August 2013 Moms
Options

Secondary Drowning (no loss mentioned)

LokiLahveLokiLahve member
edited May 2014 in August 2013 Moms
This was posted in my local moms group...I've never heard of secondary drowning but it seems very relevant to all of us. Idk about your lo, but mine is constantly putting her face in the water at bath time & I know some have started swim classes.
Just thought I would share. No loss mentioned in the link, the kiddo is fine :)
https://www.delightedmomma.com/2014/05/secondary-drowning-my-recent-experience.html?m=1

Full story in the link above.
Secondary drowning can be difficult to recognize since the victim appears to be ok right after a near-drowning event. Your child may breath in a very small amount of water and seem like they have successfully expelled it through coughing. In secondary drowning the water may fill up some of the oxygen rich pores of the lungs, which reduces the ability to oxygenate blood as it passes through. The heart does not slow down significantly with this process but rather very very slowly so your child will still be able to talk and walk. The only symptoms may be a sudden change in personality or level of awareness (just like Ronin experienced) as the blood oxygen level drops over time.

Re: Secondary Drowning (no loss mentioned)

• Options
    ludaliludali member
    Interesting, thanks for sharing this - we are currently in swim class, and lately, we've been dunking DD quickly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow! Great info to know. Thank you for sharing.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

OaD August siggy challenge- fav show that's off the air:

http://media.giphy.com/media/ZzQxOlqIUfHfG/giphy.gif
  • Options
    I read this last night and told DH about it. Good to know!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's scary! I never knew about this. I just forwarded it to DH who's a volunteer FF and is currently taking an Emergency First Responder course and he said that it's the biggest culprit of death by drowning. 

Pretty scary, especially since we've been taking swim lessons and have been dunking him. He'll cough occasionally after dunking so now I'm going to be paranoid. 

• Options
    Thank you for sharing! Even though the little one was fine my heart dropped into my stomach just picturing him bobbing in the water trying to get air. :(

• Options
    I just read this last night and shared with with my DH. It also reminded me that every second counts and to keep my eyes on LO.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That's scary! I never knew about this. I just forwarded it to DH who's a volunteer FF and is currently taking an Emergency First Responder course and he said that it's the biggest culprit of death by drowning. 

Pretty scary, especially since we've been taking swim lessons and have been dunking him. He'll cough occasionally after dunking so now I'm going to be paranoid. 
    This!  We dunk DS a lot, he likes it, but is always coughing after.  Even in the bath, he's started to put his face in the water and drink.  Now I'm going to be crazy paranoid mommy!

• Options
    That's scary. Thanks for telling us!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options
    This happened to a young boy in my area. Made the local news, thru thier pain I think a lot of parents learned something new.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"