Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Length of nursing time

LO is 5.5 weeks and EBF. In the last couple of days I've felt as though the time she takes to nurse has decreased dramatically. Especially during night feedings. She used to nurse for 30minutes, and now sometimes is done in less than 10. I'm certainly not complaining about less time on the boob, but I'm worried she's not getting enough to eat or something. I have tried to get her to eat more and she is either completely disinterested or falls asleep and I can't wake her. I guess if she seems satisfied and poops are normal it's okay? Is it normal to see a change like this?

Re: Length of nursing time

• Mine has done the same. He's 6 weeks and has gone from 15-25 mins to 10 or less. And sometimes just one side feeding. He has decreased more at night also, but is sleeping well and still just wakes up every two hours to eat. Which is normal for him. Just go with their flow.
  • KM0715KM0715 member
    Ok great thanks! I figured it was ok given she she seems happy and is pooping but the reassurance is helpful!!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the post I had been wondering the same my LO just turned 5 weeks old
  • rlyttlerlyttle member
    Your LO is learning and getting more efficient. If she is hungry I'm sure she will let you know. Are you left still feeling full or empty? If you still feel full you might want to pump after a feeding. 
  • rlyttle said:
    Your LO is learning and getting more efficient. If she is hungry I'm sure she will let you know. Are you left still feeling full or empty? If you still feel full you might want to pump after a feeding

I wouldn't do this...did it with DS and ended up with a wicked oversupply that tied me to a pump for 10+ months and made nursing nearly impossible because I would drown DS.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• You guys are all lucky bastards. My LO is 6 weeks old and still going an hour to 1.5 PER FEED. For 10 feeds a day! Feeding this child is like picking up a full time job!

Oh, the jealousy I feel over your efficient eaters! Oh, it burns! 
  • mcgeevamcgeeva member
    My lo is 9 weeks and will nurse only on one side a feeding for around 5-6 minutes and completely empty my boobs. They def get more efficient but mine has been this way since week 3

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• My little did the same thing. I still worry a bit that she isn't getting enough, but she gained ~2lbs by her 1 month appt, and had gained 2lbs 2oz at her 2 month appt. She's gaining well and pooping, so I try not to let it get to me. 

You're doing good mama! Keep it up! 
  • LaNorteLaNorte member
    You guys are all lucky bastards. My LO is 6 weeks old and still going an hour to 1.5 PER FEED. For 10 feeds a day! Feeding this child is like picking up a full time job!

Oh, the jealousy I feel over your efficient eaters! Oh, it burns! 

I am in the same boat - DS is on my breast about 8-10 hours a day! Everyone says "it gets better" but it makes me worried to hear yours still does this at 6 weeks! I don't want to quit, but I don't have it in me to keep this pace up either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"