Infertility
Options

Why was I perscribed methylprednisolone for IVF?

Anyone else have to take this an know why? My nurse won't go over my drugs until Saturday but I got my drug delivery today and I did not use this last time. Looking online it is a anti inflammatory steroid, but is also used for many things.

It just threw me for a loop because she never mentioned a change in drugs (other then granulex) 

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view

Re: Why was I perscribed methylprednisolone for IVF?

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I took that too. I think I started it either day of, or right before ER.
  • Options

Never mind I found it. It is used for assisted hatching which I didn't have before.

G.  METHYLPREDNISOLONE (Medrol)
    This steroid hormone is taken when the Assisted-Hatch procedure is being done, in conjunction with the Embryo Transfer. It is taken to suppress any inflammatory reaction that might occur between the embryo(s) and the endometrial lining.

Administration:  1 (16mg) tablet, by mouth, once per day as directed, OR 4 (4mg) tablets, by mouth, once per day.
    Side effects:  Fluid retention

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's funny you should aak that because I posted the same question last week..... I have a new RE and a new protocol for IVF#3.  When I tried to google it, I saw a lot of references to assisted hatching - which, to the best of my knowledge, we aren't doing this cycle. 

My understanding (from the responses I received) is that some RE's use it to aid implantation because it keeps the body from rejecting the embryos - specifically when ICSI or assited hatching are used.  I have my baseline b/w and ultrasound tomorrow, and plan to ask the nurse when she calls me :)

• Options
    i took it with both fresh cycles- i think what the pp said is correct.
  • Options

Ditto PPs.

I took it for both my fresh and my FET.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I took it for fresh & frozen cycles, to help w/ any possible inflammation that could hinder implantation (like pps said). The brand name is Medrol.
  • Options

Yep, you're all right based on what my RE told me. ?It's commonly used any time you do AH - fresh or frozen cycle. ?Some REs also use it w/o AH to help prevent your body from rejecting the transferred embryos.

Oh, and I don't know about anyone else but to me it tastes terrible - really bitter, almost like ear wax (not that I really know what ear wax tastes like... ?LOL). ?If the bottle says take with food, DO! ?;)?

• Options
    Oh, it DOES taste terrible. ?I would have a cookie near by to chase the taste away! ?blech!image
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"