Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

sleep and feedings

LO is almost six weeks, (I'm going to ask pedi at our next appt) he is eating 3-4oz every 3-4 hrs..pumped BM and formula.. At what point can we just let him sleep and he'll wake up and let us know when he's hungry..I'm so exhausted always checking the clock and being obsessed with ok when is the next feeding..I have to pump..ect.. I remember always hearing never wake a sleeping baby lol if he eats at 7 and doesn't fall asleep until 9..would you wake him at 10 then? Also at the two month mark does 4oz sound about right? Tia!

Re: sleep and feedings

• Options
    I've been just letting DD wake up on her own since birth...  Who put you on a schedule?  If LO is gaining well, and it's stressing you out, ditch the clock.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    I was told that we could let him sleep once he reached his birth weight. He still only goes maybe 4.5-5 hours at night, but I let him wake me up.
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    edited May 2014
    You probably could have stopped awhile ago. Agree with PPs about reaching birthweight being the guideline.

ETA I'm not sure about formula fed babies, but from one month of age through 6 months, babies need about the same amount of food each day (ie it doesn't go up from one month to two, from two to three, etc so a one month old and six month old are eating roughly about the same) and the average is 25oz a day, but a ranges of 19-30 is ok too (I just read this on kellymom yesterday because I'm getting ready to go back to work and will be pumping so I was wondering as well.) Take the number of feedings you have per day and divide 25 by that number to get a rough idea of how much your baby will eat. Adjust as necessary--does he finish the bottle and still seem like he would take more? Does he not finish the bottle? Etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    hordol said:
    You probably could have stopped awhile ago. Agree with PPs about reaching birthweight being the guideline. ETA I'm not sure about formula fed babies, but from one month of age through 6 months, babies need about the same amount of food each day (ie it doesn't go up from one month to two, from two to three, etc so a one month old and six month old are eating roughly about the same) and the average is 25oz a day, but a ranges of 19-30 is ok too (I just read this on kellymom yesterday because I'm getting ready to go back to work and will be pumping so I was wondering as well.) Take the number of feedings you have per day and divide 25 by that number to get a rough idea of how much your baby will eat. Adjust as necessary--does he finish the bottle and still seem like he would take more? Does he not finish the bottle? Etc.
    I think you mean the other way around.  Divide 25 by the number of feedings.  So if he feeds 10 times a day, then 25/10 = 2.5 ounces per feeding :-)    
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    Avion22 said:

hordol said:

You probably could have stopped awhile ago. Agree with PPs about reaching birthweight being the guideline.

ETA I'm not sure about formula fed babies, but from one month of age through 6 months, babies need about the same amount of food each day (ie it doesn't go up from one month to two, from two to three, etc so a one month old and six month old are eating roughly about the same) and the average is 25oz a day, but a ranges of 19-30 is ok too (I just read this on kellymom yesterday because I'm getting ready to go back to work and will be pumping so I was wondering as well.) Take the number of feedings you have per day and divide 25 by that number to get a rough idea of how much your baby will eat. Adjust as necessary--does he finish the bottle and still seem like he would take more? Does he not finish the bottle? Etc.

I think you mean the other way around.  Divide 25 by the number of feedings.  So if he feeds 10 times a day, then 25/10 = 2.5 ounces per feeding :-)    

Haha maybe my brain isn't working due to sleep deprivation, but isn't that what I did say? I'm rereading but after a particularly difficult night with LO my comprehension isn't the best.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    DS is FF and eats 4-6oz every 3 hours. We wake him during the day and make sure his last feeding is at 9/10pm. We then let him sleep until he wakes to eat at night. Over the last week and half it's been until 4:30-6am. DS is 10 weeks old.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I asked my doctor this question...he said to let the baby sleep.  My LO is 5 weeks old and consistently sleeps from 5-6 hours each night and has from week 1.  We both BF and use formula - what we typically do is feed a 4 oz bottle around 8:30 then let him nurse as long as he wants.  We put him in bed by 9:30 to 10:00 and he sleeps until between 3 and 4.  It's been so nice to be able to get good stretches of sleep at nice...he is definitely spoiling us!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"