February 2014 Moms

LO spits out medicine...any thoughts?

We started LO on Zantac this morning and, unfortunately, I guess she doesn't like the taste. She spit probably every drop out when I did it with lots of small squirts from a syringe. It also made her cough every time, though I assume this was more of a "it's so gross I'm gagging cough" ?? I've read about putting it in a bottle with BM, but I'm not currently giving any bottles, so that would be a bit of a pain. I've read some tricks about squirting it in and then shoving a pacifier/your boob in, etc., but because of the coughing thing I'm scared to sort of force it down. Are there any other ideas I'm missing? She's taken tylenol, thrush medication, gas drops, gripe water before with no issues, but I tasted the Zantac and it really does have a strong taste. The pedi said he could go either way on the Zantac, but that it didn't hurt to try, so I'm kind of like "meh, never mind" now!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: LO spits out medicine...any thoughts?

• You can gently blow in your LO's face.  It usually gets them to swallow.  
  • Walgreens flavors LO's Zantac with grape, she likes it much better. You could try that?
  • Loading the player...
  • jrosa1jrosa1 member
    My LO spit out her medicine every time! We had to block her nose so she would swallow it. I always felt so bad! That only lasted a couple weeks and now she takes it no problem. I think she's just used to it!
  • yhaeneryhaener member
    My LO gagged on it when I gave it to her alone.  I now pour some formula into the nipple of her bottle and add her Zantac to it (I don't put it in the whole bottle in case she doesn't finish the bottle). I also have the pharmacy flavor the Zantac (grape is the only flavor available) and while it still smells terrible LO takes it mixed with the formula at the beginning of a feeding.  
  • kak808kak808 member
    Thanks! I'll try the blowing and possibly the flavoring if that doesn't work. Did anyone have the coughing thing?  I just worry she'll start choking or something if I force it down.
  • kak808kak808 member
    Awesome!  I will try some combo of these things in the AM and report back... :)
  • jrosa1 said:

My LO spit out her medicine every time! We had to block her nose so she would swallow it. I always felt so bad! That only lasted a couple weeks and now she takes it no problem. I think she's just used to it!

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to block a baby's nose. I think the baby could aspirate the medicine. I may be wrong but that just does not seem like a good idea to me. May work for a toddler but a 3-4 month old I rather try the other tips.
  • Mix it with half an ounce of milk in a bottle and give it to your LO at feeding time then give her the rest of her milk. That's what we do for the meds we have to give our son twice a day. He gulps it down because he's hungry and doesn't spit it up
  • kak808kak808 member
    Just to follow up like I said I would...this morning was another failure!  I thought small squirts to the back of the mouth + blowing would be the simplest solution, but it did not work. I think she did swallow after the first squirt, but then knew what we were up to and manage to not swallow, but rather spit it out, even when we were blowing in her face. So, we got one swallow...and then she had a giant spit up and anything that may have gone down came back up anyway!  Oh well, we may try asking them to make it grape flavored. Or maybe I'll try to bottle nipple thing.
  • I have heard a rumour that there are pacifiers that you can give medicine in, but have never seen one. They are like Bigfoot in that way. Will update if I ever find them IRL.

Not to thread jack (but actually to thread jack), @DisneyPeanut‌, how are you giving LO Prevacid? I am having troubles giving half a tab to my LO twice a day. Sometimes it takes, and sometimes it doesn't.
  • Thanks @DisneyPeanut‌. We were trying that for a while and he just kept spitting it out. Have considered getting a suspension made but I'm worried it will be the same.

Thanks @psk! I honestly never thought to look there. Clearly the sleep deprivation is taking it's toll on my problem solving abilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"