Third-Party Reproduction

Intro

Hi there. My name is Amber and my partner and I have been TTC using donor sperm for 9 IUI's now. Our very first iui we got a BFP, but was short lived through Beta Hell. Ended up with D & C and laparoscopy to correct a uterine septum. HSG done last month looked fine. RE doesn't know why it's not working.

We've decided to do one final IUI this month before pulling out the big guns for IVF.

Does anybody here have thoughts suggestions for us moving forward with IVF? What questions should we be asking RE at this point? Is there a way to determine if it's an egg quality problem or an implantation issue prior to IVF?

I have reached out on the LGBT board but didn't get much response. Hoping to join all of you if you have room for one more.

10 medicated IUI's (3 with injectables). 
IUI #1 (medicated) Jan. 2013-BFP!!!!- Beta's didn't double, MTX shot for possible ectopic.
8 IUI's between April 13-April 14 = BFN 
IUI #10 and final before IVF, injectables May 2014- BFP!!!!  TWINS!!!!

7 week ultrasound showed 2 wonderful heartbeats!
8 weeks to the ER with vaginal bleeding while on vacations!  Diagnosed SubChorionic Hemorrhage.  Babies are both great.
9 week ultrasound showed both babies are still great.

Re: Intro

• refeek1refeek1 member
    I don't have any answers, but I wanted to welcome you. I just did an intro and everyone has been so nice and welcoming.

TTC #1 since May 2010

OE IVF #1  9/2/13 Cancelled- poor response

DE IVF #1 3/12/14- BFP 3/17/14- ectopic, right tube removed 4/11/14 @ 7 weeks

DE FET #1 7/3/14-Transferred 2 5AA 6 day embryos Beta 7/13/14 BFN

DE FET #2 9/5/14-Transferred 2 4BB 5 day embryos Beta 9/15/14 BFN

DE FET #3 in December- Cancelled, didn't respond to meds

DE FET #3 (2nd try) 2/13/15- Transferred 1 4BB and 1 4BA 5 day embryos Beta 2/23/15  BFN again (CP)

DE FET #4 - last 2 frosties....5/22/15- Transferred 1 4BA embryo...only one frostie thawed properly.  Beta scheduled for 6/1-  BFN (beta 2, 2.81, 6, 23, 49.4) 6/15/15 Discovered ectopic in left tube.  Methotrexate given. Moving on to a new donor. Hoping to transfer by the end of the year.

Cant find a donor that is healthy and available.  Looking at being happy with just the two of us.

• pmv81pmv81 member
    I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I wish I had some advice to share, but I'm just getting ready for my first IUI with DS next month. 

Welcome to the board, sometimes responses come slower than other boards from what I hear but there are many women here that have great advice & endless support.

Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome!
    Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if it is an egg quality problem without doing IVF. Once you see how the embryos do, it can give you more information. I know it's a big gamble, but you can learn quite a bit from one cycle. 

It is a tough road, but you can do it! Feel free to ask questions once you hear what your RE has to say and also lurking on the Infertility board really educated me when I first started down this road.

One thing I will add is to make sure you have a hysterosonogram after a septate resection. I didn't and later found out I had scar tissue from either the resection or a D&C.
    Good luck!

TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

• hello from another board newbie and fellow DS user.  I don't have any info for you but wanted to say welcome. 

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
    April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
    May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
    12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

• Welcome, I'm sorry you've been through so much. No info for you because my one and only IVF cycle was a total nightmare/fail. But lots of experienced people here to help you out! 

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Hi & welcome! I'm sorry to hear that you've been through so much & wish you the best of luck with your IUI! As far as IVF goes, it's overwhelming when you look at the whole process at once, but if you break it down and take it one step at a time it's manageable. Unfortunately, there's no way to know what the egg quality is before getting them under the microscope. Even then, it can all be very vague as there is still so much behind the science that is unknown. In our case, all of our numbers are in the normal range (AMH, FSH, etc), and I've always produced plenty of follicles for each stim cycle. Our problem is that the embryos don't have the energy to make it to blastocyst. Feel free to ask your IVF questions around here, but you might also want to check out the Infertility board. It's much more active, and most of the ladies are undergoing IVF so there's a lot of experience there too.
    TTC since March 2012
    Dx: Unexplained IF, Arcuate Uterus, Minimal Endometriosis, Poor Embryo Quality
    Tx History: 1 Injects+TI, 5 IUIs, 3 IVFs, 1 FET = all BFN and full of heartbreak
    Plan: Waiting to see if our potential donor is a match for DE IVF #1

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
  • J&D2007J&D2007 member
    I'm sorry about your struggles and disappointment. I agree with pp that you probably won't know any more until you go through ivf. That will tell if the eggs are of good quality and if there is anything wearing with the embryos that they are not making it. Are your iuis going well as far as number of follicles, etc?
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Hi and welcome!! IVF can definitely bring issues to light that can't be detected any other way. For some it works like a magic bullet; for others it points in the direction of additional things that need to be done. Good luck as you move forward.
  • Responding great to follistim. To point I'm slightly worried about higher order multiples if it works. This past time we had 6-7 follicles and estridol levels were through the roof.

We have done 2 cycles now of follistim and this is our 3rd.

We go tomorrow for a saline ultrasound. Wondering if there is scar tissue or polyps.

10 medicated IUI's (3 with injectables). 
    IUI #1 (medicated) Jan. 2013-BFP!!!!- Beta's didn't double, MTX shot for possible ectopic.
    8 IUI's between April 13-April 14 = BFN 
    IUI #10 and final before IVF, injectables May 2014- BFP!!!!  TWINS!!!!

7 week ultrasound showed 2 wonderful heartbeats!
    8 weeks to the ER with vaginal bleeding while on vacations!  Diagnosed SubChorionic Hemorrhage.  Babies are both great.
    9 week ultrasound showed both babies are still great.
  • Here are some questions I asked our RE about our first IVF cycle.  Some are pretty specific, and I'm not sure if they'd all apply to you or not.

- Will it be medicated or natural?  If medicated are there options other than injections?
    - What type of medications will need to be taken?
    - How many embryos are recommended for transfer/why?
    - How are embryos frozen (if there are extra)?
    - How many embryos is "typical"?
    - How many days of rest are recommended after transfer?
    - What lining measurement do you want to see?
    - What testing needs to be done prior to an IVF cycle?
    *****siggy*****
    Me: 33 (Mosaic Turner's Syndrome/POF) 
    DH: 35 (no male factor)
    3/10 - Foster Mr. T for 1 month
    3/11 - Foster AL for 1 year
    7/11 Known donor retrieval 7 fertilized 
    7/11 DE Transfer -BFP & 5 FE
    4/9/12 Miracle baby girl arrives!
    Planning for FET 7/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards