Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

waiting for natural m/c with blighted ovum

Hi everyone,

We found out last week that we are experiencing our fourth miscarriage. I went in at 7w4d and it is a blighted ovum.

Even though this is my fourth loss, it is my first BO. With my other losses, they have all been missed miscarriages, and about a month further along (between 10 and 12 weeks), so I have always had a D&C because my OB felt it was safer at that gestation. This time, the sac is only measuring in the 6 week range and I would much rather avoid yet another surgery with general anesthesia.

I guess I'm wondering how long it will take to miscarry naturally. I know we are all different, but I am trying to get into my brain what is "normal" and what isn't. I have had no spotting or cramping or anything. My HCG last week (when they discovered the BO) was 22,000+. I'm getting more blood work this Wednesday and another u/s on Thursday (to make sure the sac doesn't grow, and is hopefully shrinking).

Any advice or experience with this? I am truly okay with waiting, I just wish I had a clue for how long it will be.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

Re: waiting for natural m/c with blighted ovum

• tlc35tlc35 member
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure since I opted for a D&C, but I have heard it can take up to a few weeks.
    ETA: I'm so sorry for your losses.
    Me: 37                                               
    DH: 45
    BFP #1 3/19/14  EDD 11/29/14 MMC D&C 4/24/14
    BFP #2  12/4/14 Beta #1 218 at 12dpo Beta #2 1055 at 16dpo
    Saw heartbeat 12/29.  Please be a rainbow.
    imagerainbows

All welcome                                   

• KingLEDKingLED member
    Sorry for your loss. I wish there was an answer, but it's different for everyone. I hope it doesn't drag on for you and you're able to dtart healing soon.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, everyone.

Married 6/28/03

*~*~*~*~*

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• I am sorry for your loss. There is a thread at the top of the page with others' experiences with natural miscarriage. I had a D&C for a missed miscarriage. I spotted, but nothing else happened in what I considered to be a reasonable time. I have read it can take weeks in some cases. Does your doctor have any insight?
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • I started spotting at 6 weeks, but didn't miscarry until almost 10 weeks.  It can take awhile!
  • I am sorry for your loss. There is a thread at the top of the page with others' experiences with natural miscarriage. I had a D&C for a missed miscarriage. I spotted, but nothing else happened in what I considered to be a reasonable time. I have read it can take weeks in some cases. Does your doctor have any insight?
    He's willing to wait awhile. He said he would guess it will take 3 weeks or so, but obviously that mother nature is unpredictable. I am 8w2d right now from LMP... I'm having blood work on Wednesday so hopefully my HCG has dropped in the past week.

Married 6/28/03

*~*~*~*~*

• I hope it goes quickly for you Sweet Pea. ((Hugs))
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • LisaG09LisaG09 member
    I experienced a blighted ovum also and though my levels were dropping, the gestational sac was growing normally so my doctor recommended the D&C. I was almost 10 weeks by the time of the D&C and I hadn't experienced any bleeding or cramping at that time. I'm so sorry for your loss and that you are going through this.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• **Siggy Warning***

I'm soo sorry for your losses.  My first loss was a BO and they suggested I wait to m/c naturally.  She told me that if didn't m/c within a month they would schedule a D&C.  I lasted the month and ended up with a D&C anyway.

| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Tracker</a>[url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/43ff7d]
    [img]http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/43ff7d/ttc.png[/img]
    [/
    RA with Sjogren's Syndrome. Risk of heart block in newborn. Age: DH and I are both 38.
    BFP #1: 11/25/2007, EDD 7/28/2008 - Missed m/c (blighted ovum) 12/6/2007 6w3d, D&C 1/3/2008.
    BFP #2: 4/2008 - Natural m/c at 6w.
    Met with RE in 5/2008 full cycle analysis and SA normal. Not considered high risk for blood clots but prescribed 1 baby aspirin a day precautionary during TTC and Progesterone suppositories during 1st trimester of pregnancy.
    BFP #3: 10/17/2008. EDD 6/23/2009,  Third time's the charm! Healthy baby boy born 6/27/2009 via emergency c-section.
    BFP #4: 6/14/2011. Healthy baby boy born 2/16/2012 via elective c-section.
    BFP #5: 1/15/2014. EDD 9/22/2014. 
    2/17/14:.We have a BABY!!! Heart rate 167 and measuring on time. 3/10/14 u/s #2 baby measuring perfectly at 12 weeks at heart rate of 166. NT u/s was normal. Maternit21 blood draw on 3/5/14. Results back on 3/19 - Normal.  It's a BOY!!!  4/10/14 at 16 weeks, 3 days discovered baby's heart stopped at 15 weeks, 6 days. D&C 4/11/14.  Pathology results were all normal.  New information on 8/11/14 - blood test revealed 1/3 of babys blood was in mine caused, most likely, by a tear in the placenta from extreme coughing.  Doctor believes this to be the cause of death.  Repeat D&C and Hysteroscopy scheduled for 8/19/14.  My Chart

• My doctor told me it would take anywhere from a couple days to six weeks. But my mc started with bleeding. I believe I've already passed everything, but my doctor is starting to get concerned by my hCG levels. It's been about three weeks for me at this point. The nurses and midwives I talked to said to expect a "period" by the same time your next expected AF would come along.
    I hope you're doing ok. I believe the waiting is the worst. Sorry for your loss!
    BabyFruit Ticker

image      image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"