Kind of ironic actually because this was DH's choice for favor.  He's since acquired several, let's say about 75, baby food jars for this purpose.  Any ideas on anything we can do with the baby food jars instead?  Honey as a favor in the jar?
  • The tough part with baby food jars is that they're not terribly big. If they were the size of, say, mason jars, you could add a plant and use it as a centerpiece. Maybe little candies or mints? I'd definitely eat that. I've seen jam as favors, though that seems like a lot of work to make jam.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Yeah I have to agree with others.  I might take the plant to be polite, but it would probably go in the trash when I got home.  
  • You could put those almond things in them. I can't think of what they are called right now. People often use them for weddings. They have a special name. Help anyone??
  • You could put those almond things in them. I can't think of what they are called right now. People often use them for weddings. They have a special name. Help anyone??
    Jordan Almonds
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • ^ yes, those!
  • Ok, how about playing off of the "sugar and spice" rhyme, and filling jars with sugar and spice combo with recipe attached?  Or, since we're going with an evening, non-traditional, backyard party for the shower, a bbq spice rub?  
    Thanks again for the feedback - tough crowd, lol.
  • And apparently what's not frowned upon is negative and demeaning conversation.  Thanks for confirming my belief that asking for opinions on this site was less than worthwhile.

• lmchurley said:
    And apparently what's not frowned upon is negative and demeaning conversation.  Thanks for confirming my belief that asking for opinions on this site was less than worthwhile.

Glad we did not disappoint. 

I'm going to pretend for a second you are not hosting your own gift giving event and are instead a friend throwing a shower.  Here's why I would strongly argue against this idea: 1) how are the guests going to get this home without it spilling in their car 2) what are they going to do with it when it outgrows the jar and starts tipping over 3) how are they going to keep the plant from rotting when it inevitably gets over watered since we are talking about an extremely small container with no holes at the bottom?

• Personally I don't frown upon anyone that throws their own baby shower...I wouldn't do it but to each their own.  As far as the seeds in the jar as a favor, I agree with others that I would probably just throw mine in the trash.  I think you are better off just filling them with candy like others mentioned.  
    Nov '14 June Siggy Challenge--Dream Vacation
    Bora Bora

TTC since 3/2009 PCOS, Hypothyroid, both Fallopian tubes blocked *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 
    Treatment IVF Cycle #1 (12/2013) ... BFN :-(

IVF Cycle #2 (2/2014) 
    2/21/14 ER..2/24/14 ET - 3 Grade 8 embryos transferred 
    6dp3dt very faint BFP!!  - it's TWINS!!! EDD 11/14/14
     *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • yess0311 said:
    Personally I don't frown upon anyone that throws their own baby shower...I wouldn't do it but to each their own.  As far as the seeds in the jar as a favor, I agree with others that I would probably just throw mine in the trash.  I think you are better off just filling them with candy like others mentioned.  
    Do you also find it acceptable to ask friends and family to buy you things @yess0311 ?  Because, well, if someone hosts their own shower that's what they are doing.

• yess0311yess0311 member
    edited May 2014
    @sschwege & @bliss+berry like I said I wouldn't do it because you're right I don't feel comfortable asking for gifts.  I can afford everything I need..there is no need for me to ask for gifts.  But I have gone to baby showers that have been thrown by the MTB and I have attended and purchased a gift.  So I do not frown on others that do it.  It's not my thing, but hey if someone really wants to throw themselves a shower then by all means go for it! Whoever wants to go can go and whoever doesn't won't.  

Edit: sorry I'm still not familiar with the reply and quote or it seems to just not work for me. 
    Nov '14 June Siggy Challenge--Dream Vacation
    Bora Bora

TTC since 3/2009 PCOS, Hypothyroid, both Fallopian tubes blocked *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 
    Treatment IVF Cycle #1 (12/2013) ... BFN :-(

IVF Cycle #2 (2/2014) 
    2/21/14 ER..2/24/14 ET - 3 Grade 8 embryos transferred 
    6dp3dt very faint BFP!!  - it's TWINS!!! EDD 11/14/14
     *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Good for you for celebrating the upcoming arrival of your new baby! It's up to individual guests to show up or not, with or without a gift. From past showers I've noticed it's not about the gift as much as spending time with friends and family. No judgement here. Maybe candy for the jars?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dear miss Etiquette, you should have more class than to attack someone for having a different opinion than your own. You're the typical judgemental troll that lives to start animosity and spread negativity on the boards. Aim your ugly criticism toward the initial post and stop trolling and insulting me. Get a life and you are blocked, so don't bother with your calculated, arrogant, phony, passive aggressive response, DEAR.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The ironic part of it all is that I never said I was throwing my own shower.  But it's amazing that people jump to judgement so quickly, and negatively.  I would appreciate knowing how to block people.
    Thanks!
  • lmchurley said:
    The ironic part of it all is that I never said I was throwing my own shower.  But it's amazing that people jump to judgement so quickly, and negatively.  I would appreciate knowing how to block people.
    Thanks!

Oh, sweetie. You really don't understand the meaning of "irony," do you?

• how about bulbs. that way people can plant them where they want to. they are pretty cost effective. and it will be a pleasant surprise when they bloom, and a nice reminder of your special day.

"please plant this flower bulb and watch it bloom, just like the baby that will be here soon. thank you for sharing in our joy."

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• doesn't matter if its old. its my opinion and i am sharing it. if not for this mom, for others.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"